.380 vs 9mm for the little lady

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

.380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby Reflexred » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:11 am

I have been looking into getting my better half a small pistol to learn to shoot on, and keep in the night stand/purse. I really like the looks of the walther pk380 and i think they come in fashionable colors which may entice her to want to learn how to shoot. But what it really comes down to for my mental health, is which one is going to stop a potential threat more effectively for a woman. I have family members and friends who wife's carry .380 and seem to like the caliber, but i thought it might make an interesting discussion here. So...fire away with suggestions.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:33 am

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby ktrout » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:01 am

I like my Ruger LCP. Very light and concealable and not too hard to hit what I'm aiming at.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
User avatar
ktrout
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 3091
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:12 am
Location: USDA Climate zone 9b

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 am

9mm - cheap bullets, better stopping power


~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
User avatar
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS
 
Posts: 7924
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:58 am
Location: My Job is More Interesting Than Your Vacation

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby Rhah » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:52 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:9mm - cheap bullets, better stopping power


~JITW


+1

Check out SIG, Glock, Springfield Armory.

But if you have your heart set on .380 take a look at the SIG 232 or 232SL. Soild pistol. I'm not a big fan of the European style mag release that is at the heel of the grip. It just takes getting used to.

232SL
Image

Simple breakdown

Image
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
User avatar
Rhah
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:53 am

I had one of those Sigs years ago and never bonded with it. While more comfortable than the PPK, I thought is had a lot of recoil for a .380. If possible, have her try as many pistols as possible and see what she's most comfortable with.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
User avatar
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 4105
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:12 pm
Location: Bahrain

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:38 am

If you are going to go for a PPK sized pistol then go with a 5 shot .38


~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
User avatar
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS
 
Posts: 7924
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:58 am
Location: My Job is More Interesting Than Your Vacation

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby 333RM » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:29 pm

I'd go with th 9 for the extra power peace of mind for yourself. I've had several of my girlfriends out shooting in the past and they all seemed to handle the 9 fine with a little trigger time
One shot, one kill...
333RM
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: San Joaquin Valley, NorCal

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby Reflexred » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:48 pm

thanks for the responses, gonna try and get her out to the range this weekend to shoot the 2 9's i have and see how she does with them and go from there...this will be her first time out, gonna try and get her to shoot the 5.56 and 7.62 also lolol, this should be interesting.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:33 am

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:27 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:If you are going to go for a PPK sized pistol then go with a 5 shot .38


~JITW


I can't argue with that unless she really hates shooting it. Those little fuckers bite, but I love them as carry guns (specifically the S&W 642).
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
User avatar
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 4105
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:12 pm
Location: Bahrain

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby ktrout » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Chimborazo wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:If you are going to go for a PPK sized pistol then go with a 5 shot .38


~JITW


I can't argue with that unless she really hates shooting it. Those little fuckers bite, but I love them as carry guns (specifically the S&W 642).

Not only do they bite, but they take a lot of practice as well.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
User avatar
ktrout
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 3091
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:12 am
Location: USDA Climate zone 9b

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby BillyOblivion » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:57 am

Reflexred wrote:I have been looking into getting my better half a small pistol to learn to shoot on, and keep in the night stand/purse. I really like the looks of the walther pk380 and i think they come in fashionable colors which may entice her to want to learn how to shoot. But what it really comes down to for my mental health, is which one is going to stop a potential threat more effectively for a woman. I have family members and friends who wife's carry .380 and seem to like the caliber, but i thought it might make an interesting discussion here. So...fire away with suggestions.


Oddly enough though the REAL reason to pick the nine is that out of comparable gun it's going to be a "softer" shooter. Most .380s are straight blowback, and have higher perceived recoil. If you have testosterone or want people to think you do, then you don't care. Most women aren't out to prove how tough they are, and would prefer something a little more comfortable to shoot.

Also most women can get away with always carrying a purse or "bag" of some sort, so they can conceal a bigger pistol easier, even in heels and a skirt.

Advantages a 9mm has over a .380:
More powerful--while no real combat handgun is "powerful", the 9mm pushes a heavier bullet faster, and that means it has the inertia penetrate deeper (though clothing and fat) to get to the organs and let the blood out.
Wider options for bullets--from ball through various expanding designs to shot shells (though I don't know if there's a legitimate use case for the latter).
Wider availability of ammo. Since militaries and the popo use 9mm a lot there is always some to be had. .380 isn't as common.

Advantages of the .380:
Size--easier to conceal.
Doesn't use a "military" caliber, so it can be used in more places.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:58 am

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby BillyOblivion » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:58 am

Reflexred wrote:thanks for the responses, gonna try and get her out to the range this weekend to shoot the 2 9's i have and see how she does with them and go from there...this will be her first time out, gonna try and get her to shoot the 5.56 and 7.62 also lolol, this should be interesting.


Best thing to do is to take her to a commercial range and shoot a variety of pistols until she finds one she is comfortable with and thinks she will carry.

A .22 in her hands is better than a 10mm in the safe at home. If nothing else the police can follow the blood trail.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:58 am

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby ktrout » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:16 pm

BillyOblivion wrote:Oddly enough though the REAL reason to pick the nine is that out of comparable gun it's going to be a "softer" shooter. Most .380s are straight blowback, and have higher perceived recoil. If you have testosterone or want people to think you do, then you don't care. Most women aren't out to prove how tough they are, and would prefer something a little more comfortable to shoot.

I've found that adding the pinky extension to the mag on my LCP makes it at least tolerable. It is hard to shoot without it.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
User avatar
ktrout
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 3091
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:12 am
Location: USDA Climate zone 9b

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby Iyyob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 pm

To set the record right

1. The Walther PK380 only comes in black unlike it's colorful little buddy the P22

2. The PK380 has way less felt recoil than most 9s (and any other firearm I've shot. not including .22s ect)

3. If it's for your girl she won't find an easer slide to rack than the pk380.

4. .380 is a short 9mm and at the range most defensive handguns are used it should be plenty good. The "lead" is about the same size

5. Ammo for a .380 is not hard to find anymore and there's a selection of SD rounds.

6. The PK389 is totally differnt than the ppk line. The PK is a cross between the p22 and p99 it's bigger than some 9s I own but it's the smallest pistol that let's me get a good full grip.

Does she know proper grip and stance ?
If she's smaller or lacks exp I'd go with the pk380 if she's not a small woman and or is comfortable around guns get the 9.
My girl will not shoot my 9 or even my 5.7 but she loves the pk380 caus she can function it fully. So I don't need to go rack it for her.

On a side note I have a glock 19 that is Always sitting with me in my truck
Iyyob
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:23 am

Re: .380 vs 9mm for the little lady

Postby Woodsman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Glock 26. (9mm)

relatively inexpensive, reliable, effective - +p ammo works fine, and very easy to conceal. Aftermarket parts up the wazoo available.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
User avatar
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 7426
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:59 pm
Location: Enchanted forests

Next

Return to Guns & Weapons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests