Best .40 cal S&W?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Best .40 cal S&W?

Postby AztecDave » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Am leaning towards getting a H&K or Sig Sauer. Had a Sig 220 .45 cal and a H&K USP 9mm. Both solid pistols. What say?
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Re: Best .40 cal S&W?

Postby Tonne » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:12 pm

My favourite is the USP (issued handgun in the German army, though in 9mm, so it's the gun I'm most experienced with). It's more lightweight than a SIG cause of polymer construction but also a bit more nose-heavy. SIG, on the other hand, is considered top-notch when it comes to precision, but at the end of the day both guns can do pretty much the same (and can handle way more abuse than any American handgun) and then it's about personal preference. Check out what grip you like better, and which trigger suits you more. Also take a look on the ambidextrous mag release of the USP, some guys who grew up with 1911 don't like it and prefer the SIGs. What I do like about the USP is the decocking lever which makes setting the gun to double action (for carrying) really safe and minimizes the risk of a negligent discharge. Both SIG and HK are a bit bulky because of the external hammer when compared to a Glock - some people don't like the barrel elevated so high above the hand. I've shot both SIG and HK guns extensively and never had any stoppages, in contrast to some USA-made stuff, even had a custom-made valtro jam on me once and that was with ordinary ball ammo that had so far worked with all other 45s on the range, so I will always stick to these two brands.
But what do you need it for - range, home defense, edc, duty? They are both full sized service pistols and not made for comfort, so if you want one for concealed carry I would look into SIG because they are really big in the American civilian market and got more compact stuff to offer than HK.
Tonne

Postby Woodsman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:33 pm

-Whichever one fits your hand the best. :-)

I will say that if you're gonna get a USP, you might as well carry around a shotgun because the size of 'em is ridiculous unless you're going with the USP "compact" of course, which might make a decent pistol.

Personally I would choose a Glock 23, and then change out many of the oem parts to aftermarket ones - including and especially a barrel with a fully supported chamber.

Here's a comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ9wXzhr_4c
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:03 am

Thanks for the comments. Am leaning towards the H&K. Will check out the USP Compact. But want a frame big enuff to handle the .40 cal round w/out jumping all over the place when fired. Personally not a big Glock fan. No real good reason.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:36 pm

i had a buddy with a usp and the most striking thing about it was how much of a brick it was.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:43 pm

AztecDave wrote:Personally not a big Glock fan. No real good reason.

I wasn't either until I bought one and got used to it.

I used to carry a big pistol until one day it occurred to me that the bigger they are the more of a pain in the ass they are to carry all day long - coupled with the fact that longer barrels aren't any more accurate than shorter ones.

I carry a Glock 29 (subcompact) in 10mm. I have been able to load 1,000+ ft./lbs. of energy rounds that I shoot out of it.

That makes it extra fun. Double and triple taps not a problem once you firm your stance up. ;-)

Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:38 pm

AztecDave wrote:Am leaning towards getting a H&K or Sig Sauer.

Go SIG. I love my P229 in .40 S&W. Mine's DA/SA, I don't like the DAK trigger.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tonne » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:26 am

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xay1-w4vmY0
a video by nutnfancy, who definitely knows what he's talking about. His gear reviews may seem a bit lengthy, but it reaaly is worth watching them all the way to the end. Also check out his concealed carry protocol if you edc your gun.
He also reviews a bunch of other compact handguns. I strongly recommend watching his reviews before choosing a certain gun.
Tonne

Postby Woodsman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:34 am

Tonne wrote:Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xay1-w4vmY0
a video by nutnfancy, who definitely knows what he's talking about. His gear reviews may seem a bit lengthy, but it reaaly is worth watching them all the way to the end. Also check out his concealed carry protocol if you edc your gun.
He also reviews a bunch of other compact handguns. I strongly recommend watching his reviews before choosing a certain gun.

Agreed - that dude has quite a channel - I picked up on his youtube channel yesterday after watching something unrelated on another (tennessee out doors or something similar - testing Winchester's bonded JHP .40 s&w load).
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Simian » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:28 am

I have a Springfield XD .40 and I love it!
Simian

Postby AztecDave » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:03 am

AztecDave wrote:Thanks for the comments. Am leaning towards the H&K. Will check out the USP Compact. But want a frame big enuff to handle the .40 cal round w/out jumping all over the place when fired. Personally not a big Glock fan. No real good reason.

Have also seen the H&K P30 & P2000. They look right. Anyone have one? I like the styling.
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby rockspyder » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Woodsman wrote:-Whichever one fits your hand the best. :-)

I will say that if you're gonna get a USP, you might as well carry around a shotgun because the size of 'em is ridiculous unless you're going with the USP "compact" of course, which might make a decent pistol.

Personally I would choose a Glock 23, and then change out many of the oem parts to aftermarket ones - including and especially a barrel with a fully supported chamber.

+1. I've shot the USP numerous times, it is a nice weapon, but big, and IMO, clunky in comparison to the Glock. Especially the G23. But I'm a big fan of that platform in 9mm, .40, and .357, so I'm biased.

Never shot a SIG, of any type, I think. Never really felt a need. But I've held them many times, and they are too big and clunky for me. So for me it falls to the Glock G23. YM, obviously, MV.
rockspyder

Postby Hitoru » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:06 pm

I prefer the Sig over pretty much everything except 1911's.

It's taken a while but I'm starting to like it as much as my worn out 1947 Remington Rand .45 . I can't point and shoot as well with the Sig but I still got a four round 3" group at 35' in about 2 seconds yesterday.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Woodsman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Hitoru wrote:I prefer the Sig over pretty much everything except 1911's.

It's taken a while but I'm starting to like it as much as my worn out 1947 Remington Rand .45 . I can't point and shoot as well with the Sig but I still got a four round 3" group at 35' in about 2 seconds yesterday.

What do you do with your spent brass Mr. Hitoru?
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:47 pm

I sell it to the scrap dealer.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!