AK47

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

AK47

Postby Tirador » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Who makes a high quality AK? what criteria do I want to shop for?
Dpx gunclub
Tirador

Re: AK47

Postby coldharvest » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:32 pm

Who makes a high quality AK?

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/weapon.shtml

what criteria do I want to shop for?

don't buy one with the numbers scratched off
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Hitoru » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:34 pm

What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:03 am

Buy a stock Romanian one

Reason Here:

http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2011/03/2 ... ng-part-2/

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby mapandcompass » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:41 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Buy a stock Romanian one

Reason Here:

~JITW

Another solid article, James. People are always singing the praises of the AK: "It never jams, most reliable rifle ever, etc. etc." but you're absolutely right... shitty ammo and shitty mags can still wreck your day.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:50 am

mapandcompass wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:Buy a stock Romanian one

Reason Here:

~JITW

Another solid article, James. People are always singing the praises of the AK: "It never jams, most reliable rifle ever, etc. etc." but you're absolutely right... shitty ammo and shitty mags can still wreck your day.

Luckily if you are in the us those problems are minimal - use US Palm magazines and good factory ammo and you will be fine

If you have an unlimited budget you can get one of those pimp custom AK's - otherwise just buy a Romanian at a gun show

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Hitoru » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Romanian AK's in Iraq aren't parts kits like the ones for sale here in the U.S .
Romy AK's are the bottom of the barrel here as far as Ak's go. Buyer beware, they are the cheapest for a reason.

The most important thing to look for in a U.S. assembled Romy is a canted gas block. The front sights also come from the assemblers canted sometimes.

If you can buy new for around $ 400 you'll be good to go.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Tirador » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:20 am

Thanks a lot. I nearly swallowed my tongue when I saw the prices for the high end: I had no idea. I'm used to seeing them between 4 and 7.
Dpx gunclub
Tirador

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:50 am

Hitoru wrote: Romy AK's are the bottom of the barrel here as far as Ak's go. Buyer beware, they are the cheapest for a reason. .

I have been running my Romanian AK's way hard here in Iraq and I am extremely impressed with there reliability, accuracy and ability to run under hard use environments

What sort of problems do people in the States say they have?

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Hitoru » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:06 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
Hitoru wrote: Romy AK's are the bottom of the barrel here as far as Ak's go. Buyer beware, they are the cheapest for a reason. .

I have been running my Romanian AK's way hard here in Iraq and I am extremely impressed with there reliability, accuracy and ability to run under hard use environments

~JITW

The Romy's run fine. I only disparage Romanian AK's due to their fit and finish compared with other European AK's.

The only problems with the Romys I know of is canted gas blocks which can put the piston at a bad angle resulting in jams. And also of course hard to zero.

One of the Romys I had I left in the garage for a couple if years without touching,it had the piston rust to the gas block. I sprayed it with WD40, wrapped the charging handle and banged on it to no avail. I finally put the rifle barrel down towards the floor and stomped on the charging handle and it broke loose.That was like, four years ago, it runs fine, it's the same one I gave to the kid for his 20th b day .

Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby BillyOblivion » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:10 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:

~JITW

The AKs we are getting here until a couple years ago had been dis-assembled, had their receivers either cut, or removed and came across as "parts kits". They were then rebuilt using US made receivers and enough US parts to make them 922r compliant.

Some of the cheaper re-manufacturers shipped guns with canted gas blocks, or other defects. Also these often were not purchased by serious people for serious purposes, but rather by cheap fools who then tried to turn them into ARs by putting all manner of M4ish crap on them.

The AK is an AK and wants to be run like an AK, not like an AR. Yeah, adding a front rail and a red-dot and a flashlight are good. Putting the cheapest folding stock you can find on it, and dust cover rail for your tasco fucking scope and you're going to have problems.

To quote this guy from over another forum, you pay for what you get. If you buy cheap shit you'll pay for it a different way later.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:32 pm

"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:48 am

Damn 2K+ for an AK?

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby BillyOblivion » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:32 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:

Damn 2K+ for an AK?
~JITW

Yeah, but dood, you see all the rails on that thing? you could have vertical AND horizontal fore grips, you could mount a scope on the dust cover and a Red Dot on the side so up close you just flip the rifle on it's side and it's got the nifty collapsible (why's it called "collapsible? Hit someone REALLY HARD with it and find out) stock on it, so you can get JUST the right LOP for your body armor either standing up, or going prone and and and...

To be fair MOST of their AKs are in the ~1250 range, and are worth it (more or less). The 2k gun really is over the top.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!