HEST dive knife

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: HEST dive knife

Postby RYP » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:44 am

"I have a custom Titanium neck knife, it is sweet and holds a nice edge and has a Rockwell hardness of 59"

Doubt its 59 and that it gets "sharper with use". Show me the specs. high end tool steels used for milling with coating are around 60 rockwell. You would be lucky to get around 56 - 58 and that is a stretch. You don't use titanium to hold an edge, its used to not corrode. Beta Titanium barely gets up that high and would be brittle as shit if it could. But its in vogue to have miracle materials now. Personally I would make a karambit necker out of ceramic. Doenst print, sharper and alhough brittle would only need to be used once to pay for itself. Other option is to put a micro serrated edge to create serious slash
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:48 am

RYP wrote:Doubt its 59 and that it gets "sharper with use". Show me the specs.

Dude I don't have "specs" - my buddy made it and that's what he told me, I can't think of a reason why he would lie to me especially considering it was a gift. Take it up with him if you don't believe him

suwon fish wrote:Curious design, does it come from a classic fighting system?

It is a Wharncliffe Blade - Google "Michael Janich" to see the fighting style behind why the Wharncliffe style blade is the best for small bladed knives

And here is an article I wrote on that knife - http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/11/0 ... ps-review/

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby jacktrades_nbk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:56 pm

here is an old nice entertaining video with Janich
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2124365354540679127#
DPx Gun Club\Tribe member
jacktrades_nbk

Postby Tripton » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:08 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
RYP wrote:Doubt its 59 and that it gets "sharper with use". Show me the specs.

Dude I don't have "specs" - my buddy made it and that's what he told me, I can't think of a reason why he would lie to me especially considering it was a gift. Take it up with him if you don't believe him

suwon fish wrote:Curious design, does it come from a classic fighting system?

It is a Wharncliffe Blade - Google "Michael Janich" to see the fighting style behind why the Wharncliffe style blade is the best for small bladed knives

And here is an article I wrote on that knife - http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/11/0 ... ps-review/

~JITW

Most Ti alloys are in the 40's Rockwell hardness.

A quick google search will show that. 59 is really, really, really hard for Ti.
Tripton

Postby RYP » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:00 am

"Take it up with him if you don't believe him"

If you are gonna be a gear guy, you better develop a simple BS filter...the Rockwell hardness is a simple test

RYP

Postby Hitoru » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:50 am

Ain't it a Wharncliffe blade made into a Karambit ?

#(10) A Wharncliffe blade is similar in profile to a sheep's foot but the curve of the back edge starts closer to the handle and is more gradual. Its blade is much thicker than a knife of comparable size.[7] Wharncliffe's were used by sailors, as the shape of the tip prevented accidental penetration of the work or the user's hand with the sudden motion of a ship.

You should know about Karambits from living in Indo James.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:17 pm

RYP wrote:"Take it up with him if you don't believe him"

If you are gonna be a gear guy, you better develop a simple BS filter...the Rockwell hardness is a simple test

ok dude, you win - he is a liar and you are right

I don't know why I would ever trust a friend who is a master knife maker over RYP

you act like this and then wonder why your customers don't like you

And you know as well as I do the only reason why you are making a Titanium Knife is because it is cool and people who are into TI stuff will buy it - I just think it is funny you are marketing a product to the exact same group of people who you make fun of and obviously have nothing in common with

But no matter - If you market it on the right forums and to the right people you will make a killing with it, but I am willing to bet you wont

I would also suggest that you do not do a pre-buy

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby RYP » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:54 pm

I'm all ears and checkbook if he can deliver the specs I spend a lot of time with people who are a lot smarter than me and they are they can only promise 58 Rockwell max. The non ferrous is for EOD so its not about cool, its about not getting blown up. Customers define "cool" I don't.
RYP

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:22 pm

RYP wrote:I'm all ears and checkbook if he can deliver the specs I spend a lot of time with people who are a lot smarter than me and they are they can only promise 58 Rockwell max. The non ferrous is for EOD so its not about cool, its about not getting blown up. Customers define "cool" I don't.

Ok dude - I am sure the knife is only for EOD guys not for people who buy anything TI

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby RYP » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:21 am

Non ferrous means it has no metal. Most Dive Knives are stainless with a couple Beta Titanium. I dive knife has a different ergonomic need and they are usually cheap so exotics don't do that well.
RYP

Postby Woodsman » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:29 am

I am going to put together a knife here pretty soon - just for fun. It is a piece of cake for me to do, but now that business has turned around 100% and I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest it's just a matter of finding time to get out in the barn and work some metal.

I have everything I need right here to make a toothpick or sword. My design is going to be based on my favorite knife which I use most often to cut up food in the kitchen: The every day humble steak knife - only heavy duty skeletonized handle and a slightly stouter, less flexible blade. I think I will build this first one out of carbon steel and blue it.

It won't be for sale, but I post a pic when I get it done.

I would build it out of a stainless, but the mig welder I have here isn't set up for stainless work.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!