camera lens advice.

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

camera lens advice.

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:57 pm

So my camera came with a 18 to 55 mm lens and I wouldent mind havin a zoom with me for my next time out that should be in Sept / Oct after rickshaw season is over. Cant decide what to go with though as there are many options and I am more or less clueless.

Am lookin at this one.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/pro ... /show.html

It starts at 55mm right where the lens I have now finishes off and goes up to 250mm. it is kinda cheap in price and should be affordable come the end of season.

or there is this bad boy.

This one costs almost twice as much and goes to 300mm but I will lose out on the 55mm to 70mm. Is that a big deal? And why does an extra 50mm of zoom cost almost double?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Re: camera lens advice.

Postby rahulsharmajammu » Wed May 11, 2011 12:30 pm

Dude, If I was you, I would go on Ebay and get Canon FD mount lenses, and get an FD adapter for your EOS. WAY cheaper. You only have manual focus, but what gives, you arent really going for uber low light or sport photography. I do concert shots in front of a mosh pit with manual, so life shouldnt be difficult. OR Get prime lenses, better image quality and lower fstops. You will be much better off. Zooms kinda suck anyway, unless you burn a shit tonne of rupees on them.
Posting on on-line discussion boards is like running in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you are still a retard.
rahulsharmajammu

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:23 pm

Im still at the beginner stage with an entery lever 500D so I aint lookin for anything to fancy at the moment though it sounds like a good idea if I ever get to the stage where I would want to haul around a whole lotta kit.

tonne of rupees

Would you want to do a long haul India Rail trip with a whole lotta camera kit? Or chicken bus? Matatu? Im still tryin to figure out where in the backpack the laptops gonna go and what is gonna be left behind.

How much luck do you have buyin this stuff on e bay anyway? Other than a few t shirts I have not bought anything off the internet and dont want to do so as I dont want to edn up with a fucked up lens or anything else for that matter.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Well I had a quick look at e bay uk and saw 4 or 5 people flogging the 55mm to 250mm lens for under 150 quid. lotsa other good deals on there too.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby rahulsharmajammu » Wed May 11, 2011 3:42 pm

nah man, my kit has like a 35mm, a 50 mm; both primes, and a 18 to 55 for zoom. I really dont need anything else. Zooms make lazy photographers anyway, prime lenses are faster and make you move a bit. I do Nikon, and I use a lot of ebay shit, my f5 was from ebay, just dont buy shit from under a 99.5% rating i guess. And go to www.Kenrockwell.com . He is a nikon whore, but he talks a lot of sense.
Posting on on-line discussion boards is like running in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you are still a retard.
rahulsharmajammu

Postby rahulsharmajammu » Wed May 11, 2011 3:45 pm

General compartment in Indian railway. All day, err day. If and when I am in India. Mostly I am stateside. and 3 lenses are like cake in a nice backpack. If you go Molle, you might even get a free RPG carrier bundled in.
rahulsharmajammu

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri May 13, 2011 10:23 am

get the cheaper one

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby BillyOblivion » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:31 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:So my camera came with a 18 to 55 mm lens and I wouldent mind havin a zoom with me for my next time out that should be in Sept / Oct after rickshaw season is over. Cant decide what to go with though as there are many options and I am more or less clueless.

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/efs_55-250IS/

It starts at 55mm right where the lens I have now finishes off and goes up to 250mm. it is kinda cheap in price and should be affordable come the end of season.

or there is this bad boy.

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/70-300is/review.html

This one costs almost twice as much and goes to 300mm but I will lose out on the 55mm to 70mm. Is that a big deal? And why does an extra 50mm of zoom cost almost double?

One is an EF, one is an EF-S.

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html says:
What is an EF-S lens?

From the introduction of the EOS camera system in 1987 through to 2003, Canon standardized on a single lens mount system for all of their SLR cameras - the EF (electrofocus) lens mount. So throughout this time there was no possible source of confusion, since all EF lenses made by Canon and other lensmakers will physically fit all Canon EOS cameras.

However, in 2003 Canon introduced a new digital camera, the consumer-oriented EOS 300D/Digital Rebel/Kiss Digital camera, which sported a new lens mount design dubbed EF-S. All consumer to midrange digital EOS cameras released since have been both EF and EF-S compatible. For reasons explained in a moment, no film camera has ever been EF-S compatible.

So it’s important to remember that digital camera bodies with EF-S lens mounts are totally compatible with all regular EF lenses. However an EF-S lens can fit only EF-S compatible cameras and no others. (unless the lens is altered - see the section on hacking below).

EF-S bodies have small mirror boxes - roughly 2/3 the size of a regular EOS camera (also known as a 1.6x cropping factor) - because they use image sensors which are smaller in area than a frame of 35mm film. They are thus often called subframe cameras. Cameras which use 35mm film, or which contain digital sensors the same size as a frame of 35mm film, are commonly called full frame cameras these days.

EF-S cameras thus support lenses with a shorter back focus distance than EF lenses, because the mirror swings further back. This is where the “S” comes from - EF-S lenses have shorter back focus distances. (ie: the back part of the lens can get physically closer to the image sensor since the mirror is smaller) Having a shorter back focus distance allows Canon to produce cheaper wide-angle lenses that work with the smaller image format of a subframe digital SLR, since it’s optically very challenging to create a wide angle lens with a long back focus distance.

Canon have a range of EF-S lenses available, ranging from inexpensive kit lenses to very good high-quality lenses with image stabilization. There’s even a very interesting 60mm macro lens with an EF-S mount. The super wide angle EF-S 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 USM (roughly 16-35mm coverage if it were full frame) is particularly well regarded, as is the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM, which is an L lens in all but build quality and name.

The main issue to be concerned about with EF-S is the future value of the lenses. Right now full-frame image sensors are extremely expensive to make, which is why nearly all digital SLRs out there have image sensors smaller than that of a frame of 35mm film. But in the future it’s likely that prices on such sensors will drop, at which time full-frame digital SLRs will become more affordable and thus EF-S lenses will no longer be of use except on pre-existing cameras. The two questions are - how long will this take and will you be able to get good use of your investment in EF-S lenses before this occurs? The first nobody knows the answer to, and the second can only be answered by you. For the time being it seems likely that it’ll be some years before affordable full-frame sensors are ubiquitous, so EF-S lenses aren’t necessarily a bad idea, assuming you aren’t planning on upgrading to full-frame as soon as you can.

If it were me (and it sort of was as I just went through this sort of) I'd get (as in I did get) the less expensive zoom--I'm not a professional photographer yet, and probably can't even be considered a good amateur any more, so the extra quality of the great glass is wasted. I can use good glass though.

And with them money I saved I bought a 30mm (50mm equivalent) 1.4F prime lens for shooting in low light, closer up (portrait shots) etc., and (re)-learning how to use aperture to control depth of field etc.

The thing is that if you DO get good enough to justify the better glass you will be able use the cheaper lens places you may not want to risk your nicer glass etc.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:39 pm

Cheers.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Hotstepper » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:10 am

I have the Canon Rebel XS which is the cheapest in Canon's SLR line. I replaced the kit lens (18-55) with the EFS 18-200mm. That lens is $599 on Amazon in the US right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-18-200mm-3- ... 103&sr=8-9

There are no disadvantages to using this lens instead of the kit lens, except for extra weight and cost, and it gives you the zoom feature in case you can't get up close to a subject.

And, you don't have to carry around the kit lens, so you can just go with this.

I would also buy a UV protection filter so that the lens doesn't get scratched. You can leave it on all the time, and it is only $13, so much cheaper to replace than a scratched $600 lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-58mm-UV-Pr ... =pd_cp_p_2

If you want to carry two lenses, you can save a lot of money and get this zoom for $185.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250mm-4- ... =pd_cp_p_1

You have to decide that, how much gear you want to haul, time you want to spend switching the lenses (you would have to switch lenses for a lot of up close photos, as the cheaper zoom lens doesn't go down to that 18-55 mm range).

My goal as a photographer is to have photos that are good enough to sell alongside articles I write, so I want to have strong photos, but I don't expect to land on the cover of Time Magazine.

That's a different game, and the costs start at $10,000.
Hotstepper

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!