SIG 1911 carry nitron...opinions??

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

SIG 1911 carry nitron...opinions??

Postby Reflexred » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:47 pm

I have been hearing good things about the SIG 1911 GSR from the guys at my local shop. I have also read some reviews on random blogs around the interweb saying good things..I have been thinking about picking up the carry version of the sig 1911, nitron, thought i would post here and see if anyone had any thoughts on this thing...I really like the SA Champion operator as well and its a toss up between the two for the next purchase.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred

Re: SIG 1911 carry nitron...opinions??

Postby hso » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:19 pm

At $725 it is a good gun, but unless you're a Sig fan I don't see that it is better than many other quality 1911s from Springfield or Colt or elsewhere when it gets into the $800 range. Also, the Sig 1911 uses a proprietary extractor and grip safety that you have to get from Sig instead of ordering from a dozen different sources.
hso

Postby Woodsman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:26 pm

I haven't shot any of those makes of 1911s - but I like the 1911 design, especially the trigger.

Personally, if I was going to spend money on a 1911 based pistol, I'd probably go with a Fusion wide body, commander sized slide and chambered in 10mm.

with a light rail mounted to it, and low profile carry beveled adjustable sights.

I like versatility. This one is fine for self defense and practical for deer hunting.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:37 pm

I own and like my .40 Sig Pro, but I prefer STI 1911s.

Come on,now how many deer have you really shot with your 10mm semi-auto handgun there woody ?
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Woodsman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Hitoru wrote:I own and like my .40 Sig Pro, but I prefer STI 1911s.

Come on,now how many deer have you really shot with your 10mm semi-auto handgun there woody ?

None yet -

I've only had this little Glock 29 for just shy of 2 years. I didn't go hunting the first season after I got it, because I didn't have time to do any load development with the 10mm. I was still getting used to this pistol also.

By the time I decided to go hunting last year, the doe permits were all gone when I went to get a license. I bought 2 buck permits, but did not get a decent shot on a buck. This year I will sign up ahead of time for a doe permit or (probably) two and get one (at least) and it should not be a problem at all to nail a doe with it.

However - the hunting situation on my land bothers me somewhat because we have at least 2 nursing does with fawns right now, and I know one nursing doe was shot last season by the neighbors (deer camp folks - they don't live up here). Also, a button buck was shot and left on an adjacent land by (I think) the same young man - blood trail was leading from his position. Not sure that I am going to hunt here or not. It is seemingly a deer nursery area.

You saw my "range" here - we're solid woods up here. Shots </=25y are quite common here, ones only limitation of close shots is not spooking game. Tree stands work well. I have a few of them.

My favorite load right now is a 135gr. nosler at 1700 f/s average measured at 15' with the chrono generating around 866 fpe . This load, even using 2-3x reloaded brass produces single digit standard deviations on 10 shots and precision in the neighborhood of 2.5-3" groups at 25y (I'm sure it could be tighter from the bench). The load doesn't have much momentum or penetration due to the construction and light mass of the bullet, but the wound cavity will be huge based on testing. No deer will be able to survive getting hit with that and shot placement is not a problem.

I've loaded this little bullet over 1,000 fpe, (over 1800 f/s) but the primers started popping out, so I had to ease up on the powder a little. :-)

(I also load 200gr. xtps @ 1240 fps, which will penetrate like hell, but does not near the energy of the other + recoil is pretty stout as you can imagine).

I wish someone made a little tougher 135gr. bullet for the 10/.40 because these cases can push a bullet to velocities exceeding the bullets design range - particularly 10mm, but even .40 smith is capable of energies beyond what most people can imagine they are. The factory loads are not very adequate for hunting.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Woodsman wrote:
Hitoru wrote:I own and like my .40 Sig Pro, but I prefer STI 1911s.

None yet -

You saw my "range" here - we're solid woods up here. Shots </=25y are quite common here

The only reason I didn't get more smarty-pants on you ;)
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Wakaw101 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:37 am

I think the Sig Nitron would be a great 1911. Sig is a big name and the 1911 is a staple of many modern pistol lines. I personally bought a Citadel 1911 and I really dig the Novak sights... I don't know if the Sig takes Wilson Mags but I like the Wilson magazines better than the ones that came with my gun... I'd like to hear more about it if you bought it.
Wakaw101

Postby Reflexred » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:28 pm

thanks for all the feedback, think im gonna just wait for one of the SA Champion Operators to come on the market at a decent price, im not feeling real great about having to use Sig proprietary parts, i like to have options should something need to be repaired. From what I have heard the Sigs are supposed to take the Wilson Mags though.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred

Postby Reflexred » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:08 pm

well...ended up with a SA XD45 compact..couldnt pass up a deal, NIB $400..ill have to come back to the 1911 platform down the road.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!