good .22 rifle?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

good .22 rifle?

Postby zuluninja » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Hello fellas. First time posting here, been lurking for a while, very interesting site you got here!

I have a couple of guns, and collect knives. I love to go out to the range now and then and blast off all the bullshit that accumulates on the course of the daily grinds. Lately, with a stressed economy and ammo prices going up, I have not been hitting the range as frecuently as I used to. Now, to the point of my ramble - I have been considering getting a .22 rifle for some time now and never got down to go ahead and buy one. Some of my guns, I did research them before buying, some were impulse buys (when cash flow was better). From what I understand, .22s are quite accurate, and the ammo is readily available and cheap.

This place seems to have plenty of gun savvy regulars. What would be a good .22 rifle for plinking? If it is below 300$ it would be great, but I don't want a piece of shit that won't last. What is your advice?
zuluninja

Re: good .22 rifle?

Postby Rhah » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Welcome to the Flag.

Ruger 10/22 is a fine little .22LR semiauto that is fairly cheap.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby zuluninja » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks, I will look it up. Any more? I like to compare and then decide.
zuluninja

Postby Iyyob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Yeah I'd look into remmington there 22 is as accurate as the ruger with a match barrel for about the same price as a stock ruger
Iyyob

Postby zuluninja » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:46 pm

was just checking the remington 597 and the savage 64. Thoughts?
zuluninja

Postby diamondcutter13 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:18 pm

really cannot go wrong with a ruger 10/22 but I find my marlin papoose takedown is the fun little plinking gun that always gets chucked into the jeep or pack regardless of whatever else comes along too.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Forget the Remington 597. At my old shop we were constantly doing warranty repairs for 597s. Broken/damaged bolt stops, failures to feed/fire, damaged recoil springs, a couple cracked bolts. The biggest one however was the constant loss of extractors, big pain in the ass. I don't really have any experience with the Savage.

diamondcutter13 wrote:really cannot go wrong with a ruger 10/22 but I find my marlin papoose takedown is the fun little plinking gun that always gets
chucked into the jeep or pack regardless of whatever else comes along too.

The papoose is a very good rifle. Good one diamondcutter. Mags can be a bit hard to find however, at least in my neck of the woods.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby juan de fuca » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:35 am

ruger 1022, we had the same one for twenty years with zero problems. Several flavors and countless accessories.
juan de fuca

Postby zuluninja » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:48 am

so, by general consensus, the 10/22 is ahead of the pack. Anybody handled the savage? I've read they are pretty good and accurate rifles, but have no idea about the .22
zuluninja

Postby Woodsman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:24 pm

diamondcutter13 wrote:really cannot go wrong with a ruger 10/22 but I find my marlin papoose takedown is the fun little plinking gun that always gets chucked into the jeep or pack regardless of whatever else comes along too.

Those little breakdown guns are capable of remarkable precision and reliability is very good.

If you want the highest in precision, find yourself an Anschutz.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:20 am

Not a single .22 rifle in the world is better than the Ruger 10/22

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby BillyOblivion » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:19 am

CZ makes/used to make the 452. It is a bolt action .22 in many different configurations. It looks like they're moving to the 455 (a new platform).

They can often be had in the 300 range. They are fine, fine rifles--they aren't so expensive that you want to treat them like heirlooms, but they are going to be more accurate than all but a handful of shooters.

The 10/22 is a fine plinking gun/man-barbie, don't get me wrong, but if I were me I'd get the CZ. Which I did, except it was for my wife. Who we then found out was left-eye dominate. So I'll have to get her a left handed one sometime and give hers to the girl-child.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:37 pm

With the 10/22, the amount of aftermarket stuff available is nearly limitless. Go for it.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby diamondcutter13 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Rhah wrote:Mags can be a bit hard to find however, at least in my neck of the woods.

Try here:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=1000 ... nes/MARLIN

Brownells is very reliable.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby zuluninja » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:47 pm

almost decided for the Ruger...will post after I get some extra cash and rifle in hand.
zuluninja

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!