HEST Folder 2.0

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

HEST Folder 2.0

Postby cblue218 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:58 am

Anyone have any info out there as to how much longer it will be until the new folder is released?
I'm chewing nails over here.
cblue218

Re: HEST Folder 2.0

Postby dustyzz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:03 pm

For what it's worth, I sent my well used (and loved) Hest/F 1.0 regular production folder to DPX Gear customer service for a really bad lock issue and I received today a brand spanking new 2.0 folder as a replacement... If customer service has the 2.0 folders in stock, I would expect the 2.0 folders to be hitting the retailers really soon. BTW, Linda in DPX Gear customer service totally ROCKS... not sure what RYP pays her, but she is worth every penny (and more).

/dusty
dustyzz

Postby cblue218 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks Dusty! Shouldn't be too much longer then. My local knife guy is getting some and my name is on the list.
Enjoy and take care of that new 2.0!
cblue218

Postby Dr. V » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Moved to guns and weapons so that a) all the HEST stuff is in more or less the same place b) its moderated by someone who knows what you guys are talking about :)
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby RYP » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:21 am

HEST 2.0's are getting packed up and leaving in a bit.

Customers are more important than products.

great customers create great products
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Gab124 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:15 pm

RYP wrote:HEST 2.0's are getting packed up and leaving in a bit.

Customers are more important than products.

great customers create great products

Hey all, new here to the forum. RYP, when you say they are getting packed up is that in Italy or at your main office in the US? I had heard that they would hit retailers in mid September, but your post leads me to potentially believe that could be earlier. Thanks for any information, and your fine knife design as well.
I just read about the new fixed blade hest addition with the hard wood handles, can't wait to get ahold of one of those as well. Not familiar with that species of wood though.
Thanks,
gab
Gab124

Postby RYP » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:21 pm

they are here at an undisclosed location, guarded by fembots and strung out mexican mafia hitmen.

Go to the Facebook DPx Gear site for pics cuz I can't figure out how to post em here!
RYP

Postby Gab124 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:41 am

Um, thanks. I have seen many pics and reviews on youtube, looks like a spectacular blade. I was mainly curious in a time frame for hitting retail outlets. I will head over to the facebook page and see what I might be missing. Any pics of the fembots there?
gab
Gab124

Postby RYP » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:44 am

we ship them in a week or so, then the distributors ship them to the dealers and in the middle of this are a thousand people calling everyday insisting that someone else got there HEST before someone else did.
RYP

Postby Gab124 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Hey great. You outlined a very standard business procedure and now I know what stage things are at, I am satisfied. And, for the record, I don't care if Jimmy or Barb or anyone else gets a hest before me, I've many knives to play with until then. I also work in a job where I get asked the same questions many times a day, and it does get old. Thanks for the info.
Another question, that is understandably off topic from the folder but; the new steel you use on the HEST II, will it throw sparks from a firesteel? I am unfamiliar with it in.

gab

RYP wrote:we ship them in a week or so, then the distributors ship them to the dealers and in the middle of this are a thousand people calling everyday insisting that someone else got there HEST before someone else did.
Gab124

Postby Gab124 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:14 pm

Ok then, it has been since Aug 25th I was looking for the status of the Hest 2.0 folders. You are either shipping with horse and buggy or you were not entirely truthful about the status of these. Or, your dealers are not letting on to supply and availability - though they always say they don't know either. All I know is that I prepaid for a knife over two months ago that was supposed to be available and shipping in mid August. Hmmm. What to think. I am certainly okay with waiting if I know for how long. Never seen this type of PR before with any product.
Good luck to your company.
gab124
Gab124

Postby The Tourist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:35 am

I will receive mine tomorrow, 10-03-11. Blue Ridge Knives just got their allotment, and in the four or five days they were available, they disappeared. Had I known, I would have ordered more than just one personal EDC.
The Tourist
You are the weakest link – Goodbye

Postby jacktrades_nbk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:43 am

Gab124 wrote:the new steel you use on the HEST II, will it throw sparks from a firesteel? I am unfamiliar with it in.

gab

its not necessarily the steel, but the sharp corner that counts here. So if the back of your knife is at 90 degrees sharp, no rounding or thick coating, you shall get a high amount of sparks.
DPx Gun Club\Tribe member
jacktrades_nbk

Postby The Tourist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Snail mail just dropped off my 2.0 and I have not begun to polish it.

First impression. They cranked the pivot down so hard it's difficult to open it with two hands. I assume this is the way they are shipped so they do not rattle. I had a few others like this, just an adjustment issue.

The bevel isn't too bad. A bit of a heavy hand on the belly, and the first third of the left bevel from tip on back is crooked. It's pretty sharp in the back 2/3s, but rips newsprint instead of slicing it on this forward portion.

Again, minor. I have some new 2K and 10K chosera stones I want to try, and this will be a good project to help 'scrub them in.'

Overall the fit, the trueness and uniformity of the angles, and the way the blade drops straight into the handle are much better than the two original versions I had. I'll tape up the blade and begin the polishing later tonight.

The Tourist

Postby The Tourist » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:01 am

It took a bit, but the edge has been made more uniform, sharpened and polished. A bit more work to do near the ricasso on the next sharpening, but the edge is now very sharp and ready to be an EDC. I hope this picture works out better.

The Tourist

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!