Latest Review of the DPx HEST/F 2.0

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Latest Review of the DPx HEST/F 2.0

Postby RYP » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:23 am

HEST 2.0 Folding Knife Review & Videos (PIC HEAVY) H.E.S.T - TrueKnifeReviews

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... (PIC-HEAVY)-H.E.S.T-TrueKnifeReviews

In order to create a perfectly good quality multipurpose utility tool, it will take years of effort, dedication, and contribution. A perfect tool can only be created if it has input from the owners of the company, all the way to the consumers of the tool being purchased. A perfect example of those contributions would be a Spyderco Endura being a folding knife with a history of 21 years in the making. DPx Gear has been working including taking the input and opinions of its costumers, implementing them to create what I consider to be one of the best folding knife designs to date.

The DPx HEST V2.0 locks up like a tank and has excellent engineering designed into the lock up.

The G10 handles feel to have a tiny bit more grip and the steel liner has been removed with the G10 now becoming thicker in comparison to version its previous version. Since I can notice the weight differences on folding knives, the knife immediately felt lighter from the moment I took it out of its newly designed box. The box feels to be of much nicer quality than the previous version as it is wrapped around with Mr. DP Logos.

The improved detail did not stop at the box, when inspecting the Hest 2.0, I noticed the edges are now refined in all the correct spots. When I opened the knife, it felt solid and difficult to open. This brought a smile to my face as I am an enthusiast of Strider Knives and appreciate knives with a break in process. Something similar to when I buy a new pair of shoes.

I noticed on the Hest 1.0 that the bolt which stops the blade in the opened position was not perfectly centered and would protrude on the G-10 side of the handle. On the DPx Hest V2.0, the blade stop bolt is now perfectly centered on both sides. Not only was the blade stop bolt centered but the blade also came perfectly centered out of the box as well.
V2.0

V1.0

Version 2.0 perfectly centered

The spacer in between the handles is now also of longer length giving the knife more durability.

The RotoBlock which stops the frame lock from over extending has had some slight modifications for a more solid fixed blade lock.

V2.0

V1.0
V2.0

V1.0

The lanyard holes drilled into the pocket clip have been removed on the HEST 2.0 to give the clip a more solid grip onto pants. I believe that the bend on the clip has been repositioned up front to give the clip a lower probability of getting caught onto objects by having a much shorter tip.

Pocket clip bend repositioning

The Pivot Bolt seems to have a minor improvement as the bolt protrudes less on the titanium side of the handle.
V1.0

V2.0

My HEST 1.0 had a portion of its edge closest to the quillon of the blade pop out in the shape of a shark fin. Version 1.0 was probably more difficult to sharpen because of the angle of the quillon on the blade. The quillon on the blade looks to be re-done and cut down to make the knife easier to sharpen.

The handle is now more comfortable and wider making the knife feel easier. The bolts connecting the handle appear to sink in just a tad bit more.
v2.0

V1.0

The new design on the frame lock makes the knife easier to access when unlocking with your thumb.

The most positive and extreme improvements I noticed on the 2.0 Hest was on the locking mechanism of the knife. I have noticed from collecting folding knives that different models of knives use different methods and angles for their frame locks. The 2.0 Hest went out of its way by using a new style of frame lock I haven't seen before. It resembles the angles I see on frame locks on SMF and SNG Striders but with its own style or method.
Below is a quick sketch to compare the different contact methods I have seen on frame locks:

Strider SNG Frame Lock

V1.0 Frame Lock

V2.0 Frame Lock

As you can see by the photos, there are major improvement to the contact points of the frame lock and blade on the HEST 2.0. I have experienced no slipping on the frame lock and the knife locks up like a tank. The ball detent ramp where the blade makes contact to the frame lock has been removed as well.
With a twist of the RotoBlock, you can still convert the knife into a fixed blade.
Another major benefit to the knife was it still felt extremely solid having no front to back or side to side blade play after testing the knife.

I enjoy the new style of the G10 handle which has an additional lump on the choil resembling the front ergonomics of a Chris Reeve Sebenza. The knife feels more comfortable on my palm and now feels much easier when accessing the frame lock.

The washer in-between the blade and the handles are thinner making the knife feel more concealable.

I highly recommend the V2.0 DPx H.E.S.T to anyone looking to get a great heavy duty folder at an amazing price. The knife is made in Italy with top quality materials and craftsmanship. The manufacturer Lion Steel has an amazing reputation in the knife industry so you can definitely trust the materials. The customer service from DPx Gear is exceptional and they truly wount be happy until you are. The blade length on the DPx HEST folder 2.0 seems to also be a little bit longer than the version 1.0 which I will post pictures of shortly. It could also be that the handle was shortened but its just about a millimeter or two of difference. Oh and the glass/skull breaker seem to be a tad bit longer too. I hope I didnt forget anything : )

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Stay tuned for the Testing Video in which I chop for 20 minutes and spine wack the knife including throwing it at a tree.
Last edited by composite; 08-19-2011 at 12:27 PM.
08-19-2011 12:29 PM #2 microtech d/e
very nice review and very informative seems like you have it down to a science!
08-19-2011 01:47 PM #3 composite

Thank you and here is the 2.0 HEST TEST:

I still need to complete a tire cut test and a would like to also cut a thin shit of steel.
08-19-2011 05:17 PM #4 Alanp
Originally Posted by composite
Thank you and here is the 2.0 HEST TEST:

I still need to complete a tire cut test and a would like to also cut a thin shit of steel.

When you do, try not to get any on your hands lol. Good review. Let me know how long it takes yours to loosen up, Mine is finally getting good and loose, i'm somewhere around 2500 open and closes.
08-19-2011 06:28 PM #5 composite
hahaha sorry i didnt notice that I wrote Sh$*. Mine is almost done getting broken in. The testing got it about half way through break in but i can tell it still needs more opening.
08-19-2011 07:06 PM #6 Mr. Clean
Very cool. It's almost like Lionsteel said "ok, now let us take over please"
08-19-2011 07:16 PM #7 Horn Dog
Gold Member
Great review. Lots of good pictures. I'm glad to see the HEST developing and improving. It's a fine design and a rugged folder. I carry my first release frequently.
Horned, dangerous, and off my medication.
ESEE Cult Member #288.
Busse Cult : Horn Hog
SYKCO Cult: Horn Dog
08-19-2011 09:45 PM #8 Alanp
Composite, if you ever have to take yours apart let me know. After mine wasn't loosening up, I decided to take it apart because after like 1500 open and closes it was still stupid tight. I thought there might be a burr. When i pulled all the screws, I realized the problem was how tight the G10 was pushed onto the stand offs and pivot. I had to pry it off. When I put it back together, I squeezed it fairly tight with my hands around the pivot, then used the pivot screw to tighten it down enough to have zero blade play and it opened 100% smoother than before. I would have just backed the pivot screw off but the g10 was so tight on the pivot that it wouldn't back off.
Yesterday 01:05 PM #9 marucusu
Gold Member
Great review Composite, very thorough comparison!! Now the trick is getting one....if anyone has a 2.0 they are trying to get rid of please let me know, can be a user. Would love to get one in my hands...thanks!!
Today 10:53 AM #10 Esav Benyamin
MidniteSuperMod
Blog Entries
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!