Boots, pack for East Africa

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Boots, pack for East Africa

Postby ElPeregrino » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:35 am

All,

Currently have a plan in the pipeline to spend a few months in East Africa during the summer months/maybe a bit earlier next year. Not sure of precise locations yet, likely based in Nairobi but bouncing around to Juba, maybe Mogadishu/Puntland/Somaliland. All very up in the air and could fall through at any minute, but want to be ready with new gear broken in when I get the word.

On recent trips I've made due with a pair of Frye boots, and they're good but a bit heavy and not much ankle support - not to mention damn hot in the summer. Anyone have recommendations for a pair of good hikers that would perform well in the terrain/heat? From what I can tell I'm looking for something that is:

1. Not a desert suede combat boot surplused from what your local natty guard officer is wearing with his acus
2. Lightweight without sacrificing too much protection from the bush

Don't see myself doing much hiking, especially under any weight, as I'll be mostly operating from cars, but still want something I can comfortably cover ground in if need be, and quickly.

Also would appreciate any pack suggestions you might have for the situation described - I've dicked around online enough to know I like the Kifaru xray a lot (and despite the screaming tactical look and too-much-molle this one from Tactical Tailor is cool too - http://www.tacticaltailor.com/packs_bag ... rator-pack) but not sure I need anything beyond an old schoolbook pack. Used to use an oakley civilian bag but its got a good tear now and I don't trust it any longer.

Any advice would be appreciated - not much rush as said above but don't want to be rubbing blisters from brand new boots if I have to take off earlier than planned either.

rgds
P
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Re: Boots, pack for East Africa

Postby Peregrinator » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:25 am

Hey, Peregrino, have you looked at civilian outdoors-people hiker type packs at all? Something like Kelty's Redwing might serve and not look so tactical:

http://www.kelty.com/search.aspx?Search ... 4Aodi03bXA

It's been popular for decades as a sort of crossover day and a half pack/luggage. Browse through a site like Eastern Mountain Sports or REI to see what's out there. I do a lot of outdoor-adventure stuff and never felt like durability was an issue, if that's why you're leaning tactical.

Peregrinator.

Cool name, btw.
Peregrinator

Postby coldharvest » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:40 am

I used a pack from Zellers (still use it) and some hiking shoes from Wal-mart.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Douchebag » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Ho Chi Minh recommended these to me. You can't beat a pair of One Thousand Milers, especially when you are up and down the highway.

DickPaw, I am convinced that you'd be the omega male of Mantown, you golden shower taking, meat-gazing dandified bitch-boy.
Douchebag
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm told these are good. I can't bring myself to spend more than £25 though so it's HiTec all the way for me.

http://www.courteneyboot.com/boots.php

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 pm

nowonmai wrote:I'm told these are good. I can't bring myself to spend more than £25 though so it's HiTec all the way for me.

A man after my own heart.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby ElPeregrino » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:28 am

Peregrinator wrote:Hey, Peregrino, have you looked at civilian outdoors-people hiker type packs at all? Something like Kelty's Redwing might serve and not look so tactical:

http://www.kelty.com/search.aspx?Search ... 4Aodi03bXA

It's been popular for decades as a sort of crossover day and a half pack/luggage. Browse through a site like Eastern Mountain Sports or REI to see what's out there. I do a lot of outdoor-adventure stuff and never felt like durability was an issue, if that's why you're leaning tactical.

Peregrinator.

Cool name, btw.

Yeah man, likewise.

Thanks for the Kelty rec, never been a big fan of the way they fit, body type thing I guess. Either way that's roughly double the size of what I'm looking for so not quite applicable, but thanks as I said. And even if I do need a larger ruck, I have a Dana Designs - guess they're defunct now sadly - that has been going strong for years.

Looking more for something to hold significantly less kit - notebook, small laptop, camera maybe, paperback, jacket, light, water, maybe a 9 mil and a few mags but that's highly highly unlikely given the firm I'll be with. As I'll be with a security firm I'm not too concerned about tactisexuality.

Courtney boots seem to have good marketing but a bit expensive I think. Either way thanks for the rec. Need to get out to a decent hiking/camping store and try a few pair on.

Douchebag - thongs not quite my thing, but thanks mate.

Rdgs,
P
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Postby Dabbi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:49 am

go out to a shoe store and buy something comfortable and don't be such a nerd about it
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:21 am

I go to Africa often. I wear Cons.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby coldharvest » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:34 am

rickshaw92 wrote:I go to Africa often. I wear Cons.

's right Mr. Shaw
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby The Turd Polisher » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:.... I have a Dana Designs - guess they're defunct now sadly - that has been going strong for years....

Dana Designs was merged into Marmot...but Dana Gleason started a new company called Mystery Ranch Backpacks still in Bozeman
info here: http://www.mysteryranch.com/site/index.html
"Beyond our ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."
Rumi, 13th-century Persian poet
The Turd Polisher
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:33 pm

The Turd Polisher wrote:Dana Gleason started a new company called Mystery Ranch Backpacks still in Bozeman
info here: http://www.mysteryranch.com/site/index.html

Cheers for that.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby kanderson8 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:22 pm

coldharvest wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:I go to Africa often. I wear Cons.

's right Mr. Shaw

I wear cons canvas high tops and they are brilliant. Worn mine through the deserts of Oman to the jungles Nigeria. You can't go wrong with them.
Simplicity is the ultimate in sophistication - da Vinci
kanderson8

Postby JITW » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:15 pm

If you must use a Military style backpack with PALS webbing all over it then Blackhawk makes good packs that are cheap and always in stock compared to other tactical gear manufacturers

Otherwise go with a jansport like I do if you don't want to look like someone that hit a PX before he jumped on a plane

Boots? Go with tennis kicks or whatever you usually wear

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby JHanson » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Wait until you hit Kenya, then buy a pair of Bata desert boots. The stores are everywhere. Similar to the old Clark's boots but about $20. They're all you need for most bush use there, and you'll immediately look like a local. No ankle support, but cool and reasonably thornproof (I've never had much problem with thorns in my shoes in East Africa anyway).

The Courtney boots are nice - I reviewed them some time ago - but the same shoes cost about $40 in Zimbabwe. Westley Richards is pocketing a bit of a markup there.
JHanson

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!