Any Amateur Radio BFCers Out There?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Any Amateur Radio BFCers Out There?

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:19 pm

Big Duke 6 wrote:I tried getting into this a while back. I have the same radio that Walrus posted earlier. In Wyoming, there was fuck all. Makes sense being the least populated state, but now that I'm in a more populated state I still hear close to nothing outside the permanent weather beacons that are out there. I think I probably need a better system to get the stuff skipping off the stratosphere, but I've also found out this can be quite an expensive hobby. Too expensive currently for my tastes when it's just something I'm dabbling in.

Have you checked RepeaterBook to see if there are any repeaters near you?
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby db36046 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:51 am

Been licensed for 38 years, most of that time as Extra Class, the top level in US, which IEEE recognizes as equivalent to a degree in Electronics Engineering. My Dad was a Ham before the FCC existed and invented licenses, so I grew up with it.

Ham radio is a great way to meet people around the world and can often safe your life or someone else’s. You have to get licensed in each country to which you travel in order to transmit there, but once you’re licensed anywhere go to the local Ham club and you’re automatically a friend. I held a license in Mexico for years and it was a great door opener to meet some of the best people around.

The $50 Chinese radios will work for basic comms but don’t risk your life on them. Get a good one; it will cost ten times as much but I’ve failed to communicate with one of the cheap ones, then made the contact easily with a good one standing in the same spot a minute later.

It’s a good investment both financially and regarding the time you spend learning about the technology, building your own antennas, equipment etc. there are also ways to connect a VHF/UHF radio to an internet gateway for handheld worldwide communications and it doesn’t cost an atm and a leg to talk, the way a sat phone does.
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:43 am

Btw. In my operational technology cyber sec position I want to hire a HAM.

Trying to convince our CISO it is not only a good idea but the only idea for radio heavy railways.

So I got nuthin now but if you know any experienced HAMs I am hoping to have something soon.

Also I still gotta learn this shit. I wanted to build my own lime the old Heathkit days so if you know of anything similar please let us know.

Also SDR that run on low end Linux would be cool.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Chimborazo » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:59 pm

Kurt wrote:Btw. In my operational technology cyber sec position I want to hire a HAM.

Trying to convince our CISO it is not only a good idea but the only idea for radio heavy railways.

So I got nuthin now but if you know any experienced HAMs I am hoping to have something soon.

Also I still gotta learn this shit. I wanted to build my own lime the old Heathkit days so if you know of anything similar please let us know.

Also SDR that run on low end Linux would be cool.

What are you looking for out of a HAM? Monitoring? Disaster recovery/business continuity? VHF/UHF or HF? I would think any of the local HAM clubs would be a good place to start.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:23 pm

Monitoring and being able to track the location of jamming devices. We also want to kit out a field operations van (we have 1600 miles of track, 2 tunnels and 4 bridges and two parkways)

Right now our biggest concern is accidental or intentional jamming of certain signals that could interfere with operations.

I cannot give specifics here
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:44 pm

Kurt wrote:Monitoring and being able to track the location of jamming devices. We also want to kit out a field operations van (we have 1600 miles of track, 2 tunnels and 4 bridges and two parkways)

Right now our biggest concern is accidental or intentional jamming of certain signals that could interfere with operations.

I cannot give specifics here

You should have a look at Kraken SDR. Pretty cool.
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:05 am

ROB
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!