Shotguns - like, guns that fire shots

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Shotguns - like, guns that fire shots

Postby Super Max » Thu May 17, 2012 7:14 am

Ok, here is the deal. I'm just thinking out loud here but I have come to question the viability of the "tactical" shotgun. Before you go calling me insane, hear me out.

Parked in my closet is a fully loaded and ready to roll chest rig. This rig would customarily hold NINE 30rd AR15 mags, instead it is loaded with about 75 shotgun shells (25 each of 00 Buck, Slugs and Steel BB). The shocking delivery of a single round of any of the previously mentioned shells goes without question. However if you apply the SHTF perspective, the question is could those funds (the cost of the guns itself primarily) be better applied? For instance, would you want to lug around a built up Mos 550 for the sake of delivering those 75 rounds (or what ever other reserves you might be holding) at the cost of weight and space as opposed to the AR15 that you already own and more 5.56?

Let's say that the shotgun itself is a 700 dollar package. That is quite a few rounds of 5.56 alone.

Any thoughts welcome. Say what you feel.
"I myself am a savage, owning no allegiance but to the King of the Cannibals; and ready at any moment to rebel against him."
Super Max

Re: Shotguns - like, guns that fire shots

Postby Subodai » Thu May 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Everyone has their own opinion on weapons and the inevitable answer is “it depends”. Cost is certainly a concern but reliability and effectiveness if you expect to use the weapon in critical situations always trumps saving a few dollars IMO. I recently read a study which covered the effectiveness of varying calibers (.38, 9mm, .40 S&W, and Double 00 buck) in actual engagements by Law Enforcement. I was surprised at the low effectiveness of shotguns. Sorry but I can’t find the study for reference.

Regardless, 5.56 is not really an apples to apples interchangeable substitute for anything coming out of a shotgun. If you don’t need a short range, very close quarters weapon then just spend your money on more 5.56. If you think you need something between a pistol and a rifle then as an alternative to a shotgun I like the Heckler & Koch MP5. With 120 variants available, including the single shot only MP5SFA2, there is something available for most people. The 15 or 30 round magazines together with the optional 3 round burst provide a better alternative with increased accuracy over a shotgun IMO. Using a round like the Hornady 9mm Luger 115 gr FTX Critical Defense or equivalent makes for a very effective weapon but it is going to cost some coin.

The MP5/10 and MP5/40 use 10mm and 40 S&W rounds respectively. Let the arguments begin.
Subodai

Postby Hitoru » Thu May 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Like everybody can buy an mp5.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Thu May 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Nice thread title, btw.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Subodai » Thu May 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Hitoru wrote:Like everybody can buy an mp5.

My bad. I didn’t realize that the US import ban keeps them out of the states for civilian purchase. Perhaps if HK ever decides to produce them in the states they won't have to worry about the import ban.
Subodai

Postby Hitoru » Thu May 17, 2012 4:16 pm

How many H&K firearms do you own ?
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Q » Fri May 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I chuckled at "engagements by law enforcement". You'd get better results arming a boy scout troop. Thus, I'd consider any such study flawed, to say the least. At least for the purpose of this thread.

It boils down to: shotguns are tits. Forget their history of use, which speaks volumes in itself. The fact that you can give just about anyone a shotgun, and with minimal amount of training/time have them able to properly defend themselves /close with any target, should settle any debate. And that isn't even taking the psychological impact they have into account.

As for HK...Again, tits.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Woodsman » Fri May 18, 2012 8:35 pm

Bravo.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Fri May 18, 2012 10:30 pm

Saiga -12 is the only shotty I need for my close up fun.

I've found you have to clean mp5's too often for my liking to keep em running consistently .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Q » Fri May 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Hitoru wrote:Saiga -12 is the only shotty I need for my close up fun.

I've found you have to clean mp5's too often for my liking to keep em running consistently .

Ehhh, I can see your point, as German's would over-engineer a panty raid. But on same token, they were extremely popular with the Teams, and I would gander that if maintence was that much of an issue, this wouldn't have been the case.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Hitoru » Fri May 18, 2012 11:13 pm

We're just lazy. You know, to the point of neglect, so I guess I prefer firearms you can neglect . Russian firearms.
You can neglect S-12's.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Devlin » Sat May 19, 2012 12:21 am

I was going to put this on my coachgun post but what the hell.

Shotguns kill watermelons !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PaU75RTs0o
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Sat May 19, 2012 12:27 am

Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Devlin » Sat May 19, 2012 1:33 am

Ouch !

He will never live that down, all I had to do was clean the melon off my shoes.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Super Max » Sat May 19, 2012 4:55 am

Hello, and welcome to the "what ever the fuck you want to talk about cafe"... I drop a post about if it would be advantageous to continue owning a shot gun with a small load of ammo vs selling the bitch to purchase more 5.56 and within a dozen posts it digresses into shotguns vs water melons. There are so few fresh posts around this place that there are guys answering questions posted 2 years ago. Fuckall
"I myself am a savage, owning no allegiance but to the King of the Cannibals; and ready at any moment to rebel against him."
Super Max

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!