HEST 2.0 Issue

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

HEST 2.0 Issue

Postby manonamission » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Hey all ,

I' recently purchased my first Dpx HEST 2.0 folder and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem I am having . First I have to say it is a BEAST ! the overall design ,thickness of the blade and the use of LionSteel's Titanium frame with the Rotolock are why I purchased this blade . ( I have a BBR1 with the Rotolock and love it )
My issue is if I open the blade with any force the lock becomes impossible to disengage without using something to pry it loose . It seems that a quick open with my thumb allows the framelock to wedge itself against the ramp of the blades lock face as strong as if I engaged the Rotolock. I have examined the rotolock since I am very familiar with it already and it doesn't seem to be the issue . It looks like the curve of the ramp is more pronounced (if thats that correct term) then it should be . .
I was also getting ready to purchase the T3 and am know hesitant to do so as for the price of either I shouldn't have to do any custom file work unless I had already the intention to do so before i sell my soul to buy the Best :) . Anyone else hear of this issue ? or the same issue with the T3 ?
manonamission
mach

Re: HEST 2.0 Issue

Postby pilpte » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 pm

yep, mine will get stuck if i were to flick it open aggressively. but i thumb it open deliberately (which is a normal opening) it does not. mine is still relatively new but i do have some break-in time on the lock bar. i think first you need some break-in time on the folder; everything will get easier in time. in time, i think the "stuck" condition will alleviate itself; has to because it will smooth out with wear.

but having said all that, what is the big deal with flicking it open hard? for effect? for fun because it's cool? if that's what it is then maybe the HEST isn't gonna be the fun knife you expected...and it's a good bet the T3 will be the same way since they're made by the same people...

i open it...and then i use it...and then i close it...and if it were to get stuck, i "un-stuck" it by any means necessary...i know that condition won't last long the more i use it...
pilpte

Postby manonamission » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks for the fast reply ...I have had multiple Lionsteel items and although stiff , no where near the lock-up of this one . I do side work as a openhand/armed/edged weapons trainer and just have gotten in the habit of fast powerful thumb openings on all knifes since if the only one you have handy is a throw away you have to be sure the lock is positive.....maybe time to dial it down a bit unless I have to pull it for "other" reasons . And then I think I would prefer it to lock anyway . lol

I still did notice on my model , comparing it to the other lionsteel frame lock i have the ramp is still a little agressive on the curve . more of a hard curve then a gentle slope ...I have another one on the way for a buddy and will compare then probably do a little file work . I also saw where a few people have backed off the pivot and slightly pryed up the g10 then backed it back down with the pivot to a sweet spot ( also see it here on this forum) and it works great . I will upload pics when i get time if it doesn't fix it as it has over 600 open cycles on it .

Thanks again
manonamission
mach

Postby manonamission » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Well if anyone is interested the issue has been resolved . the technique of removing all screws ,including pivot, then lightly prying up about 1/8 of an inch on the G10 scale seems to work . I will note that you do have to back out all screws to keep the G10 from returning to its resting position on the pin . once thats done reapply locktite and put screws back tighten pivot to just the point it gives positive resistance . absolutely no play in it at all ,smooth opening and framelock even seems a little less stiff . the freeze up can still occur but that should lessen with use now .
manonamission
mach

Postby Raven » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Don't hesitate on the T3. There are only a few hundred made(500 I believe) and it is well worth the extra money. The lockup on the HEST f 2.0 is extremely solid. I don't consider it an issue though. I'm glad everything worked out for you.
Raven
mach

Postby RYP » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:01 am

Each HEST folder is hand fitted and takes a few days of use to seat.

If for any reason you want to have us a look at it we will at no charge. Every knife we make is warranted for life.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby manonamission » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 am

Thank You for taking the time to reply Sir ,

all is well I could not be happier with the outcome . I gave this one to my guy for "service" use .He was looking for a stout folder with a fixed blade feel that could be used for serious threat situations at 30000' and everywhere in between , and he is equally impressed

I have now only to work on picking up the T3 ....can't wait .
manonamission
mach

Postby Rsmlem1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 am

I want to put my green handle on my new orange hest 2 folder. Is that nuts? Will I wreck it doing it myself? Can I just back the screws and pivot and swap.
Rsmlem1
mach

Postby RYP » Tue May 21, 2013 1:32 am

The G10 is actually part of the frame.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!