Lightweight CCW

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Lightweight CCW

Postby db36046 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:23 am

Okay, so I finally went & got the Glock 43. I like it because my duty piece is a G17 and the controls are familiar. It’s relatively small, I can’t get my little finger on the butt unless I’m using one of the extended-grip magazines. But it’s surprisingly accurate in spite of that, even without the little finger. The flat-base magazine is easier to slip into a hip pocket. I will have to do a qualification run with it for use as a backup, but I don’t think that will be a problem. I’ve been carrying it steadily for about two years now.

The one thing I don’t particularly like about Glocks is that there is no de-cocking lever. The only way to de-cock it is to pull the trigger, which means drop magazine, clear breach, inspect visually, stick finger in chamber to be sure, point in safe direction, pull trigger, hope it doesn’t go “bang.” Gives me the willies every time I have to do it.

That said, I like the feel of the Glocks (both the 17 & the 43), and I like the lack of an external safety. I don’t have to try to remember whether the safety is on or off. I’ll probably keep them.
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Postby cowboycraig » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:07 am

Golock 43 is the goto for me also. If I had to change mags in a hurry would be getting stitches in the palm for sure.

The Ruger LCP on 357 works also - and sometimes that is another goto.

The Sig's with decockers may be something I move to. That long first trigger pull is much to love, for many reasons.

On a slightly different note, a Double Stack Glock like the 17 or 19 and a Ruger PC9 can use the same mags. The Ruger also breaks in two like the Ruger 10/22 and fits in a pack very well.
cowboycraig
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:08 pm

cowboycraig wrote:The Sig's with decockers may be something I move to. That long first trigger pull is much to love, for many reasons.

Interesting...that's what keeps me from carrying one. I'd like to practice more with a SA/DA when I get back to the States.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!