Sig 226 vs H&K USP

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Sig 226 vs H&K USP

Postby The Settle » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:12 pm

i am looking into a new handgun. does any one have any input on a good gun.
Don't Tread on Me
The Settle
BFCus Regularus

Postby Steve » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:20 pm

Maybe put this down in the weapons forum.

Why do you want to spend so much for the USP? Are you in the special forces?

Steve
Steve
BFCus Regularus

Postby theJesusHorse » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:46 pm

Hey, if he was in special ops he wouldnt have asked the question. :)
Seriously, both the SIG and the USP are good guns. Standard issue stuff, but reliable.
High End($800-$2000): If you want to use what the pro's use, take a look at some of the models from Wilson Combat(http://www.wilsoncombat.com/) or Kimber. These are the real deal, and are priced accordingly. Also, check out the Springfield "Operator" model. Very nice for a production gun.
Medium cost($400-$800): SIGs, Glocks and HKs are all reliable and accurate. Lots of aftermarket accessories are available.
Remember, a gun is only as good as the person shooting it. If you dont spend time at the range, that $1500 custom gun isnt going to do you a bit of good.
theJesusHorse
BFCus Regularus

Postby Romeo247 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:06 am

HK
Romeo247
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:27 am

Glocks tend to be the gun de jour..the finger safety goes over big for some folks. Sigs and HK's are very nice and expensive guns... Beretta's are old school and the cool shit is the 1911 these days.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby theJesusHorse » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:13 am

RYP wrote:Glocks tend to be the gun de jour..the finger safety goes over big for some folks. Sigs and HK's are very nice and expensive guns... Beretta's are old school and the cool shit is the 1911 these days.

Yeah, all the Wilson Combat and Kimber guns are custom M1911(chambered in .45ACP)clones, as is the Springfield "Operator" that I mentioned above.

theJesusHorse
BFCus Regularus

Postby patriot » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:22 am

HK SOCOM Pistol

H&K USP Expert
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby theJesusHorse » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:37 am

The SOCOM is a good offensive handgun, but it is HUGE. Because of its size, it has lost favor to its smaller brother, the USP Tactical. The Tactical is much smaller than the SOCOM, but retains most of its advantages(accuracy, threaded barrel, etc). While the SOCOM was ordered by the SEAL teams, you will most likely see them with a SIG or a USP Tactical.
Personally, I prefer a tricked out M1911...
theJesusHorse
BFCus Regularus

Postby Steve » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:23 am

Desert Eagle .50 cal. Very nice concealed carry weapon. Lightweight and small. Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman...

How much do these things go for now?

Steve
Steve
BFCus Regularus

I recommend you shoot both and then decide

Postby Expatriated » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:30 am

The HK has a tremendously long trigger pull which bothers me alot. The SIG's is much shorter but will be DA/SA while you can get the HK in a DAO model if you want a consistent trigger pull each time. Between these two, I highly prefer the SIG.

Some things to think about: Yeah the 1911 Kimbers, Wilson, Springfields, Les Baer, all those are great weapons and extremely accurate but I've found that the tighter the tolerances, the less forgiving they are with sand, etc getting into them. While the Glock will fire if you pour sand down the barrel and load the mag full.

As far as calibers, personally, I go with a 9mm so that when I'm outside the US I can find rounds for it. .45 ain't that easy to come by in most latin countries. .40 and .357 SIG even more so. I used to carry an HK P7M13 but then got a little nervous by all the attention it was getting and went with a simple Glock 19.

Good luck and remember it's the shooter, not the weapon.
Expatriated

Postby khalampre » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:39 am

H&Ks are ok, but for less money you can get a GLOCK. I would take a GLOCK any day over an H&K. Glocks come in some pretty cool sizes. I have a subcompact 45 and 10m. They make a slim 45, but it only holds 6. I have a Para in 40 cal that I used for pistol matches, and for the money that is a great gun. It will hold 19 and one in the hole, but not so easy to hide under a coat. My old boss at Shooters of Columbus (for those of yall that have been in Benning) swore by glock. He was an ex AMU (Army Marksmenship Unit) guy. He was extra deadly with a pistol.
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby theJesusHorse » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:03 am

"The Settle", as you can see, there are many opinions on the subject! Perhaps we should suggest what you shouldnt get! haha.
Ultimately what matters is finding a gun that YOU like, and feels good to YOU! What will the pistols main function be? Concealed carry? Home protection? Combat sidearm? Robbing convienience stores?
My 2 cents...

Concealed carry: Kahr P9(short, thin, accurate, reliable)

Home protection: My first pick would be a shotgun, but after that, I'd choose a .45 with Glaser Safety Slugs as ammo(prevents overpenetration).

Combat sidearm: M1911 custom(urban/close quarters combat or moderate conditions), Glock/SIG/HK for field work(desert/jungle/maritime extreme conditions)

Robbing convienience stores: Hey! Thats naughty!
theJesusHorse
BFCus Regularus

Postby Expat » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:55 pm

If you're coming to Iraq, and just looking for a reliable sidearm. Try out one of the Iraqi knock-offs that are as plentiful as fleas on a dog. One is a Beretta M-9 /92F copy that has better quality than the real thing IMO. The other (my pref) is a Browning HP copy that I have found no real flaws with other than looks. Carry it, use it, and ditch it when you go home. You can usually find either of these weapons for free if you know who to ask. Hint: make some friends with the civilian EOD people. Back home, I'd say Glock is hard to beat, accurate, and absolutely indestructible. The sigs and USPs are nice guns but a bit finicky when it comes to keeping them clean. I'm a bit lazy and prefer the ugly guns.
Expat
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:39 pm

The SOCOM was and still is a joke. You don't see them in use. Most of them are gathering dust in their groovy cases. The folks that ran out and bought them were hosed pricewise and the market is zero for them.

They go for between 1700 and $2000 these days. Better to buy a HK MP5 (they go for around $1500 in Iraq)
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby The Settle » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:39 pm

thanks for the input. I am planning on going to a gunshow next week to pickup some guns and get a feel for what i like. am looking at joining the Marines currently and/or dp missionary work down the road and i'd like a reliable gun.
Don't Tread on Me
The Settle
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!