Wanted To Buy: hand-carved SKS wood stock

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Wanted To Buy: hand-carved SKS wood stock

Postby yorick » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:35 pm

Bring back regs wont let you import firearms to the USA. But I've heard alot about Balkan folks taking pride in their weapons and hand-carving the wooden stocks on their rifles..... with village scenes, hunting scenes, etc.

I'd like to know if anybody has a source for a hand-carved wooden stock, say to replace the plain jane stock on my Romanian SKS.

It would have to come from either a Russian or Romanian SKS to fit the receiver, barrel, trigger and gas piston chamber.
Last edited by yorick on Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorick
malum discordiae

Postby theJesusHorse » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:53 pm

Installing a hand carved stock on an SKS is akin to putting 22" chrome rims on an '88 Pontiac LeMans- you can do it, but why would you want to?

If you really want to do it, just get the correct measurements, or a standard stock, and take them to a good wood worker.
theJesusHorse
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:38 am

Yorick,

Go to Romania and ask around. It's a cool place filled with friendly people. It would be a fun excuse to go there.

Buy doilies from the old ladies too. You can get some light, needlework for cheap and give the old women some money too (they make great gifts...light to carry as well.)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby yorick » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:01 pm

Here's the rub - 'surps imported into the USA are too squeeky fuckin clean. I want the real McCoy....... something tricked out by the rifleman who used the weapon.

Muslims too are known for souping up their firearms. Muzzle loading longrifles tricked out with inlays and trim. Mausers too!

Fuckin aye - the most collectible firearm in the USA is an Apache owned captured breech loader dressed out with native american glyphs.

Doilies and hubcaps?? Y'all have no fuckin clue in the world, have ye.

With my 1958 Romanian SKS i can dance a bowling pin easily at 60 yards and consistently bang a broken handle shovel blade stuck in the ground at 100 yards. What I'd like to do is attach a genuine grafiti carved wooden stock from the Balkans. No fakes or repros.

(:=
yorick
malum discordiae

Postby theJesusHorse » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:42 pm

I understand what your saying Yorick, but I just dont think your going to find too many authentic decorative SKS stocks. I just havent seen that many decorated Soviet produced weapons(AK,SKS,etc). I think this is because people tend to think of the mass produced Soviet rifles as utilitarian, almost disposeable, weapons rather than potential works or art. Maybe I'm wrong, but thats the way I see it. I wish you luck in your search.
theJesusHorse
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!