Esee knives

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Esee knives

Postby AztecDave » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:42 am

Looking at getting an Esee 3 for a small packable fixed blade. I know there’s quite a few variations. Any thoughts or comments?
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Re: Esee knives

Postby Kurt » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:47 am

I was looking at their E&E kit not to long ago and this post made me look again.

This fall we are supposed to Red Team some trackside equipment as part of a join cyber and physical security excercise and I should get some kits.

I was drooling at that hatchet for some reason even though I have a perfectly good and likely better Estwing.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Esee knives

Postby Darcy » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:38 pm

Tough razor sharp knives. I've had numerous ESEE knives and still carry their machete in the jungle. The 3 is a great easy-manageable blade for most anything and very compact. The only issue is rust, you have to keep it dry. I use Renwax. I put down a wounded blesbuck in Botswana with their Striker (same steel) and wiped the blade down really well, or so I thought, but the edge had lots of rust when I got back to camp. I saw lots of operators with ESEEs on their vest last deployment. Relatively inexpensive and tough. I switched to a Dpx HEST-4 a long while ago for the stainless steel, even used it all the time salt water fishing. No rust. Got lots of mileage on those blades!

Got too many knives now, never know what to carry. Got my Randall in the Arctic with me now, but I'll probably go back to my Dpx. Kinda digging Winklers lately (saw lots of serious dudes carrying those). Got one of their Hunters. They've got some bad ass tomahawks too! $$$$$

Renwax seems to keep the rust at bay for the carbon steel though. Highly recommended if you go with the ESEE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!