Comoros - all kicking off?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Comoros - all kicking off?

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Anyone been there recently? I fly in on Sunday and here this is an exciting time to be visiting, what with the President about to "extend" his term.

Anyways, I'll keep you all posted with images next week!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Re: Comoros - all kicking off?

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:40 pm

So this is what you're missing. I think Bob Denard might have been onto something. We drove past his old military base:

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Spent 3 years in Mtwara, a stones throw away. No where near as scenic!
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:07 am

Darcy wrote:Spent 3 years in Mtwara, a stones throw away. No where near as scenic!

I'm surprised to hear that. Would have thought that the southern Tanzanian coastline would look very similar. I have never been, but have been to nearby northern Mozambique (Pemba) and found it looked pretty good too!

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:04 am

Pemba is much nicer and better developed than Mtwara. There was very little the we first got there, none of the roads were paved (or at least "recently paved" but most of the roads were dirt), there wasn't any development, it had a roughness about it, but I'll admit while we were there, a few hotels were built, the old fish market was rebuilt, draining was massively improved, and most of the roads were paved, so it was getting better. I remember a lot of garbage everywhere. Just your few photos of Comoros makes it look far nicer.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:51 am

Looks like I go in just in time. President was trying to change the constitution when I visited, which led to a coup attempt on Andjouan island shortly after my departure!

Opportunity for one of the greatest Economist titles of all time: Coups, I did it again - Another power grab in the Comoros
https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2018/07/26/another-power-grab-in-the-comoros
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe