Syria

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Syria

Postby crotalus01 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Anyone have firsthand knowledge about the situation from the Lebanese border to Damascus? My contacts are tellking me Damascus is reasonably safe but don't know about getting there from Lebanon. Also can I still get a visa on arrival? What about at the border?
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Re: Syria

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:33 pm

Visa in advance to be safe. Beirut to Damascus is 6 to 8 hrs. About the same time to Amman if you end up going that way. Probably longer now with military n shit. Damascus is / was an awesome city.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks Rickshaw. Seems there are no travellers left on these forums. Sad....I used to always be able to get first hand info here for anyplace I went, now Thorntree has better sources of info <shakes head>
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:10 pm

Agreed it's a bit sad there is not more travel discussion on here! That's what attracted me to this place many years ago.
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Slam » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:28 am

I've heard Latakia is relatively safe. There's even some pretty good looking beach music festivals there over the last couple of years.
Slam
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ramius_Typhoon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Yeah, tell what you want about Assad's government, but they're doing their best to restart normal life in areas cleared of armed opposition. It's like during the selections for the football world cup, when Syrian female football fans could parade around wearing jerseys and shorts in support of their team, something you don't see often in the Middle East! (As far as I know, it's common in Lebanon as well to see women dressed without religious restrictions, but I never went there so I'm not sure)
Ramius_Typhoon

Return to Black Flag Cafe