Who knows about the PKK and Iraqi Kurdistan?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Who knows about the PKK and Iraqi Kurdistan?

Postby BHuskie » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:24 pm

Hey guys...I tried over in the cafe but know one responded:

Who can educate me? What is the general Iraqi-Kurdish sentiment on the PKK launching attacks from Iraqi soil? Why isn't Barzani monkey-stomping these yoo-hoos before they fuck up the whole deal? Or am I misreading the entire situation?

Thanks...
Killin' is my business and business is good
BHuskie

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:03 pm

I was speaking to a friend, an iraqi kurd who now lives in Nashville and visited N.Iraq for a month this past summer, and asked him for his take on the PKK. He says they are isolated up there at Mt.Qandil, they don't bother anyone and are barely a presence, that Turkey is overstating their threat as a reason to get into N.Iraq and destabilize the notion of a "Kurdistan." Another Iraqi friend, who lives in Erbil, states that the PKK are considered by them to be good soldiers and are respected as such but otherwise are not much of a notice.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby BHuskie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:13 am

Sounds about right. I'd be interested in just how active they are as a military force inside of Turkey, or if that's overstated as well. It's so hard to get reliable information. I wish I were rich, I'd go see for myself...

I worked with the Pesh Merga in Samarra in 2004, and I've had a fascination with all things Kurdish since, in case anyone cared as to why I care...
Killin' is my business and business is good
BHuskie

Re: Who knows about the PKK and Iraqi Kurdistan?

Postby chacha » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:21 am

Most people I've talked to here in Turkey suggest that the PKK is looking to build it's own independent state, and this pisses Turks off mostly because they want everyone living within the TUrkish borders to be Turkish, and there are simply Kurdish people who will never accept that.

Also the PKK acquires illegally smuggled goods from Iraq and sells them on the streets here in Istanbul to fund the PKK cause. That seems to bother the police.
chacha

Re:

Postby Atrax » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:04 pm

BHuskie wrote:Sounds about right. I'd be interested in just how active they are as a military force inside of Turkey, or if that's overstated as well. It's so hard to get reliable information. I wish I were rich, I'd go see for myself...

I worked with the Pesh Merga in Samarra in 2004, and I've had a fascination with all things Kurdish since, in case anyone cared as to why I care...

Who were you with in Samarra?
Atrax
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:29 pm

He hasn't posted in 3 years. He's probably become Pesh Merga by now.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Atrax » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:28 am

Sonovabitch. I always fail to notice a zombie thread.
Atrax
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe