Bubble's Travel Updates

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Bubble's Travel Updates

Postby redharen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:40 am

tech wrote:Bubble here's the thing. When your feet hit the ground start asking the question, 'what is the best bar in this town.' Keep asking til you get a satisfactory answer. It sounds facile but the search for a good bar will keep you out of alot of trouble. Doesn't matter whether it's cincinnatti or port moresby. People respect a man with an understandable goal. I believe I'll go open another carta blanca myself.

This blows my mind.
redharen
small ax

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:49 pm

I had a wonderful time in Maputo, cops did not even look at me.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Ultra Swain » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:04 am

It sounds facile but the search for a good bar will keep you out of alot of trouble.

100% true, but when you find it is when the trouble starts.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Alessandro » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:19 am

south_sea_bubble wrote:Thanks for the Ethiopian advice. I went over to their embassy: more smiles than their war fiend neighbors. They will give me a multi entry visa which hopefully improves my prospect at ADD.

The GPS is a cheap $110 Garmin Etrex. I did read the manual. That's how I got it working at home. But when I turn it on in Egypt it shows no sign of tracking any satelites. It gives me a poor reception notice everytime. Even in some wide open desert.

I only bought it because I wanted to roam a patch of Somaliland playing Indiana Jones, looking for cave art known only to locals. BTW, I was able to get a 1:100,000 50 year old map of the exact area by digging through the archives at the Royal Geographic Society--then, fuck, I left it in a cab in Cairo.

They seem to think that Iphone is dangerous, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/08/techn ... pht&st=cse
To think before you type is like wiping your butt before you dump.
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe