Bubble's Travel Updates

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Bubble's Travel Updates

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:22 pm

Also: I have a one-way ticket to Addis and no Djibouti visa. Will I have problems at Bole International?

Get your visa when you get back to Cairo, it will give you somthing to do while waiting for a responsable time to get hammered.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby vagabond » Sat May 31, 2008 8:20 pm

I think Djibouti has to be my favorite country name.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby south_sea_bubble » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:01 pm

"Did you manage to find your way back to your hotel without the aid of a GPS?"

Yes because I have no other option. This dumb GPS worked at home but it's not working in this country.
south_sea_bubble
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:32 am

south_sea_bubble wrote:"Did you manage to find your way back to your hotel without the aid of a GPS?"

Yes because I have no other option. This dumb GPS worked at home but it's not working in this country.

Does it have the right maps loaded?
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby marie-angelique » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:25 am

which gps did you bring? why is it not working?
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Penta » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:09 am

I thought SSB was being ironic.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Stiv » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:27 pm

south_sea_bubble wrote:"Did you manage to find your way back to your hotel without the aid of a GPS?"

What my cheap $110.USD Magellan hand held worked in Turkey and Peru. Read the users amnual will ya?

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:35 pm

Using a GPS while travelling is nothing short of GAY!. There is no excuse for this shit. Off to the thorn tree with the fookin lot of ya.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby south_sea_bubble » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:13 pm

Thanks for the Ethiopian advice. I went over to their embassy: more smiles than their war fiend neighbors. They will give me a multi entry visa which hopefully improves my prospect at ADD.

The GPS is a cheap $110 Garmin Etrex. I did read the manual. That's how I got it working at home. But when I turn it on in Egypt it shows no sign of tracking any satelites. It gives me a poor reception notice everytime. Even in some wide open desert.

I only bought it because I wanted to roam a patch of Somaliland playing Indiana Jones, looking for cave art known only to locals. BTW, I was able to get a 1:100,000 50 year old map of the exact area by digging through the archives at the Royal Geographic Society--then, fuck, I left it in a cab in Cairo.
south_sea_bubble
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:08 am

rickshaw92 wrote:Using a GPS while travelling is nothing short of GAY!. There is no excuse for this shit. Off to the thorn tree with the fookin lot of ya.

No more gay that glueing an MP3 to your ears.

It distracts me and kills the time.

Bubble there may be a list you can punch up the gives areas such as Asia, Europe, etc under menus, find that then go into that and punch in the country.

I while away the time on those long bus rides with it.
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:41 am

rickshaw92 wrote:Using a GPS while travelling is nothing short of GAY!. There is no excuse for this shit. Off to the thorn tree with the fookin lot of ya.

not knowing how to use a map and compass is "gay". having gps for a backup during a whiteout or sandstorm is a valid use.

i figure it could be a fun geek toy for remembering where some cool stuff is. you could give out the lat/long to friends and stuff.
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby flipflop » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:50 am

Turn the fooking thing on, scroll to the "satellites" page, punch in "new location" select "automatic" and the piece of shit should get a bead on your new satellites in a few minutes

Try that and if it doesn't work you're fooked and need to sling it or sell it to a passing a hippy (sans batteries) for $20, then scarper before he realises it's a dud

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby south_sea_bubble » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:05 pm

Thanks Rickshaw for the pub recommendation. I went over there and had a blast. I'll post about it later. Right now I have to run. I'm in Addis.

Flipflop. Tried it. Junk.
south_sea_bubble
BFCus Regularus

Postby south_sea_bubble » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:35 am

So I went to the pub. It was a dark anonymous hole in downtown Cairo. There were a few old guys nursing their drinks but one well dressed young guy, sitting slouched at the bar where I took a seat a couple of stools away. A real interesting depressed fellow. He recently graduated from AUC so he spoke perfect American English. I told him about my trip and he brightened up to the topic of traveling as this was the kind of thing he really wanted to do. He got drunk enough and liked talking about traveling so mucht that he decided I would be his psychologist for the next three hours. He told me: hates Egypt, hates AUC (cause only a few girls have loose reputations), hates Islam, is an Atheist (maybe only one I will ever meet in the ME), takes meds, is depressed because he is utterly Western in outlook but stuck in Egypt. Our conversation was loud and he even proclaimed at one crescendo that he "loved Israel" because it is the only free country around. (If only the Israelis didn't give Egyptians such a hard time he would be in Tel Aviv so often and he would be less depressed.) He recovered his senses, knowing where he was again, at the next breath and whispered, "people here may be able to understand."

He has the resources and determination to rescue himself. He will get his finance masters in London, and like all Western countries there are a million ways to extend student visas, eventually leading to naturalization. He says this is what gives him hope. He will dream about going "sexaholic on Nordic blondes" in London.

Thank you Rickshaw for leading me to an unforgettable lesson on what freedom means.
south_sea_bubble
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Guy needs to go to Copenhagen Bus. School or Stockholm School of Econ. or else he might miss out on the Nordic blondes and have to go sexaholic on some Essex girls. Good luck to him and thanks for the cool story SSB!

V
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe