ever been robbed in a foreign country?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: ever been robbed in a foreign country?

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:08 pm

I got robbed in Abkhazia this summer. I was foolishly walking around late at night with my brother looking for a cashpoint, when two Russian gentlemen relieved us of about twenty five Euros. I handed that over happily, trying to avoid a fight, but then they asked for my shirt. THE SHIRT OFF MY BACK! Despite my lack of Russian, I made it very clear what my response was. In the end, the guy I'd given the money to had to hold back the guy that was asking for my shirt. A very weird situation!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby grawp » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:19 pm

Spent a summer working a ride ticket sales kiosk at Seabreeze Amusement Park in Rochester, NY.
The whole kiosk was about as big as an old-style phone booth, with a windowed door on the front.
Late one afternoon just before shift change, this "tween-age" kid sticks a knife thru the window and demands all my cash.
Scared to death, I was too slow in getting the cashbox lid open, because the kid dropped the knife, and grabbed the cashbox.
When he tried to pull it width-wise through the window, it wouldn't go through.
Rather than turn it around, he kept tugging and tugging on it, trying to make it go through the window.
Finally, he dropped the cashbox and ran off.
I still have the knife, too.
As a memento.

grawp
The world will never love us. They respect us - they might even grow to fear us.
But they will never love us, for we have too much audacity!

- Theodore Roosevelt – “The Wind & the Lion” (1975)
grawp
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alessandro » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:22 am

Sure,in Egypt back in the evil days of civil war in the 1990ies.
To think before you type is like wiping your butt before you dump.
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:49 pm

only time anyone tried to mug me was in the states. most recent attempt in minnesota by a gang of tweakers. not that determined, they ran off after a few blows were exchanged.

my brother got sliced up by a couple moroccans in spain, but still wound up escaping with his cash.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Killer ladyboys

Postby suwon fish » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:05 am

I've been robbed while sleeping a couple of times, but never awake. I take an Old Testament view to people who want to rob me ^^

That said, I had a funny (not at the time) incident in Pattaya some years ago...

My hotel was on Beach road, maybe a K from Walking street. Early one evening I wandered down Beach road on my way to Walking street for some, err, well, you know...

I was in a beautific mood, toting a cold one and a shit kickers grin. On my way I was drawn into a brief conversation with a charismatic ladyboy. No worries, we shared a joke, I wished the dude good luck etc. and off I went forgetting all about the encounter.

0500 saw me staggering home along Beach road back to my hotel. The lad in a dress was still there with a bunch of his friends. These dudes had obviously come down from their Yaba high and were twitchy and desparate. He recognised me and said that I had promised to bang him for Baht 1,000. I smiled and pointed out his error, noticing that I was the only Farang (white) fucker on Beach road at that time of day.

The dude becomes more and more insistent that I should pay him 300 Baht for a quickie and grabs me in a weird way (a grip I later saw in Cambodia), as his buddies started to encircle me. While trying to diplomatically extracate myself from this, as if by magic the group of 3/4 ladyboys became a group of about 20 or 30 in well under a minute. These dudes really looked like a zombie hoard, that is the effect of coming down from Yaba and poorly applied make up to a stubbly chin!

I had concluded I had to fight my way out of this, also knowing it was a losing proposition. Damn, the kicking of a lifetime from a bunch of boys in dresses :(

As I am preparing to move, a miracle happened! A tuk tuk speed right into the ring of LBs, and the tuk tuk cheerfully asks me if I need a ride. Fuck yes! I jumped in and we sped back to the hotel, my ass litereally saved!

And yes, he did get a good tip.
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby BigFire » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:58 am

I was on a tramvei going downtown and it was a cold winter day in Kiev in the early mid 1990's. I just left my work at the Eastern Economist, after getting paid in 'coupons', the local transition currency, the conversion was about 250,000 to $1 at the time, and I have a pile of this funny money. I put most of this money in my inner pockets, but I put a decent amount in one of my large front jacket pockets, and there was two of these large pockets. Well, at this next tramvei stop I was in the middle of the car and there were not many people on this cold and damp creaking car and I was standing by the middle door ready to get out soon. The middle door opens and this huge guy gets on in two steps, he must have been over seven foot-four, they call them 'doors' in Ukraine supposedly and they are not rare. So in two steps this guy is on the top step in the middle of the car and he immediately sticks his large hand in one of my chest pockets, but he picks the wrong pocket and nothing is in there. I grab his wrist with both my hands and nothing much happens, but he gives me this strange huge smile and looks at me in my eyes, and the door is still open, and he turns around and leaves down to the street level in a few seconds and is gone into the shadows. I will never forget the crazed look on his face. I had this girl with me and I reach in and pull out my wad and show it to her and put it back in as the stinky smelly wet tramvei takes off down the snow covered street in early 1990's Kiev...

Also in Paris on the steps of the Louve metro entrance, a herd of Roma kids swarm me and I start flailing, kicking and back handing as many as possible as they start to back off and fall on the ground. Damn they are fast, but nothing missing, but my bag was opened but nothing missing. I go tell the cop, and he just looks at me...
BigFire

Postby SUM » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:06 pm

EMT pack, flashlight, deck of cards, lighter, Gerber Fairbairn and Sykes, paracord. All out of one place,my tent! Crafty bastards climbed three stories to get to the hospital roof where I was camped!
SUM

Postby RSnyder » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:10 am

Does being robbed by the cops count? I can't remember how many on-the-spot "fines" I've paid at gunpoint.
"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." - James Michener
"Why is it that everyone who hates freedom apparently hates indoor plumbin'?" - Tim Wilson, comedian.
RSnyder

Postby DinaldDock » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:04 am

Robbed=Good
Kidnapped=Generally Bad (food isn't particularly good)
DinaldDock

Postby Chang Yai » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:04 am

Was slipped roofies in a drink in Puerto Rico. Blacked out, total amnesia for 6 months, then it all came back at once. Was rolled at knifepoint for my shoes, then was taken out back and robbed of my wallet. I realized after I got home that I had asked the doorman at the Condado Hotel where a good nightclub was. I think he set me up and had me robbed because he knew I had cash on me.

Was confronted by a group of guys with machetes in Cambodia last year but I ran before they could say a word....maybe they were just machete salesmen. Who knows. Man, I didn't know I could run that fast in flip flops.
Chang Yai

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:45 pm

Chang Yai wrote: I realized after I got home that I had asked the doorman at the Condado Hotel where a good nightclub was. I think he set me up and had me robbed because he knew I had cash on me.

Where did he send you?
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Chang Yai wrote:Blacked out, total amnesia for 6 months, then it all came back at once.

Must have been some kick-ass roofies.
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Chang Yai » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:53 pm

It was a nightclub called Peggy Sue. 50's themed place. IDK if it's around anymore.
Chang Yai

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:49 pm

At gunpoint,then eventually shot at,then interrogated by police with an uzi in my face because they failed to kill me....so they could cover their black asses.
Sri Lanky

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe