ever been robbed in a foreign country?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

ever been robbed in a foreign country?

Postby RomanianDUDE87 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:56 am

I have and it wasn't pleasant. I figured many of you travellers have been robbed at one point or another in your travels. I was robbed at knifepoint by two african-american (im not racist or anything , just stating a fact) guys a few days ago while I got lost in a suburb of amsterdam (while being stoned offcourse lol). Anyways they prob sensed I was an easy target due to me stumbling around holding a map in my hands. Obvious tourist ,I know.

Anyways I was wondering about any tips you guys might have to deal with this and what special precautions if any you've been taking since then.

I know this is a noob thread but whatever, just making chitchat ya know...
RomanianDUDE87
BFCus Regularus

Re: ever been robbed in a foreign country?

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:41 am

I can't think of the last time I was in Mexico and made it back without being robbed, and it was 100% at the hands of the police or the army. Been robbed on foot and in the car. My friends and I are expert about stashing cash and ID about the vehicle to avoid sticky fingered Federales at checkpoints. The dummy wallet and stuffing cash in my socks has saved me a few times. If I was going out barhopping I carried xerox copies of my passport and enough cash to get me through a couple hours. The tricks depend on what you are doing.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby shivers » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:45 am

RomanianDUDE87 wrote:I was robbed at knifepoint by two african-american (im not racist or anything , just stating a fact) guys a few days ago while I got lost in a suburb of amsterdam

For real? You were robbed by Americans in Amsterdam? That's a bit unexpected.

I guess I'm really lucky. I've never been robbed or attacked or anything like that while travelling. People pretty much leave me alone, except for guys trying to hit on me.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby roadkill » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:02 am

new york, amsterdam, honduras. all unsuccessful. i fear the day i run into a pro.
roadkill
BFCus Regularus

Postby Medevac » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:41 pm

RomanianDUDE87 wrote:I have and it wasn't pleasant. I figured many of you travellers have been robbed at one point or another in your travels. I was robbed at knifepoint by two african-american (im not racist or anything , just stating a fact) guys a few days ago while I got lost in a suburb of amsterdam (while being stoned offcourse lol). Anyways they prob sensed I was an easy target due to me stumbling around holding a map in my hands. Obvious tourist ,I know.

Anyways I was wondering about any tips you guys might have to deal with this and what special precautions if any you've been taking since then.

I know this is a noob thread but whatever, just making chitchat ya know...

Robbed by two African-Americans in Amsterdam. Did they show you their passports?

Fuck I love it when people try to to be PC but can't comprehend that black people may not be African-American.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Postby coldharvest » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:01 pm

Anyways I was wondering about any tips you guys might have to deal with this

I'd go through their wallets after I battered them to death.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:48 am

Jamaica,at gunpoint.

...been robbed by a few whores here and there basically because I was semi-conscious.
Sri Lanky

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:06 am

Does robbing someone count?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby babihutan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:35 am

RomanianDUDE87 wrote:I was robbed at knifepoint by two african-american (im not racist or anything , just stating a fact)

I was robbed twice in the same night on the same street in Quito Ecuador. first time was one on one (by a black guy armed with a fork) so I basically pushed him away, but the second time I got surrounded by six (all black) dudes trying to get in my hostel at 3 in the morning. I put up no fight, and they were off with my decoy wallet with a wopping 13 dollars U.S., an expired library card, fake credit card, and my timex indiglo watch that was 12 years old at the time (needed a new arm band anyway)
Yeah, what's up with them blacks eh? never up to any good
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:33 am

Yeah, what's up with them blacks eh? never up to any good

...they do make good music.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby vagabond » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:22 am

Two attempts and once successful.

The successful occurred in the dorm of a hostel in Salamanca. Seems that a guy came in late while everyone was asleep and stole what he could. I was amazed as it was a 12 person dorm and no one saw or heard him. I only lost about 20 euro from my trousers pocket but a girl had her passport, credit cards, and nice new digital camera (this was back in 02 so quite expensive then) stolen because she had failed to lock her bag.

Two attempted:

1) In Tallinn, around 5 am or so, two kids tried to jump me but thought better of it when I slammed one into a historic wall.

2) In St Petersburg, got into a precarious situation with some guys my friends and I had met on the streets, one grabbing my arm and leading me away from them as we neared the bar we were all headed to. I got free and ran in past security.

I guess I could list a third, that would've been a group robbery, my first trip in 01. Some African guys tried to start a fight with some guys I was travelling with at the Nice train station. They wanted him to come outside. He was ready to do it but at some signal the guy backed off and ran out the front. Then some plainclothes cops came up and explained that had he gone out to fight 1) he would've lost and 2) once he dropped his bags they would've ran off with them.

V
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:28 pm

I have. Once, in 1976, within 20 minutes of arriving in Cúcuta, the first time I set foot in Colombia. A street kid ripped a gold chain and my grandmother's gold seal off my neck (the only jewellery I hadn't taken off, because I'd been wearing it non-stop for 10 years or so and had forgotten all about it). Better a little chain than earrings, as my earlobes remained intact. He could run faster than I could, so he got away.

First, only, and, I hope, last time.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby nowonmai » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:05 pm

i fear the day i run into a pro.

They rob you of your innocence.

I've never been robbed as the people love me wherever I go.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chelly » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:50 pm

well I'll be damned. I didn't know this thread was here.
Chelly
Besleeve Yourself, Strumpet!

Postby el3so » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:25 pm

An Italian woman stole my heart. Never seen her since.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe