war tourism in Balkan ?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

war tourism in Balkan ?

Postby Bobleponge » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:24 am

I've been interested in tourism and war History for a few years now, which lead me to differents countries like Cambodia, lituania, Vietnam, Colombia, Salvador, etc.
I'm now planning to visit the Balkan region (especialy Bosnia and Croatia) looking for sites of interest linked the war heritage and memory.
Would somebody have advices or suggestions ?
Bobleponge

Re: war tourism in Balkan ?

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:34 am

No travel advice till you have at least 100 posts.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby mapandcompass » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:30 am

Be careful in Fuckistan!
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:50 pm

lol

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby RSnyder » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:54 am

Try reading "Balkan Ghosts: A Journey Through History" by Robert Kaplan. Having lived and traveled there, it covered everything you might want to know. Lots of dark history, good food, very bad bandits, and good people around. Keep money handy for bribes.

Funny thing about your post title. A bunch of buddies and I actually discussed trying to start such a service for the Balkans. The region has been popping up in a few Sunday morning Travel sections.
"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." - James Michener
"Why is it that everyone who hates freedom apparently hates indoor plumbin'?" - Tim Wilson, comedian.
RSnyder

Postby AztecDave » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Croatia's Eastern Slavonia - AKA UNPROFOR Sector East, is interesting. Was there in Dec '95 when it was the last bastion of the Serbs - Arkan, et al. I imagine they have cleared out the mines by now. Is on the Danube and very nice spot. Check out Vukovar - the Croatian Alamo.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe