Suggestion for Formula One Race?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Suggestion for Formula One Race?

Postby Tyrant » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:29 pm

After hearing that F1 is coming to America next year for the first time since 2007,(Austin, TX) myself and some family members have decided to also travel for a race next year.
I am not much of a world traveler, I travel quite a bit in North America but have hardly any experience outside it. I was hoping you guys/gals here could give me your insight on the locations and your choice if you could go to any of them.

Budget is not determined. Race weeks are more expensive than normal in all countries. After some research, Monaco, (which would be my first choice) is probably the only one absolutely out of reach.

What is the weather like for approximate time of each event? It would absolutely suck to go half way around the world to see a shitty race in the rain. For this reason I have not ruled out Malaysia, but it seems to rain hard for that race every year.

We have been to the Canada race so It is out.

We will probably spend 7 days if that matters, so other things to do in the area would be great to hear about.
I appreciate any input-
-Ty

Round Race Title Grand Prix Circuit Date Time
Local UTC
1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix Bahrain GP Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir 13 March 15:00 12:00
2 Qantas Australian Grand Prix[75] Australian GP Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne 27 March 17:00 06:00
3 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix[76] Malaysian GP Sepang International Circuit, Kuala Lumpur 10 April 16:00 08:00
4 UBS Chinese Grand Prix Chinese GP Shanghai International Circuit† 17 April 15:00 07:00
5 Panasonic Turkish Grand Prix Turkish GP Istanbul Park 8 May 15:00 12:00
6 Gran Premio de España Spanish GP Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona 22 May 14:00 12:00
7 Grand Prix de Monaco Monaco GP Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo 29 May 14:00 12:00
8 Grand Prix du Canada Canadian GP Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal 12 June 13:00 17:00
9 European Grand Prix European GP Valencia Street Circuit 26 June 14:00 12:00
10 Santander British Grand Prix British GP Silverstone Circuit 10 July 13:00 12:00
11 Großer Preis Santander von Deutschland German GP Nürburgring 24 July 14:00 12:00
12 Eni Magyar Nagydíj Hungarian GP Hungaroring, Budapest 31 July 14:00 12:00
13 Belgian Grand Prix Belgian GP Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Spa 28 August 14:00 12:00
14 Gran Premio Santander d'Italia Italian GP Autodromo Nazionale Monza 11 September 14:00 12:00
15 Singapore Grand Prix Singapore GP Marina Bay Street Circuit 25 September 20:00 12:00
16 Japanese Grand Prix Japanese GP Suzuka Circuit, Suzuka 9 October 15:00 06:00
17 Korean Grand Prix Korean GP Korean International Circuit, Yeongam 16 October 15:00 06:00
18 Indian Grand Prix Indian GP[77] Jaypee Group Circuit, Greater Noida† 30 October TBA TBA
19 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Abu Dhabi GP Yas Marina Circuit 13 November 17:00 13:00
20 Grande Prêmio do Brasil Brazilian GP Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo 27 November 14:00 16:00
Tyrant

Re: Suggestion for Formula One Race?

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:58 am

I don't follow F1 so I can't comment on the quality of the race. I was in Kuala Lumpur when the F1 race was going on there. Had to hunt for a hotel room. the track is very easy to get to from Central KL (near the airport which is accessible by high speed rail). KL is a cool place and affordable. You are right, it will probably rain.

Other than that the Hungarian and Sao Paolo races look intriguing.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:50 am

I'd pick a street circuit because they're cooler to me. I think that limits you to Valencia and Singapore. However, I think Delhi would be cool too.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:45 am

I now nothing of F1. Why is Monaco out of reach? Is it because viewing places/seats are in short supply and/or extremely expensive? Because, you know, there is absolutely no need to take your accommodation in Monaco. Just stay in neighbouring France. Millions spend their summer vacations along that coast, yes it will be busy, but there are thousands of hotels. Fly to Nice, which shouldn't be too expensive. You can reach Monaco by train or bus, and if the race starts early make sure you can get to Monaco that same morning.

Otherwise, all European F1s during the summer should be good. Nice weather (though heavy summer showers are a danger), good infrastructure, lots of competition in the tourism sector, cheap to reach from the US. Germany should be well-organized; Nurnberg and Munich are great places for sightseeing and cultivated chilling in the vicinity. Budapest is beautiful, and can still be quite a bit cheaper than western Europe. Istanbul, also affordable and lots of things to see, but not as quiet and civilized as further west. Italy, Spain very heavily touristed in summer and very expenmsive if you don't pay attention, but great cultural attractions. Never understood why anyone would voluntarily spend even an hour in Belgium...

I'd avoid any F1 that is named after a sponsor. Just to stick it to the corporate assholes.
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe