How's the situation in Iran?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

How's the situation in Iran?

Postby JMont » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:50 pm

Longtime fan, first time poster here.

I've recently been offered an internship in Iran, which I'd like to take, but am not too sure about the concerns involved. I'm 25, a student, and have done a fair amount of travel (most recently working in Turkey, was in SE Asia for a while as well, along with plenty of travel in developed regions) and thought I'd get some feedback. The job is in Tehran with a mining company.

I've heard it's a bad idea to take photos in the streets, and am wondering how much suspicion I'd draw as a single white male showing up for a summer internship in the private sector there. The stories I've heard about Iran from friends who've been there stack up very closely with the DP guide's description, a very hospitable place that has safe streets, outdated decor, strict laws, and a stern government that runs it all with plenty of soldiers and cops about. I'm also a little concerned about likelihood of a revolution/instability kicking off this summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
JMont

Re: How's the situation in Iran?

Postby coldharvest » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:51 am

go
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby gnaruki » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:34 am

coldharvest wrote:go

What he said. I have a few friends from Iran, most look at the current civil unrest to be no different than the past few years. I was going to go to Iran with one of them last year but I didn't have the money...well I could have made it happen and now I'm pissed I blew it off.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby JMont » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Does anyone know whether there's truth to the story about not being able to take photos around Tehran? I know airports/military stuff is always a bad idea, but I was surprised to hear they're not even cool with having a camera out in the market etc.
JMont

Postby Sean McHugh » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:18 pm

Iran's a breeze- you're just talking from Western garbage propaganda; I went from Pakistan to Tehran two years back. Iran is the most Westernized country beyond the West, it's just that the West doesn't have the access it wants to its oil, so it's therefore a bad bad place. Just think of the countries Iran has invaded!! The evil wars it wages!! Don't go.
Sean McHugh

Postby vagabond » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:05 pm

If your biggest concern is taking pictures then just don't take pictures. Don't pass up an awesome opportunity. If things kick off there either get out or get a drink and watch the party.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:13 pm

I said fuckin' go.
......don't make me come over there.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Return to Black Flag Cafe