Mosquitoes And Sexual Transmission

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Mosquitoes And Sexual Transmission

Postby RYP » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:54 pm

Man Sexually Transmits Insect-Borne Disease to Wife
Published April 08, 2011
| FoxNews.com
Print Email Share Comments (69)

Scientists think they may have documented the first case of a sexually transmitted insect-borne disease, according to a study in Emerging Infectious Diseases.
Brian Foy, a vector biologist at Colorado State University who traveled to Senegal, was bitten by a mosquito and subsequently developed the Zika virus, which causes fatigue and joint pains.
When Foy returned to the U.S. and had sex with his wife, he unknowingly transmitted the disease to her.
Foy, who is also the author of the study, initially wrote about three anonymous patients, but later revealed in an interview with Science Now that he is patient No. 1; his colleague, Kevin Kobylinski, a Ph.D student who accompanied Foy on the trip, is patient No. 2; and Foy’s wife, Joy Chilson Foy, is patient No. 3. Chilson Foy co-authored the study.
Foy and Kobylinski returned from Senegal in August 2008 after collecting mosquitoes as part of their research. Five days later, they both developed rashes on their torsos, fatigue, headaches, and swollen, painful wrists, knees and ankles. Foy said he also had an inflamed prostate, painful urination and blood in his semen.

Maculopapular rash on patient 3 infected with Zika virus, Colorado, USA
By early September, Chilson Foy became ill – she also had a headache with hypersensitivity to light, muscle pains and chills. The Foy’s children did not get sick. The couple said they started to feel better within a week, except for the joint pains.
The Foys took their case to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lab for insect-borne diseases in Fort Collins, Colo., and the scientists there were just as stumped. Foy and Kobylinski both tested positive for dengue fever, but Chilson Foy did not. However, a medical entomologist at the University of Texas Medical Brach at Galveston, Andrew Haddow, had another theory – the Zika virus.
Since Foy had kept serum samples frozen, he had a colleague of Haddow’s run tests and sure enough, the samples came back positive for Zika.
According to Foy’s study, the circumstantial evidence for Chilson Foy’s sexual transmission is strong.
“Patients 1 and 3 reported having vaginal sexual intercourse in the days after patient 1 returned home but before the onset of his clinical illness,” he wrote.
Foy said there are hints in other literature that sexually transmitted mosquito-borne viruses are possible. Boars who were infected with Japanese encephalitis shed the virus in their semen, and when female pigs were artificially inseminated with the boars’ semen they also became infected.
Haddow said most cases of the Zika virus are mistaken for dengue fever, which is mostly found in parts of Africa and Southeast Asia.
Click here to read more from the CDC.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/04/0 ... z1IyW2zOAc
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Re: Mosquitoes And Sexual Transmission

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Now I have a back-up to the old Toilet Seat excuse

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby AztecDave » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:41 am

"No, really, Honey, I was bite by a mosquito!" Wonder how that would play out.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby BillyOblivion » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:41 am

AztecDave wrote:"No, really, Honey, I was bite by a mosquito!" Wonder how that would play out.

Depends on where the sore is.
BillyOblivion
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:51 am

Not good!
Sri Lanky

Return to Black Flag Cafe