S Asia Travel in Early June

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

S Asia Travel in Early June

Postby vagabond » Sun May 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Heading to Mumbai for a month for work on Wednesday. I was going to save my vacation time for a bit later but I am curious to any suggestions of places to head in early June in South Asia.

I figure the further north I get, the less chance of running into early monsoon activity but I'm also only carrying gear for warm weather and have no intention of buying anything unnecessary. Then again, if all I need is a jumper for a cold night, that's not asking too much. The trip would only last about two weeks. Himachal Pradesh (which I hear gets crowded that time of year)? Kashmir?

The thought of nipping over the border to Pakistan also crossed my mind, possibly from Amritsar to Lahore, but I figured it would be pretty unbearably hot that way. Also, I'm not sure how long the visa process would take or if I'd have time to deal with bureaucratic hassles while working.

Thoughts?
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Re: S Asia Travel in Early June

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Lahore is lovely with good eating, Amritsar is a great city as well. The border closing show is not to be missed. Been to northern areas in India and Pak in Oct / Nov, KKH, Peshawar, Kyber pass, Simla and Mc Leaod Gange and had nothing warmer than a hoodie and levis jacket so uou should be fine. Sri Lanka is a good option, no hippies or izzies when I went to Hickadua though that was a while back and the locals were still mixing it up in the north. Couldent get farther than Kandy at the time. You could arange to fly home from Calcutta, check ojt a bit of Rajisthan then go to Delhi and get a train via Varanasi. Or you could just get an overpriced chunk of hash off a friendly local Ruskie down in Goa and sit around on the beach and smoke it.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby vagabond » Mon May 02, 2011 12:35 am

rickshaw92 wrote:Lahore is lovely with good eating, Amritsar is a great city as well. The border closing show is not to be missed. Been to northern areas in India and Pak in Oct / Nov, KKH, Peshawar, Kyber pass, Simla and Mc Leaod Gange and had nothing warmer than a hoodie and levis jacket so uou should be fine.

Excellent, thanks.

Sri Lanka is a good option, no hippies or izzies when I went to Hickadua though that was a while back and the locals were still mixing it up in the north. Couldent get farther than Kandy at the time.

Yeah, was in SL in Nov '08. Think I'll not be going back for a bit. I also assume by the time I'm finished with work in June the rains will be creeping north.

You could arange to fly home from Calcutta, check ojt a bit of Rajisthan then go to Delhi and get a train via Varanasi. Or you could just get an overpriced chunk of hash off a friendly local Ruskie down in Goa and sit around on the beach and smoke it.

Rajasthan was first choice but a friend from there said that even the locals can't really take the heat in June so probably best to leave for another trip. Would love to get out to Jaipur, Jodhpur and the desert and such at some point though.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby BigFire » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:46 am

Bhutan, Kashmir, Burma, Stanistan.
BigFire

Return to Black Flag Cafe