Nicaragua-Road from Managua to Rio San Juan

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Nicaragua-Road from Managua to Rio San Juan

Postby MyBoozers » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Hello, wondering if anyone is familiar with this road? The only information on the net and in guide books that I'm finding for the bus ride from Managua to San Carlos is a 12 hour bus ride. I cannot find any information on the towns located between Managua and San Carlos. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are any good spots on this route to stop for the night to break up the long bus ride? I'm also considering the ferry across the lake, which also seems super long. We would rather go by road if we are able to stop on the way to break up the ride. Thanks for your help.
MyBoozers

Re: Nicaragua-Road from Managua to Rio San Juan

Postby friendlyskies » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:01 am

Hey! Yes, I've done that trip once by bus, once by ferry, and ever since by plane. I recommend the plane lol.

BUT. If you take the bus, there are lots of very cool places to stop. My favorite is Boaco, which has hot (well, warm) springs and is famous for steak and cheese, plus it's beautiful. The hot springs hotel is pretty basic and 4km ($3 by taxi) from town, but I love it.

Juigalpa (which is probably the better choice for spending the night, geographically) is also very pretty, and has the best museum in Nicaragua IMO. A collection of pre-Columbian stone statues and pillars that will blow your mind. There's a really good restaurant with a cheese shop right off the main square, I can't remember the name but the menu has the history of the town and the shoeshine statue in the central plaza. (A former mayor started out as a homeless shoeshine boy, so it's sort of in his honor). I hear they finally put a real hotel down by Puerto Díaz, the beach on the lake, but I don't know for sure.

The ferry is awful imo, especially in rainy season. Take dramamine..... no, take xanax. Seriously. Or the plane.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby MyBoozers » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks so much for the info, good to know the ferry is miserable. We will take the bus and check out the spots you mentioned!
MyBoozers

Postby friendlyskies » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:28 pm

Oh hey - I should have asked you earlier, but if you do make it to Juigalpa, and find out that there *is* a realish hotel at Puerto Diaz, could you let me know? Thx!!
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby MyBoozers » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:32 pm

Will do!
MyBoozers

Return to Black Flag Cafe