Overland UK to Gaza

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Overland UK to Gaza

Postby vagabond » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:38 pm

mountainwiccan wrote:Your post is irrelevant as we are not paying the £70k to ship it to Egypt! We are seeking an alternative route now.

I could say to anyone on this site- rather than booking a thrill trip, why not take your money and use it for this that and the other. We have chosen Gaza and if i had said we were giving aid to Sudan, some other person would have said, "Why don't you use it for.. the Congo, Burundi, etc etc"

Not really. My point was more about efficiency. This is a really expensive political statement that will get you...where? There's more effective ways to use the amount of money needed to even attempt this, in places all over the world and your backyard.

What about what happens when you solve your problem of actually moving the goods? What exactly are you sending? How do you plan on getting it unloaded and sent to the border? Do you have contacts with smugglers to help get through tunnels if need be? How much are you prepared to have confiscated by the Israelis? Do you have contacts in Gaza? Where will the goods go and how will they be distributed once there? What cut is Hamas going to take of it? Etc.

Anyway, buffybot has some good points so maybe give those a shot.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby redharen » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:50 pm

5,800 tons of goods went into Gaza yesterday through the Kerem Shalom crossing. You ought to look into purchasing goods in Israel and just sending them through on trucks.
redharen
small ax

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Postscript, upon re-reading the shipping cost quote. Seems enormous. Is that for chartering a vessel? Or for using obscure ports? How many vehicles do you have in your convoy?

I would look into scheduled ferry services (roll-on/roll-off) between established ports. This one for example, Venice to Alexandria: http://www.visemarline.com/en/homepage.php
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:01 pm

You ought to look into purchasing goods in Israel and just sending them through on trucks.

Yea, like doin shit the easy way makes a real statement.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby coldharvest » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:45 pm

When A annoys or injures B on the pretense of saving or improving X, A is a scoundrel.
HL Menken
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby friendlyskies » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Are you going to dress up as characters from Avatar? That got more press per shekel than any pro-Palestine protest they've had in ages.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby flipflop » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:35 am

redharen wrote:5,800 tons of goods went into Gaza yesterday through the Kerem Shalom crossing. You ought to look into purchasing goods in Israel and just sending them through on trucks.

Ah, but that doesn't give one a "windswept and interesting" aura over the fair trade finger buffet back home in Islington

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:40 am

mountainwiccan wrote:He is the one who went on the Mavi Marmara not me - and disabling two Israeli commandos I do not call hippy even if you do.

That was a good strategy, did he go to the 9 funerals he helped to cause?

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:23 am

back home in Islington

I kinda like that part of London. There is a kick ass burrito joint across from Angel Tube a few doors down from the Spoons that rocks.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe