Whos got the goods on Syria?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Whos got the goods on Syria?

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Seems the place is a bit fucked up now and I think I might wanna go there instead of Iraqi Kurdistan as I hear it is safe and overpriced. So anyone been to Syria lately?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Re: Whos got the goods on Syria?

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:48 pm

Two sticky threads on the Thorn Tree/Middle East/Syria. Opinions split between those who say all foreigners are as safe as in Liechtenstein and those who say you will instantly die upon entering Syria.

You can still get in with a pre-arranged visa because Assad is desperate to prove that there is no trouble at all in Syria. You can probably have a quiet holiday if you avoid the hotspots. If you do end up in the middle of a demo, you may get shot by government snipers or crushed by tanks. Over the past few months things have steadily gotten worse, with Hama a massive escalation in the last few days.

In my humble opinion, based on anecdotal stories, by far the biggest risk is running into trouble with one of the dozens of security agencies. They will lock you up and beat you up, never mind your western passport, if there is anything about you that makes them suspicious. What could that be? Assume they are scared, paranoid and brainwashed. The simple fact that you post stuff here on the BFC might make you an undercover human rights investigator and Mossad-sponsored journalist in their eyes The mukhabarat won't find out about the BFC? Maybe not. Maybe...

I'd say my grandmother who has never been to the Middle East, doesn't watch news, speaks no foreign language and is computer-illiterate can pass as a no-risk visitor in Syria these days. You and me? I wouldn't risk it.
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:16 pm

Am I mistaken or was it you who said words to the effect of you weren't coming back until penta did?

if I'm right then why don't you go to Polosbastards she is posting like a belt fed machinegun - problem is no one replies except the two owners of Polosbatards who used to post here. It's almost tragic what people will do to get their hits up. Anyway, nice to see you back even though I'm the opposite of you, I came back when she left, purely to rub her nose in it and enjoy a bit of virtual grave pissing on. As yet I'm still not bored of that.

Anyway, as for this advice I reject it on your behalf. You'll love it there, they fucking hate Jews, it gives them a reason to exist. If the vultures in the Syrian Gestapo observe your activities on the BFC they will see that you hate Jews just like they do - I think they'll give you the freedom of Damascus and maybe an honorary bachelors degree in International Jewish Conspiracies.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:36 am

Am I mistaken or was it you who said words to the effect of you weren't coming back until penta did?

Mistaken dude, I said nuthin of the sort. I tent to thumb my nose at the internet from time to time.

to Polosbastards she is posting like a belt fed machinegun - problem is no one replies except the two owners of Polosbatards who used to post here.

I know.

I came back when she left, purely to rub her nose in it and enjoy a bit of virtual grave pissing on.

You were missed.

Anyway, as for this advice I reject it on your behalf.

Cheers.

You'll love it there

The food was good last time though the beer sucked.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby nowonmai » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:58 pm

My bad - I was addressing the first two paragraphs to Buffmybot in Gayroot and the last one to Ricky.

Go to Syria. Only the good die young, yar.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Xaloc » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:20 pm

nowonmai wrote: she is posting like a belt fed machine-gun

You seem to be a rapid fire poster yourself. Do you fill the standard role of forum loudmouth here?
Xaloc

Postby flipflop » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 pm

Xaloc wrote:

You seem to be a rapid fire poster yourself. Do you fill the standard role of forum loudmouth here?

Oh, he does more than that, but then you knew that anyway, didn't you?

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Xaloc wrote:

Nowhami is our special little poster so we give him a bit of leeway.

Who are you?
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:04 pm

She's been posting pretty regularly on my little Facebook political chat group. She's actually been very informative overall, though I think she's about to make her first enemy. The guy is such a fucking cunt though, he claims to be an expert on Latin America but not only thought that Hugo Chavez came from a rich family (!) but was also the President of Bolivia (!!!!!)

Penta really bodyslammed him, though, when he claimed that the USA is "the most generous country in the world" in terms of aid packages..... sure, we're not the worst country or anything, but come on. Don't be a fucking fag. And by fag, I mean cigarette, because he was smoked. I almost felt bad for him, and I spend most of my time on there trying to will his head to explode, like in Scanners.

But it's so US-centric that I think she gets bored. She had a pretty good troll about the death penalty going for a while, I believe my favorite insult was "antidiluvian." jejeje that thread got 100+ replies.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby nowonmai » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:24 pm

Xaloc wrote:

I can be whatever you want me to be sister.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:50 pm

nowonmai wrote:My bad - I was addressing the first two paragraphs to Buffmybot in Gayroot and the last one to Ricky.

Go to Syria. Only the good die young, yar.

If you don't get a laugh from his posts even when he is flaming you you'd be a wee bit tight arsed.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby bfcadmin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:30 am

Guys before you go on with this discussion about Syria and the occasional baiting of Xaloc (which has its moments I agree.....)

X ref / read this:

http://www.cafe.comebackalive.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53819&start=45
I am Kurt again.
bfcadmin
Site Admin

Postby nowonmai » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:24 pm

bfcadmin wrote:Guys before you go on with this discussion about Syria and the occasional baiting of Xaloc (which has its moments I agree.....)

X ref / read this:

http://www.cafe.comebackalive.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53819&start=45

She's a damn pirate by God. Man the 18 pounders and heave to, ready for starboard broadside and prepare boarding parties. No quarter to be given damn their black hearts, we'll be drinking their rum by vespers.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Silver550 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:40 pm

If you're still interested in the Syria question, rickshaw, I went there last month and it was great. I had no visa beforehand and just showed up at the border (fully expecting to get rejected) but, it was extremely easy to get in. I spent several days in Damascus before heading out into the countryside. Damascus is a beautiful city, but even better now is the fact that I didn't see a single tourist the whole time I was there. Also, due to the absence of tourists, everything is much cheaper. I paid about 20% of the normal price for my hotel in Damascus and I probably could have gotten the guy lower since I was the only one there, but I felt sorry for him. This is the BFC and so I don't know if you wish to avoid the "bang bang" or not, but if you wish to, it is easy to avoid. Anyway, the bottom line, is that I would wholeheartedly endorse a visit at this time.
"All is as trite as it is transitory." - Marcus Aurelius

www.TheVelvetRocket.com
Silver550
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Xaloc wrote:

you're banned Penta
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe