Has anyone been to Sardinia?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Has anyone been to Sardinia?

Postby Kurt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:11 pm

I did a search and found that Redfax has been there.

I may go there this month and any tips would be appreciated.

I want to see historical sites ranging from Beaker, Carthaginian, Roman, Basque, etc. etc.

And food.

I have also heard that a varient of the extinct Roman spice Sylphium grows there as a wild fennel, so I would like to see if it is still used in cooking there (I know I could just buy a book or something but I am looking for excuses to travel and eat rather than find answers)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Has anyone been to Sardinia?

Postby Silver550 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:35 pm

I haven't been to Sardinia, but since you're going to be in the area, you might want to give Corsica a try. Get away from the sunburned, overweight French tourists on the beaches and head into the interior... You'll meet the real Corsicans here (plenty of pro-FLNC sentiments) and the scenery is just beautiful - small villages that don't look much different than they did a century ago, alpine mountainscapes, pine-filled valleys, etc. And the best part is that all of the tourists stay along the coast...

Okay, I know the above response didn't answer your question at all, so I asked my wife (who is Italian) about Sardinia. She said it is similar to Corsica with the mountainous interior and crowded beaches. The beaches are quite touristy and many people have holiday homes along the coast (including Berlusconi). However, there are apparently, some great Italian villages to visit in the interior. Relatively isolated, they have maintained distinct identities and can offer one a glimpse of more traditional Italian life and culture (or so I have been informed).
"All is as trite as it is transitory." - Marcus Aurelius

www.TheVelvetRocket.com
Silver550
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Go spearfishing you pouf.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:22 pm

nowonmai wrote:Go spearfishing you pouf.

We might be thinking of different types of spearfishing but i have done it and it is fun.

But, this was on a slow river, a flat bottomed boat and I stabbed carp with a big trident like spear.

Silver550, I plan on heading into the interior, I am not that big of a beach fan, and Sardinia has a sizable interior to explore. I might rent a Fiat and drive around or perhaps a scooter with at least a 150cc engine.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Haven't been but definitely on my list. Always wanted to do Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia in a trip.

Anyways, for historical stuff, see if you can't pick up a copy of the Blue Guide Southern Italy:

http://blueguides.com/plan-your-trip/italy/

You probably already know that they're the most nerdy, archaeology guide books on the market.

And give the Anthony Bourdain No Reservations episode on Sardinia a watch. There's goat roasted on a spit on an open fire that they then pour grease over to make even more delicious-looking.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:36 pm

No I did not know that about Blue Guide, so thank you for telling me.

And the three big islands are tempting.

Good ferry service from Sardo to Sicily too.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby AztecDave » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:55 am

I have not had the priviledge but a buddy of mine here in Germania "discovered" it after a "whim" cause he got a dirt cheap Ryan Air flight. Is now his fave place. Go just before or after high season. Is inexpensive, great weather and beaches, Euro chicks naked on the beach, and even better seafood. According to him, anyway.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Maladict » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Beaker culture tombs can be seen near Alghero. Nuraghi are all over the place, the most famous ones are near Barumini.
For Phoenician and Graeco-Roman stuff head to Tharros and Nora. Cagliari and Olbia preserve traces of pretty much all their earlier incarnations as well.
Maladict

Postby Kurt » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:28 am

I am flying to Nice tomorrow and should be in Corsica for a few days and then down to Sardinia. Then back to France and then onto England for a party.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe