Air Courier?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Air Courier?

Postby Roninphoto » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:32 am

Hi all,

Some years ago it was possible to fly cheaply by becoming an Air Courier. Does anyone know anything about this? Or, does anyone any tips on the cheapest way to travel?
Roninphoto

Re: Air Courier?

Postby coldharvest » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:03 am

Roninphoto wrote: does anyone any tips on the cheapest way to travel?

Astal Projection.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:50 am

I have heard about this since 1988.

I have never known anyone to actually do it.

Maybe some have, but I would wager it ranks somewhere between "really rare" and an "urban myth"
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:15 pm

I met a geezer doing this back in the early 90s in Copenhagen. He got a cheap trip from NYC or some where. Dunno if this is still doable tho.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:39 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:I met a geezer doing this back in the early 90s in Copenhagen. He got a cheap trip from NYC or some where. Dunno if this is still doable tho.

That is the thing...I "heard of people" who did it. One guy I met who told me about it later confessed that he did not do it but rather he "met someone" who did.

The other rumor was that in the mid 80's before Lockerbie that if you hung out near the pilots lounges you could get a ride on a jump seat of a cargo jet for prices ranging from free to cheap.

But that was supposedly only in the US and Canada.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby kilroy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:37 pm

when i was a bit younger and perennially broke i tried investigating this and every lead i found turned out to be a scam or out of date. in most cases freighting an object is cheaper than paying someone's airfare to lug it with them. i imagine there are exceptions in the case of very fragile/valuable objects, but certainly these would be entrusted to a professional rather than some bum who's only credentials is that they want a free/cheap trip.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:45 pm

kilroy wrote:when i was a bit younger and perennially broke i tried investigating this and every lead i found turned out to be a scam or out of date. in most cases freighting an object is cheaper than paying someone's airfare to lug it with them. i imagine there are exceptions in the case of very fragile/valuable objects, but certainly these would be entrusted to a professional rather than some bum who's only credentials is that they want a free/cheap trip.

That is not surprising about the scam angle. People who want to save money are often the easiest to rip off.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:52 pm

The fella I had met had given up his baggage allowance and had to carry his kit as carry on and the package he was taking went into the hold. I never bothered to look into it as I have no interest in week long vacations.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Return to Black Flag Cafe