How Did It All Get Started?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: How Did It All Get Started?

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:56 am

So I had a look on that Amazon link and saw The World's Most Dangerous Places: Professional Strength. When will that come out? Date says 2007 so its a bit late.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby vagabond » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:27 pm

coldharvest wrote:
Osiris wrote:Anyone know how RYP got started? His name is a byword for traveling to "place most Americans would freak out in". Just curious...

http://www.amazon.com/Adventurist-My-Life-Dangerous-Places/dp/0767905768

Plus the heavily sourced wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_young_pelton

I see now what that internship at Somalia Report entails
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:31 am

Wonder how often that wiki page gets fucked with considering the troll ilk that cruises through the bfc.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:06 am

What I used to call travel is now called a commute, my bug out bag now holds diapers, and I can't even get late night hammered and yell at the UNHCR people because they are my customers. I haven't even fired a shart in anger in months. The walls are closing in my friends even though technically my bar doesn't even have walls, trip out on that.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:08 am

technically my bar doesn't even have walls, trip out on that.

Eventually.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby marie-angelique » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:28 am

my grandparents all travelled. mom's parents would take off on long adventures into mexico in their dodge dart. dad's parents took cruises to europe.

my dad is a polyglot and had friends come over from all over the world come stay with us. he also gets invited to speak all over - of late; china, turkey, iran.

we travelled every summer and i got to do my first trip w/o the parents when i was 15 - an orchestra tour of the soviet union.

i decided to travel around the world on roller skates when i was about 6. ended up doing it on a bicycle instead, just a few years later - lol.
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby coldharvest » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:44 am

marie-angelique wrote:i decided to travel around the world on roller skates when i was about 6.

this is why I love you.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Kurt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:58 am

coldharvest wrote:
marie-angelique wrote:i decided to travel around the world on roller skates when i was about 6.

this is why I love you.

If anything she gives us too many reasons.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:41 am

About age four, I just wanted to see what was down the street and the street after that and the street after that...got a serious ass whippin' when my folks finally caught up with me...been checkin' out that next street ever since.
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:37 pm

Michael wrote:About age four, I just wanted to see what was down the street and the street after that and the street after that...got a serious ass whippin' when my folks finally caught up with me...been checkin' out that next street ever since.

I did something similar but I crossed the street and I was a bit younger. My mom still brings it up in her "I would have been arrested today if I did that to my children." speech. Apparently I was unable to sit for a long time and when I tell her "Its okay, it was dangerous to cross the street at that age and besides I don't remember it at all." She says "Of course you don't remember it, I beat you too hard." It was just on my ass but according to my mom it was so severe that the beating traveled up my butt and erased my memory.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Michael » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:08 am

Kurt wrote:
Michael wrote:About age four, I just wanted to see what was down the street and the street after that and the street after that...got a serious ass whippin' when my folks finally caught up with me...been checkin' out that next street ever since.

I did something similar but I crossed the street and I was a bit younger. My mom still brings it up in her "I would have been arrested today if I did that to my children." speech. Apparently I was unable to sit for a long time and when I tell her "Its okay, it was dangerous to cross the street at that age and besides I don't remember it at all." She says "Of course you don't remember it, I beat you too hard." It was just on my ass but according to my mom it was so severe that the beating traveled up my butt and erased my memory.

Did your mom know mine? Sounds like they might have swapped childrearing recipes.
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:17 am

Michael wrote:
Kurt wrote:

Did your mom know mine? Sounds like they might have swapped childrearing recipes.

Probably from the same era. The thing is they hardly ever spanked me. What they did was sentence me to my room to await the verdict on whether I would be spanked or not. Then they made me wait like I was on death row. I knew that physical punishment was something they were capable of doing so it was a very tense time alone in my room. Usually it was a lesser punishment, but not all the time. It was very effective.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Hitoru » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:17 am

nowonmai wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:That said, havin had the shits lotsa times it aint no giggling matter.

yes it is, that's nature's blessing.This requires worst shits ever stories:

- Africa - middle of nowhere in the bush, feverish, delerious for days, shitting through the eye of a needle (still managing the odd chuckle at the odd rip snorter even though death was close), shitting in a hole for hours on end on an incredible starry clear cold night while a pride of lions prowled and growled in the range of the head torch. So sick and ill that getting eaten by the lions seemed like a small thing and no effort was made to ward them off. I don't blame them for not eating me.

After drinking nearly a full bottle of amaretto solo while on guard duty . The next morning we were on the move, I had the worst hershey squirts, so I had to alternate running thru the 3+ foot snow and shitting or hanging my ass out the back door of our 113 and shitting while we were rolling .
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe