How Did It All Get Started?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: How Did It All Get Started?

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:17 am

nowonmai wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:That said, havin had the shits lotsa times it aint no giggling matter.

yes it is, that's nature's blessing.This requires worst shits ever stories:

- Africa - middle of nowhere in the bush, feverish, delerious for days, shitting through the eye of a needle (still managing the odd chuckle at the odd rip snorter even though death was close), shitting in a hole for hours on end on an incredible starry clear cold night while a pride of lions prowled and growled in the range of the head torch. So sick and ill that getting eaten by the lions seemed like a small thing and no effort was made to ward them off. I don't blame them for not eating me.

Sounds like my first time with malaria. No lions though as I was in Nairobi. That said, giggling whilst havin an ass explosion really does help get every last drop out.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:54 am

rickshaw92 wrote:Shits and giggles mate. Its all bout the shits and giggles.

Was going to a booze can down Collage and Dovercourt in Toronto at the time. I bet Mr. Harvest knew the place.

I think Mr. H. said he bounced at Lees Palace at one time not too far away. The only part of College I remember from living there is the part with the hot chicks, stupid ginos and expensive suds. Whereabouts did you live?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:55 am

nowonmai wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:That said, havin had the shits lotsa times it aint no giggling matter.

yes it is, that's nature's blessing.This requires worst shits ever stories:

- Africa - middle of nowhere in the bush, feverish, delerious for days, shitting through the eye of a needle (still managing the odd chuckle at the odd rip snorter even though death was close), shitting in a hole for hours on end on an incredible starry clear cold night while a pride of lions prowled and growled in the range of the head torch. So sick and ill that getting eaten by the lions seemed like a small thing and no effort was made to ward them off. I don't blame them for not eating me.

Almost died in El Salvador. Nothing says fun like the giant bugs in the outhouse chewing your ass into raw hamburger, losing 25 lbs and being hospitalized for three days. I'm pretty sure I tried to break down crying but was so dehydrated at that point that I couldn't. I still have the picture of me giving two thumbs up in the hospital where I look like death - eyes sunken in, skull practically visible under the skin. With most people that's the ultimate travel story, but with yall its just kind of expected.

New BFC rite of passage - a traumitizingly hilarious travel sickness story?
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:05 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:Shits and giggles mate. Its all bout the shits and giggles.

Was going to a booze can down Collage and Dovercourt in Toronto at the time. I bet Mr. Harvest knew the place.

I think Mr. H. said he bounced at Lees Palace at one time not too far away. The only part of College I remember from living there is the part with the hot chicks, stupid ginos and expensive suds. Whereabouts did you live?

The H man once said he worked a few shifts at the Gasworks, I was a reg there from my 19th till close, even when it got all poncy. He also once posted that he worked door at the Zanz and I almost tripped over some poor twat being ejected from there while I was running with a full shaw as the person was being tossed into the street. The booze can I am on about was a biker place, Choice and PDR if memory serves. When the Gasworks closed we would all simply head down Collage and Dovercourt for coke and beer. Havent met Cold as of yet but it seems we mixed with the same crowd. We have both gotten inked by the same dude and I have drank in a place he worked. Small world.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:48 pm

When I was about 8 or 9 I started reading books about other parts of the world. Did a lot of travel in my youth through sports. I was a fairly good athlete and competed at the international level in track at one point. My first big trip was Paris when I was 17 and the travel bug bit.

Though only now am I really dedicating a good chunk of my life to travel.
Sri Lanky

Postby kilroy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:02 pm

ktrout wrote:
Kurt wrote:so I moved to Bulgaria.

Just curious, what were you thinking?

of all the bulgarians i've met so far, almost all the dudes were cool as shit and almost all the babes were hot as hell. may not have been a very representative sample, but that and the black sea is enough to get me wanting to go there. can't say i'd be questioning anyone else's motives to head there either.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:29 am

ktrout wrote:

I wanted to live in Europe and I could not afford "regular Europe" so I decided to move there.

It met the criteria I had at the time of an Ocean and mountains plus some other dumb reasons I had at the time.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:14 pm

True dat. Met a couple of Bulgars in Havana and yes,they were cool as shit,even though they liked to pound 15 year-old girls. But hey,maybe it's a cultural thing.
Sri Lanky

Postby vagabond » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:46 pm

kilroy wrote:
ktrout wrote:

of all the bulgarians i've met so far, almost all the dudes were cool as shit and almost all the babes were hot as hell. may not have been a very representative sample, but that and the black sea is enough to get me wanting to go there. can't say i'd be questioning anyone else's motives to head there either.

Ditto that. Spent time traveling around there in '05 and loved the place. Sofia was an awesome city. Really hoping to get back there sometime soon.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:35 am

I travelled the world in my head before I was twelve. H Rider Haggard, RL Stevenson and atlases were my preferred reads, maps and the Boy Scouts fed my desire for adventure and the exotic.

Joining up was a natural progression because I wasn't a trustafarian who could bum around at Daddy's expense.

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:05 am

atlases were my preferred reads

Maps are fuckin cool.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby vagabond » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:51 pm

flipflop wrote:I travelled the world in my head before I was twelve. H Rider Haggard, RL Stevenson and atlases were my preferred reads, maps and the Boy Scouts fed my desire for adventure and the exotic.

I wonder if a young obsession w/ maps is a common thread as I was pretty much the same way.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby LechoZX » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 pm

vagabond wrote:
flipflop wrote:I travelled the world in my head before I was twelve. H Rider Haggard, RL Stevenson and atlases were my preferred reads, maps and the Boy Scouts fed my desire for adventure and the exotic.

I wonder if a young obsession w/ maps is a common thread as I was pretty much the same way.

Yep for me. I used to study the Rand McNally World Atlas when I was little to find interesting looking places and wonder what was there. Practically every book I read was non-fiction, science fiction, or historical fiction. I still love and collect maps.

I was able to take a few interesting road trips in the US with my parents, but we never went on any big vacations. I had never been out of the country until college. I was 20yrs old and had the opportunity to live and study in Germany for a year. I didn't know German language or culture at all but I knew it was chance to do something I had always wanted to do. After the first few days of feeling a bit overwhelmed, I knew it was the best decision I ever made, and I would always want to travel. Still the best year of my life.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:41 am

Anyone know how RYP got started? His name is a byword for traveling to "place most Americans would freak out in". Just curious...
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:08 am

Osiris wrote:Anyone know how RYP got started? His name is a byword for traveling to "place most Americans would freak out in". Just curious...

http://www.amazon.com/Adventurist-My-Life-Dangerous-Places/dp/0767905768
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe