Travel in southeastern Turkey - Syrian border

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Travel in southeastern Turkey - Syrian border

Postby Maarten » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have any good information about traveling in Southeastern Turkey?
I'll be going to southeastern Turkey in a couple of weeks for work, and I plan to visit the syrian refugees near the turkish-syrian border. Another option is trying to get as close as possible to the area where the Turkish army is currently fighting the Kurdish rebels. Any tips about travel, safety etc in those areas will be much appreciated!
Maarten

Re: Travel in southeastern Turkey - Syrian border

Postby vagabond » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:33 am

Nothing related to on the ground practicals but would recommend reading William Dalrymple's "To the Holy Mountain". He spends a good deal of time in the region but speaks mostly about the shared history and practices of the ancient Christians and Muslims in the areas and traditions that are dwindling as he travels around. Might be a good read on long bus rides in the area.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Ring up a few of the NGOs and local/international journos and get the latest from them and don't say anything stupid that will have them hanging up the phone. It was, by all accounts, kind of tricky getting close to the Syrian refugees on the Turkish side a few months ago. The Turks were sensitive about international access and with winter well on its way, may be even more sensitive. Expect lots of checkpoints and even more aggro the closer you get to the camps.

Rule of thumb #1: all border areas are dodgy. Never forget that, unless you are looking for an adventure in somewhere like Iran, like those kids recently. Btw, the advances for books about 'I was held against my will and thought I was going to die' are minuscule, if you get one at all, so don't think it will be enough to pay back your friends who re-mortgaged/sold their homes to pay for your ransom. House prices are cheap as chips everywhere, so you better have a lot of friends, preferably with second homes in Beverly Hills.

I wouldn't want to mess around in areas where there is a lot of PKK/Turkish army action. The Turkish army grunts who are tasked with spanking the PKK aren't the most easy going. They have a history of going to town on anyone they suspect of even the slightest PKK sympathies and they won't care where you come from. Oh, and bring warm clothes. Early winter, so lots of rain, sleet/snow and skin-ripping winds. Mud+blood = no one is full of the joys of spring.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby AztecDave » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:27 am

Maarten wrote:Hi all,

I'll be going to southeastern Turkey in a couple of weeks for work, and I plan to visit the syrian refugees near the turkish-syrian border. Another option is trying to get as close as possible to the area where the Turkish army is currently fighting the Kurdish rebels. Any tips about travel, safety etc in those areas will be much appreciated!

Sounds like a good place to go and killed at.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:48 am

AztecDave wrote:
Maarten wrote:Hi all,

Sounds like a good place to go and killed at.

Nobody likes a killjoy!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby vagabond » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:25 pm

rick, what's the details on your recent Syria trip? How'd it go, how many rubber bullets hit you, etc?
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:13 am

vagabond wrote:rick, what's the details on your recent Syria trip? How'd it go, how many rubber bullets hit you, etc?

I had fun. Alleppo and Damascus were normal in the centre and I took in a pro Assad rally in each. Hama was under seige wuth sand bagged bunker type things all round town, some with colourful patio umbrellas. Lots of hot babes and the food was so good that I could always fart with confidence. Pics up by Monday.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby vagabond » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:57 am

rickshaw92 wrote:
vagabond wrote:rick, what's the details on your recent Syria trip? How'd it go, how many rubber bullets hit you, etc?

I had fun. Alleppo and Damascus were normal in the centre and I took in a pro Assad rally in each. Hama was under seige wuth sand bagged bunker type things all round town, some with colourful patio umbrellas. Lots of hot babes and the food was so good that I could always fart with confidence. Pics up by Monday.

Nice, looking forward to it.

No trouble getting visas?

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:22 am

It took 3 days, cost £32 and a copy of my bank statement. Best of all it even says Rickshaw Driver under the occupation part.

rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby vagabond » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:14 am

rickshaw92 wrote:It took 3 days, cost £32 and a copy of my bank statement. Best of all it even says Rickshaw Driver under the occupation part.

That's not too bad if a little pricey. Odd about the bank statement though.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Maarten » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys, great advice on the getting-caught-and-writing-a-book-to-pay-the-mortgage. That one was a true eyeopener, almost made that mistake. :)
Decided to head to Hatay, border between Syria and Turkey. Anyone with specific information on that area? Thanks everyone, really appreciate the tips/advice/jokes.

p.s. cool visa, rickshaw driver.
Maarten

Postby vagabond » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Maarten wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys, great advice on the getting-caught-and-writing-a-book-to-pay-the-mortgage. That one was a true eyeopener, almost made that mistake. :)
Decided to head to Hatay, border between Syria and Turkey. Anyone with specific information on that area? Thanks everyone, really appreciate the tips/advice/jokes.

p.s. cool visa, rickshaw driver.

Be safe and play it by ear as it's all a fluid situation. If it seems dodgy or you get an uneasy gut feeling, walk away. Asking lots of questions will always get you more closely watched than just a normal tourist so try and stay in the background as much as possible.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:48 pm

When you get there ask to see your company "fixer" and ask him

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus