New Book for BFC travelers

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

New Book for BFC travelers

Postby vagabond » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:32 am

Because it's not a DP until you've pissed someone off:

The book: Rude Hand Gestures of the World: A Guide to Offending without Words

Examples: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1665468/a-handbook-for-flipping-the-bird-all-over-the-world#1

Traveling to a place where you don't know the language? No problem. Here's a foolproof guide to causing offense without consulting Berlitz.
We New Yorkers are accustomed to risking life and limb to cross the street, but sometimes the offense of getting cut off by a wayward taxi is enough to turn even the most mild-mannered among us into bird-flipping maniacs. But given such a scenario, what would be the appropriate gestural response in, say, Paris, Beirut, or Mumbai? Let Rude Hand Gestures of the World, a new book by Romana Lefevre, be your guide for those situations when words fall short.

Here, we present a sample from the book’s 50 examples, ranging from ways to curse out a perfect stranger to expressing sexual interest. A word of advice: If unsure of which gesture to use, the safest diplomatic approach may be to avoid communicating with your hands altogether, as meanings aren’t universal: The seemingly benign sign for OK (thumb and index finger forming an “O” with the other digits splayed), for instance, isn’t a sign of approval in such nations as Greece, Italy, Paraguay, and Turkey, where it refers to a delicate orifice--exactly which one depends on the region. So on that note, enjoy!
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Re: New Book for BFC travelers

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:58 pm

In which country does the "ok" sign indicate sexual interest?
I have a hunch it's Greece.
Sri Lanky

Postby vagabond » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:46 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:In which country does the "ok" sign indicate sexual interest?
I have a hunch it's Greece.

I've heard quite a few actually - Italy, Brazil, etc...so maybe it's a Mediterranean/Latinate culture thing?
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:10 pm

From my testing "The Bird" is universal

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Noooooo!!! Not gonna get it. I'll read it, get wasted, then go round flipping people off at every opportunity.
Not gonna happen. Paying off all the fines for drunk & disorderly would have bought me a library by now.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby vagabond » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:02 pm

Mikethehack wrote:Noooooo!!! Not gonna get it. I'll read it, get wasted, then go round flipping people off at every opportunity.
Not gonna happen. Paying off all the fines for drunk & disorderly would have bought me a library by now.

This was actually my not-so-subtle way of making that happen.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe