Colombia/Venezuela March 4-25

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Colombia/Venezuela March 4-25

Postby friendlyskies » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:41 pm

LOCOMBIA AND HUGOLANDIA, BITCHES!!!!

Sorry. I'm a little excited. I got really high last night, pressed "buy," and now I'm going from Bogota to Caracas in March!!!!! Hot. Wet. Cheap. Dangerous. Sexy. With fresh-squeezed orange juice. Anyway, I'm sure I'll be working (mainly staying in foncy five-star hotels, yay), which means this schedule is up for a change, but hypothetically:

Bogota-Piera-Medellin-Cartagena-Santa Marta-Mirabao-Merida-Caracas

Any suggestions? Will anyone be around? Should I make the effort to go to Angel Falls or Trinidad/Tobago or anything like that? I'm thinking about Ciudad Perdida, but that's six days in the woods and I'm kind of more interested in the urban jungle. But then, I always end up changing my return flight anyway. Hmmm. Alternately, if anyone needs to sublet an apartment in Atlanta during March, I've got you covered for, oh, $300 for the month for anyone who is also a facebook friend, or who I've met in person. I have a 7ft poster of Lenin and a library that would get me sent to a reeducation camp in any self-respecting police state that has ever existed. Make March magical next year. It might be our last year! Travel.

EDIT: I'm especially interested in hot springs! I know about the spas and stuff in Piera, and of course the mud volcano outside Cartagena (fucking love that place), but if you know of any wild or less well known hot springs that are fairly easy to visit, let me know - PM me if you don't want the info posted publicly.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Re: Colombia/Venezuela March 4-25

Postby Kurt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Bogota is not hot and wet.

I love that place though. I can give you a weather forcast for your trip. It will partly sunny with a high of 76 degrees. The night will be 56 degrees.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:25 pm

That sounds awesome and during a great time of the year to get the hell out of here.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:41 pm

I've been to Trinidad but it was about 24 years ago or so.
The men are like hyenas or wolves whichever you prefer....very aggressive.
I went down there with a former girlfriend who was half German half Trinnie.
We would tell the guys hitting on her that we were brother and sister...that we had different fathers...or mothers,I can't remember.
It would freak them out a bit but then Trinidad is supposed to be the "rainbow nation".
Maybe Obama will fucking retire there.
Sri Lanky

Postby Kurt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:I've been to Trinidad but it was about 24 years ago or so.
The men are like hyenas or wolves whichever you prefer....very aggressive.
I went down there with a former girlfriend who was half German half Trinnie.
We would tell the guys hitting on her that we were brother and sister...that we had different fathers...or mothers,I can't remember.
It would freak them out a bit but then Trinidad is supposed to be the "rainbow nation".
Maybe Obama will fucking retire there.

The ones I know in NYC are either complete and total ladies and gentlemen...like so old school that it does not really exist in England and the USA anymore. Any woman walking with a proper Trinny gent would be protected from comments with the offender possibly being beaten by a walking stick (never actually saw a walking stick but they seemed like they really wanted to have them)

Or they are as you described. Of the drink and chase variety.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Yes...it seems to be the same with most cultures. I'm generalizing.
I found however that the Indian Trinnies were a bit more civil than the Afro types but again...I'm generalizing.
There is a class distinction between the two.
My ex-girlfriends family were Afro-Caribbean and her uncle worked in Immigration...he was insane.
Figures that he'd work for the government. They were very well off.

My girlfriend's other side of the family were farmers from Weyburn,Saskatchewan...but that is another story.
Sri Lanky

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:55 am

Woodsman wrote:That sounds awesome and during a great time of the year to get the hell out of here.

+1. Don't forget pics.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby friendlyskies » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:11 am

Huh. I had a really good friend from Trinidad/Tobago for several years, he and all his pals were always cool. Maybe a little bit of the machismo, but not so bad. Anyway, I will take pics! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Yeah they were cool because they didn't want to fuck your girlfriend....or maybe they did.
Sri Lanky

Postby lavaina » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Hot springs near Popayan in south west of Colombia. Maybe it is not safe there still.
lavaina
mach

Postby Athena » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Canaima is a pretty cool little spot, and a dugout canoe trip and hike up to the falls is a day well spent.
Athena
BFCus Regularus

Postby rdkll » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:07 am

allright, let's see...

here's canaima

that's merida

and finally caracas

now that you've seen it all you can spend more time in colombia . unless you change your yanquí dolares on the black market only and/or use tampons or blackberries as hard currency.
rdkll
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:43 am

Man, I won't be getting down to Popoyan this time. And last time I was there I didn't even know they HAD hot spring grrrrr..... lovely city though, harmonious white architecture and beautiful setting.

And rdkll, thanks for the photos, Canaima has some bitching falls, holy shit.... but I can skip Venezuela now.... OH WAIT. I have to go there to get my flight home. Just tell me where the hot springs are and a good beach town :D. Penta gave me some awesome info on Facebook since she's still banned here, so yay.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby rdkll » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:05 am

Tabay near Mérida or
San Juan de los Morros. it would be more or less on your way to ccs. boring but tidy small town in a beautiful setting.

choroni for the beaches?
rdkll
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:54 am

$300 for 3 weeks snide subletting? In Atlanta?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe