Slim chance Havana.....with a catch.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Slim chance Havana.....with a catch.

Postby Royal » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:47 pm

There's a slim chance of taking my first trip to Havana in Jan 2012, IF I have the time........here's the catch.

Call me mad but I'm thinking of taking a Japanese GF with me.
I want a REAL hotel, old charm, not plastic resort style, but she's not a rucksack, roughing it type (even Jing-jocks freak her out) so it needs to be a bit nicer.(Clean-safe etc)

I should leave her in Nippon shouldn't I.
Don't send a card.......tell I'm working elsewhere?

Anyway. Any FIRST HAND hotel & hangout tips most welcome.

Thanks.
Oh.....Happy Christmas guys & gals.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Re: Slim chance Havana.....with a catch.

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Been to Cuba once. Rum was bitchen but the smokes were raunchy.The place was full of middle aged Canadians talkin shit bout America. I went to a cheesy all you can drink for a week resort though.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Royal » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Yeah. Thanks mate.
It's probably leave her behind or take her to a resort.

Maybe I stay at a Havana hotel a week or two them get her to arrive & stay at a resort.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:07 am

Royal wrote:I should leave her in Nippon shouldn't I.

Why? Your hand will get tired.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:20 am

go to the ambos mundos and imagine yer hemingway.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Royal » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:25 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:
Royal wrote:I should leave her in Nippon shouldn't I.

Why? Your hand will get tired.

I normally get the assistance of the local women to prevent arm ache.
Do you know something about Cuban spunk-bags that I don't?
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Royal » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:35 am

AztecDave wrote:go to the ambos mundos and imagine yer hemingway.

Yeah. Cheers.
Looked at it on the magic box....you stayed there Dave?
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby gnaruki » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Royal wrote:Maybe I stay at a Havana hotel a week or two them get her to arrive & stay at a resort.

Not a bad idea. Varadero is a nice resort style spot with a variety of hotel options. After some time about in Havana you could easily meet your girl at the airport and take a pre-arranged private transfer to resort-o-relaxo land. Gotta have some Cristal beer, classy!

EDIT: Don't worry, Varadero is very safe. The patrol boats and soldiers on the rooftops are prepared for the imminent Bay of Pigs II
Last edited by gnaruki on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:46 pm

I can't remember which hotel I stayed at but I spent 2 weeks in Havana. I blew my wad the first week...literally. The first night I ventured into a barrio and indulged in cocaine,rum,and got the lowdown on "the life" in Cuba. A 21 year-old woman was offered to me but she looked scared so I declined. There were "women" at my hotel however but you had to pay security to shut off the cameras...don't know if they bothered. The last week was spent watching panels of Marxists on TV berating American policy. They made some sense actually. And yes,rickshaw,the Canadians were obnoxiously anti-American.
I basically stayed to myself.

Very safe in comparison to other Caribbean destinations. I'd stick to Veradero if I was bringing a girlfriend or wife.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:13 pm

When I was slightly more of an idiot than I am now....maybe:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26650
Sri Lanky

Postby Royal » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks fellas.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Royal » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Got there. Feb-Mar.
In hindsight would have liked to have been able to stay longer on my own in Havana.

Many waiters are guys in their 30's plus & most look like security/secret service guys waiting for a contract.
All I spoke to were cool & ok.
I liked the Cubans I met.
Would like to return to Havana alone but I very rarely have my watch minus zulu, so it will probably never happen.

Two nights at Hotel Nacional De Cuba
One night at Hotel Inglaterra.

Didn't stay The Hotel Amos Mundos as it is in, what is now a shit location. It overlooks a very narrow street selling tack to tourists. Not a lot of that in Havana tough.

On forth day collected a gf at airport & stayed in Hotel Parque Central. Spitting distance from the
Hotel Inglaterra.

Took a puddle hopper to a beach resort. All plastic apart from a lot of palm trees. Real trees, thank fuck.
Would have been bored out of my skull at the resort if I didn't have sex on tap.

As you said Rickshaw, loads of Canadians & at the resort proud to let the world know via their caps & t shirts.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby AztecDave » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:14 am

gnaruki wrote:
Royal wrote:Maybe I stay at a Havana hotel a week or two them get her to arrive & stay at a resort.

Not a bad idea. Varadero is a nice resort style spot with a variety of hotel options. After some time about in Havana you could easily meet your girl at the airport and take a pre-arranged private transfer to resort-o-relaxo land. Gotta have some Cristal beer, classy!

EDIT: Don't worry, Varadero is very safe. The patrol boats and soldiers on the rooftops are prepared for the imminent Bay of Pigs II

aah, good ole paranoia. bahia de los cochones was a million yrs ago, but it still keeps wind in el commandante's and his cronie's sails.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Roland » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:15 pm

I know its not first hand, but I actually had a good friend who visited Cuba recently. Said it was awesome. He got to see some local ritual where this guy bit the tongue out of a live chicken. He said it wasn't exactly Santería. I'll make sure to ask him next time I see him.

Good luck man!
I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.
Roland

Return to Black Flag Cafe