S. Korea in a day?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

S. Korea in a day?

Postby bearanddragon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:06 am

Somehow, I have an epic 12 hour layover there next week. I'm thinking of hopping a bus to Seoul from the airport. But wondering if anyone had some recent experience there and could recommend one or two things to do, full-tourist-mode.
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Re: S. Korea in a day?

Postby coldharvest » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:52 am

bearanddragon wrote:Somehow, I have an epic 12 hour layover there next week. I'm thinking of hopping a bus to Seoul from the airport. But wondering if anyone had some recent experience there and could recommend one or two things to do, full-tourist-mode.

pm kilroy
he's our go to guy on all things South Korean
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby cjpurcell » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Depending on what time you get in, it might be quicker to get a bus from Incheon to Gimpo Airport and then get the underground to the centre of the city. Seoul is a great city - but 12 hours is cutting it fine - make sure to get a feed of galbi somewhere. Best subway map by far as it gives timings between all the stations: http://www.smrt.co.kr/main/index/index002.jsp
cjpurcell

Postby kilroy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:04 pm

sorry, i just saw this. you're probably already done with it, but here goes for next time or for the next person in a similar situation.

you'll burn a couple hours each way going to/from the airport. full tourist mode? depending on what time your layover is for, you could get a Panmunjom tour, they'll take you to the JSA, a watchpost, and the infiltration tunnels. do the USO version - http://affiliates.uso.org/Korea/default ... tentid=347

they also do city tours and a folk village tour. the skyline boat tour might be kinda interesting if you dig architecture, i found most korean buildings to be kinda bland though. skip insadong, it's just a tourist infested market with half the shops carrying the same tchotchkes as each other. i'd suggest dongdaemoon for clothes shopping and yongsa for electronics.

the palace is kinda cool too but it's just a reconstruction of the one the japs burned down when they annexed the country (same goes for pretty much any histcorical building except the buddhist monasteries). however it is also right next to current seat of the SK gov't, the blue house. the buddhist temples are the originals for the most part though. there are 4 big ones in the seoul area. bongwonsa temple has ceremonies and performances on the 1st and 3rd weekends of the month, and jogyesa is where the lantern festival is held to celebrate buddha's birthday.

CJ is right, the korean bbq is probably the only cuisine that's worth writing home about. The live octopus is a cool little delicacy, but you won't get any that's decent in seoul, gotta head down south to busan for that.

that should probably get you through 12 hours if you just wanna do some touristy stuff.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe