One Day In Florida

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

One Day In Florida

Postby Osiris » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:31 am

Heading to Florida in a week and a half fir some grad school interviews. Anyone know a great way to spend the day there? I will basically have some time free in St Petersburg and an evening/morning in Miama.

Never been there. Not looking to spend a fortune, just wanna do some awesome stuff.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Re: One Day In Florida

Postby AztecDave » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:05 pm

key west if you can. a guy can have alot of fun there.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:56 pm

AztecDave wrote:key west if you can. a gay can have alot of fun there.

FTFY
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:24 am

nowonmai wrote:

FTFY

didn't need to be fixed. do me a favor and don't do me any favors. btw: keep thinking that it's nuthin but gays. i spent a year in kw and laid more pipe with tourist chicks looking for their caribbean fix there than anywhere else.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Cruiser » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Went to Key West several years ago, drove down from Canada here, that was the only crappy part, I was there for New Years and that was a shock to the system. Up here for New Years you go to a house party or something, it's too damned cold to party outside, in Key West it was packed shoulder to should and the everyone was drinking and partying it up. I really enjoyed the place and would go back again. There is a larger than normal gay community but there are a crap load of drop dead gorgeous girls too, plus I am not homophobic so I never had any issue. There are a lot of inns and bed and breakfasts to stay in, and the scenery (nature as well as the fairer sex) is great. If you have a chance to check it out I say go for it. First time I ever went para-sailing was there that was a blast because you can see across the whole island when you are up there.
"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor" ~English Proverb

~Cruiser~
Orillia,Ontario
www.CanadianBackyard.com
Cruiser

Postby Athena » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:31 pm

For Miami:

If you have money to burn and are a carnivore, dinner at Prime One Twelve could be fun. They serve house-made bacon as a bar snack, and celebs and their amazing cars coming and going are a sight to see if you fancy sports cars. The Shelborne has been under major construction, so you maybe could book a hotel, beach front, in the deco district for around a hundred bucks, but you'd get nothing but a room. If the weather is less than perfect, head to the point at 30th Street in Miami Beach and check out the kite surfing in the morning. It is a cool City on the beach if you enjoy that kind of thing.
Athena
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:41 pm

I have a broad array of ideas on how to best enjoy florida in one day, but since its such a long peninsula, anything you do there is going to take some drive time unless you got wings or a rotor.

The first thing that comes to mind is fishing.

Fishing is awesome in much (not all) of Florida.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:00 pm

I'm off tomorrow! I'll post pics of this insane adventure upon my return! Thanks for the suggestions yo, I'll try and see what I can squeeze in while I'm down there.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:15 am

AztecDave wrote:
nowonmai wrote:

FTFY

didn't need to be fixed. do me a favor and don't do me any favors. btw: keep thinking that it's nuthin but gays. i spent a year in kw and laid more pipe with tourist chicks looking for their caribbean fix there than anywhere else.

You aren't doing yourself any favors either Mr. "Laid more pipe with..blah blah blah" Who talks like that anymore? Are you 14 and in a group home in Norman, Oklahoma?
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:16 am

Shit I better moderate myself. I'll get right on it after I "grout the shower" with some Aussie backpacker chicks who just rolled into town.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:21 pm

It was a great bite wasn't it.

Key West = Gaytown.

End of.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:13 pm

The trip went pretty well. I had never been to Florida, so it was quite the adventure.
Miami Beach and St Petersburg were both pretty cool.
Our hotel in Miami Beach sucked, however. Seriously the worst place I have ever stayed in. I'm glad I didn't read the reviews online before I went or I would have opted to sleep in the car.
It's 2012, Geneva Hotel. Why do you not have hot water? Why is this apparently a recurring issue?

The rest of the trip was amazing. I hope I get to go back. The full story with pictures can be found on my blog at http://coolbyintent.com/miami
Here's a preview with a picture of what sunburn looks like:
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:22 pm

I like Key West. If you afraid of the gay, then you won't like it. For the rest of us who don't give a shit, it's nice. You can watch drag shows where the female impersonators are actually talented and actually sing, instead of lip-synching like most drag shows. Sadly, Alice Weingarten, owner of Alice's Restaurant, has closed up shop. Her food was awesome.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 pm

shivers wrote:I like Key West. If you afraid of the gay, then you won't like it. For the rest of us who don't give a shit, it's nice. You can watch drag shows where the female impersonators are actually talented and actually sing, instead of lip-synching like most drag shows.

Like I said, gaytown. Fact Mr Pipe Inserter.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:17 am

I was in Miami Beach on Wednesday on the way back from Ecuador after being screwed by Air Canada.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe