Bangalore India

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Bangalore India

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Another good thing bout Indian food is the nice fresh naan bread that comes with your meal Great stuff for lining your gut before a bit of boozin.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby flipflop » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Can you pick me up a local torpedo when you go there?

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:12 pm

flipflop wrote:Can you pick me up a local torpedo when you go there?

Cheers

Holy shit, I forgot about those. But the top of the line Torpedos are apparently made in Poole by Mondial, so you will be in a better position to get one than I will.

As a kid I really wanted one because I heard they could blast away barbed wire and one "job" I had was to take a nest of old barbed wire and clear it off a rock pile so my great-uncles grandkids would not shred themselves getting into it.

I had to cut foot long strips of rusty wire and put them into a wheelbarrow. It had previously been used to cover 20 acres of cow pasture, so it was alot of tangled wire. What a crap job for a 13 year old.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Kurt wrote:
flipflop wrote:Can you pick me up a local torpedo when you go there?

Cheers

Holy shit, I forgot about those. But the top of the line Torpedos are apparently made in Poole by Mondial, so you will be in a better position to get one than I will.

As a kid I really wanted one because I heard they could blast away barbed wire and one "job" I had was to take a nest of old barbed wire and clear it off a rock pile so my great-uncles grandkids would not shred themselves getting into it.

I had to cut foot long strips of rusty wire and put them into a wheelbarrow. It had previously been used to cover 20 acres of cow pasture, so it was alot of tangled wire. What a crap job for a 13 year old.

Ha, now it all makes sense. I thought he was either talking about hash or a long turd.

I think the first time heard about that was when I was a kid and saw The Big Red One. Pretty neat device.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:56 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:
JITW wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:
or their nasty chow

India is a good place for eatin.

I have never really had a taste for Injin curry - But I do like Thai, Malaysian and Indo curry

~JITW

It ain't just curry dude. They gots all kinds of good food. Tandori cooked meat is awesome.

Ya got me there - Lamb Tandori is nice

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:09 pm

back when I could eat curry I always prefered the Thai, but some African friends of mine in college would make a potato curry that they ate with corn meal that was really simple food but their spice combo made it amazing.

The one thing I really miss from Indian food is cooking with "garlic pickle". It stinks to high heaven but makes everything better.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ktrout » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Kurt wrote:One big, big problem is I am allergic to "curry", most likely cardamon and big doses of tumeric seem to set my face alight with pimples like an awkward teenager

I'm sorry for you. I love Indian and Central Asian food in general.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:03 am

ktrout wrote:
Kurt wrote:One big, big problem is I am allergic to "curry", most likely cardamon and big doses of tumeric seem to set my face alight with pimples like an awkward teenager

Its a bitch and a half even in NYC. Since I work in computers and there are so many folks from the subcontinent in my profession almost all of my work parties were curry based. They would ask if anyone had food prohibitions and Kosher Jews would get their own stuff catered to the place, The rest of the meat was halal for the Bangladeshis and Pakistanis and half was vegetarian for the Hindus and then the rest of us were just expected to make do with all of that.

For my prohibition I said "I am allergic to curry" and it met with blank stares and then they said "I am sure you can find something you can eat" and then I ate Naan and drank beer. One year I rallied the Europeans to pick French or Northern Italian. The Jews were cool with it since they got Kosher stuff catered to them anyway but the Sub-continent folks were not at all happy. Try to explain vegetarian Cassoulet to a Hindu...you cannot. To them it is a pile of beans with a mystery spice called "thyme" and they want nothing to do with it. Plus the chefs there did not quite get the "no pork" idea, so there was Prosciuto on everything but the veggie dishes and the Muzzies wanted halal chicken and lamb. So we went back to the policy of having me starve because it was simpler.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:55 am

One other thing to watch out for if you weren't already aware: masala chai, which is delicious and wonderful, has cardamom in it so if you're actually allergic to it then definitely don't order or have someone order it for you. Black tea should be ok but it's possible if you order tea they might serve a non-milky black tea with cardamom. So yeah, stick to Tuborg if you head over.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:29 am

vagabond wrote:So yeah, stick to Tuborg if you head over.

Or Kingfisher Strong, Knock Out, Haywards 5000, Cannon 10 000. There is quite a list!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:38 pm

ktrout wrote:

Same here, but I notice that recently I've been having the occasional problem with my face getting splotchy for a few hours after I eat, and it begins to happen during the meal. I'm not happy, as I eat Indian or Pakistani food at least twice a week.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:35 am

Chimborazo wrote:
ktrout wrote:

Same here, but I notice that recently I've been having the occasional problem with my face getting splotchy for a few hours after I eat, and it begins to happen during the meal. I'm not happy, as I eat Indian or Pakistani food at least twice a week.

That is how mine started, and I continued my level of eating too and when it moved to two days feeling "under the weather" followed by "explosive cysts" (as in hit the mirror zits of the teenage years but while making an audible "crack" ) then that was when I had to quit.

I advise cutting down, and making sure you get rid of fake food coloring too as I got both allergies at the same time....and I love the fruity Life Savers. Nothing cures subway stink like a grape Life Saver but now I just gotta do boring Pep-O-Mint.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe