Mogadishu, Somalia

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Mogadishu, Somalia

Postby nowonmai » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:30 pm

vagabond wrote:
Ultra Swain wrote:I stayed at Bashir's Peace Hotel. Its the priciest, most secure and well run place there. Good opportunity to schmooze since you are stuck in the hotel from about 4:30pm to 7am and there is no bar.

But it is 1000-1500 a day and the rooms are crap.

Shitholes are expensive

cuz the flies usually have expense accounts.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:33 pm

White people pay more.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby travel2012 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:52 am

Hey Swain, when was the time you were staying Bashir"s peace Hotel? you don't need to tell the exact date, but what I mean is this year or last year or which year? which neighborhood or area, and what is the currency (1000 -1500)? It is a local or it's USD?

Ultra Swain wrote:I stayed at Bashir's Peace Hotel. Its the priciest, most secure and well run place there. Good opportunity to schmooze since you are stuck in the hotel from about 4:30pm to 7am and there is no bar.

travel2012
mach

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:49 am

travel2012 wrote:Hey Swain, when was the time you were staying Bashir"s peace Hotel? you don't need to tell the exact date, but what I mean is this year or last year or which year? which neighborhood or area, and what is the currency (1000 -1500)? It is a local or it's USD?

I was there a few weeks ago, and the price is dollars. You can try and negotiate a better rate with Bashir, but you would have to make security arrangements with whoever you are going with or meeting. But don't expect to go exploring Mog much. It's mostly get out get your shots, interviews, meetings done the haul ass back to the car then the compound. Longest stops anyplace in the open are just a few minutes. If you dont have a reason to go or a shit ton of cash then don't expect to see or do too much.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby gnaruki » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:12 am

You get what you put in. No free lunches. I was told about this author guy that owns the joint through a friend after talking about some of my solo travel adventures in very tame areas. That was four years ago. I'm just out of T-ball and moving up a little ways at a time. I don't have the $$$$$ to blow and go big time adventure now unless I want to go broke.

Do you have experience in very hostile environments? Have you ever camped out in a wrecked structure? Do you know how to say pleas and thank you?

Those might sound stupid and insulting to you but you need to understand your own risk and rewards before going off on some hare-brained scheme. Even if it is a personal sabbatical.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Travelbug » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Somalia: Turkish Airlines begins flights to Mogadishu

The first major commercial airline in more than 20 years has landed at Mogadishu airport in war-torn Somalia.

Turkish Airlines says it is the start of a regular service to the Somali capital, the first by an international carrier from outside East Africa.

Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bosdag was on board the flight, which was welcomed by the Somali president.

The twice-weekly flights should make travel easier for Somali businessmen and members of the large diaspora.

Somalia has not had a functioning central government for more than two decades and has been riven by factional fighting.

Islamist militants were pushed out of the capital by Africa Union and government forces last August - although they have continued to stage attacks in the city.

Singing and dancing

The BBC's Mohamed Dhore in Mogadishu says security was tight and the main roads leading to the airport were blocked off ahead of the flight.

Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote
We are quite happy to see that normalcy is returning”
End Quote Mogadishu resident•Turkey - Somalia aid pioneers?

The plane was greeted by a large Somali government delegation, including President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, as well as UN officials and ambassadors.

"Today is a big day for Somalia," Somali government spokesperson, Abdisalam Mohamud, said.

The flight follows a visit to Mogadishu last year by the Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan - who said he wanted to challenge the idea that the Somali capital was a no-go area.

The start of the service was announced by Turkey's foreign minister during last month's international conference on Somalia in London hosted by the UK government.

World leaders have pledged to boost support for measures to fight piracy, terrorism and political stability in Somalia by substantially increasing international funding for the African Union military operation in the country and working more closely together.

Our reporter says a group of women were singing and dancing as the plane touched down on the tarmac.

"It is a very positive step, and one of many steps that we are now seeing in the last six or so months. We are quite happy to see that normalcy is returning," a Mogadishu resident told the BBC.

Turkish Airlines intends to operate a twice-weekly passenger service from Istanbul via Sudan's capital, Khartoum.

"We will connect the Somali people to the rest of the world. We hope that in the near future Somalia will become a stable place, a very normal country," an official from Turkish Airlines, Faruk Sazar, said after landing.

Somali Foreign Minister Abdullahi Haji told the BBC's Somali Service he felt the service would improve links between the international community and Somalia.

"It will also make it easier for the Somali diaspora to come home. It will bring us closer together," he said.

"I believe it will also encourage peace and development."

Several private East African airlines, including Kenya-based African Express, now fly into Somalia from neighbouring countries - but for many years Mogadishu's international airport was out of action, controlled by rival militia groups.

Al-Shabab, the Islamist group which joined al-Qaeda last month, is under attack on several fronts, with troops from Kenya and Ethiopia also gaining ground recently.

But the group still controls much of southern and central Somalia - and says it will wage a guerrilla war against the government.
Travelbug
BFCus Regularus

Postby Travelbug » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:13 pm

http://twitpic.com/8tayfw

@TurkishAirlines "Mogadishu. EUR 199. All inclusive. Return trip."
Travelbug
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:07 am

all inclusive?
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:43 am

Ultra Swain wrote:all inclusive?

All the quat u can chu!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Well,I did have a hare-brained scheme of going to Mog and trying to meet with Mr. Parsons,that dude from Manitoba who runs the firefighting dept. out of the airport,but 1500$ a day for venturing outside is a bit steep.....unless I'm happy with sleeping on the tarmac at the airport for a few days. "All you can eat" quat would definitely help.
Sri Lanky

Postby coldharvest » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:39 pm

travel2012 wrote:you sound like a commedian but since I wanna go to Mogadishu I'm not prepering to laugh. I need what you know in Mogadishu right now.

fuck off
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:58 am

Dont you think it would be more amusing to give him the info he asked for and see if he does anything with it?
How ya been Coldharvest?
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby vagabond » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:46 pm

crotalus01 wrote:Dont you think it would be more amusing to give him the info he asked for and see if he does anything with it?

Isn't it a bit of a waste of time? There's more than enough on Mogadishu on the board as well as the other perpetual destination, the Darien Gap, for those that want to do something.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:07 pm

crotalus01 wrote:Dont you think it would be more amusing to give him the info he asked for and see if he does anything with it?
How ya been Coldharvest?

I've been better
nice to see you posting again
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby nowonmai » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:36 pm

coldharvest wrote:
How ya been Coldharvest?

I've been better
nice to see you posting again

What's up? Moral or physical?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe