Mogadishu, Somalia

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Mogadishu, Somalia

Postby travel2012 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:43 am

Hey guys, I'm planning to visit in Mogadishu, Somalia. So, can anyone tell the type of hotels they have and what are the safest ones and what are the prizes?
travel2012
mach

Re: Mogadishu, Somalia

Postby Mikethehack » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:15 am

The Ranger bar, near Barakara market is quite good, as is the Pakistani chow house in Dagmada Kaaraan. Check out Checkpoint Pasta,a real fine Italian place. All the taxi drivers know where it is. As for places to stay? There's a bunch of cool places to stay around Hodan. They are all about the same, so you can take your pick. The Arbis in Hawa Abdi is also worth looking out for, ditto Soodaal in Barmudo.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby travel2012 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:27 pm

you sound like a commedian but since I wanna go to Mogadishu I'm not prepering to laugh. I need what you know in Mogadishu right now.
travel2012
mach

Postby Kurt » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:10 pm

travel2012 wrote: I need what you know in Mogadishu right now.

A tip:

Demanding information is more likely to earn ridicule rather than information here.

People here have been to Mog, but not as many as have been to Ecuador..so you might have to wait for an answer and you might not like the answer you get (like maybe someone will say "no hotel in Mogadishu is safe")

Besides staying at a hotel, what do you plan to do in Mogadishu?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:52 am

Kurt wrote:
travel2012 wrote: I need what you know in Mogadishu right now.

People here have been to Mog, but not as many as have been to Ecuador

We should take a poll actually.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Travelbug » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:13 am

travel2012 wrote:you sound like a commedian but since I wanna go to Mogadishu I'm not prepering to laugh. I need what you know in Mogadishu right now.

Sorry, travel 2012, but you may also be victim of a name swindle.
Unfortunately this forum has very little to do with travel.
Get better info on tripadvisor, where they list Hotels Shamo, Sahafi and Nasa-Hablod.
Please post your trip report here when you have indeed ... come back alive.
I'd be interested in the info too.
Maybe this will slowly bring this forum back to it's original intention.
Nowadays, it's rather the "coprolalia anonymous" for one-trip-ponys without a passport.
Travelbug
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:09 am

Travelbug wrote:
travel2012 wrote:you sound like a commedian but since I wanna go to Mogadishu I'm not prepering to laugh. I need what you know in Mogadishu right now.

Sorry, travel 2012, but you may also be victim of a name swindle.
Unfortunately this forum has very little to do with travel.
Get better info on tripadvisor, where they list Hotels Shamo, Sahafi and Nasa-Hablod.
Please post your trip report here when you have indeed ... come back alive.
I'd be interested in the info too.
Maybe this will slowly bring this forum back to it's original intention.
Nowadays, it's rather the "coprolalia anonymous" for one-trip-ponys without a passport.

Doesn't your blog have a Mog/Somalia trip report?
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:05 am

Lol
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:21 pm

bearanddragon wrote:

Lol

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:06 am

the Mog sez

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:11 pm

travel2012 wrote:Hey guys, I'm planning to visit in Mogadishu, Somalia. So, can anyone tell the type of hotels they have and what are the safest ones and what are the prizes?

The prize is you get to spend $1,500 a day for a shit room and a 16 man security detail.

What are you going to be doing out there?
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby AdventureDoc » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:03 am

I am also interested in this Somalia and specifically Mogadishu information. I have read the Somalia Report's awesome article on hotels and security and am also a regular reader of the service. I am interested in learning what NGO's, Private Contractor groups and PMC's are currently operating in the area.

Specifically, I am looking for the number of privately employed ex-pat staff that are currently working in the area of Mogadishu. I figured if anybody might be able to generate a semi-accurate number it would be Somalia Report. The names of the organizations would be a nice bonus.

Any suggestions about where to gather this info?
AdventureDoc
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:27 am

AdventureDoc wrote:I am also interested in this Somalia and specifically Mogadishu information. I have read the Somalia Report's awesome article on hotels and security and am also a regular reader of the service. I am interested in learning what NGO's, Private Contractor groups and PMC's are currently operating in the area.

Specifically, I am looking for the number of privately employed ex-pat staff that are currently working in the area of Mogadishu. I figured if anybody might be able to generate a semi-accurate number it would be Somalia Report. The names of the organizations would be a nice bonus.

Any suggestions about where to gather this info?

Not sure if this helps. Somalia Report could do better I'm sure but...

http://www.trust.org/alertnet/members/directory/?orgname=&headquarters=&countryoperation=somalia&expertise=&sortBy=Branch.name+asc&submit=Search

And Relief Web has changed its format but you can scroll through orgs under "Who's reporting" on the right hand side:

http://reliefweb.int/country/som

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:31 am

I stayed at Bashir's Peace Hotel. Its the priciest, most secure and well run place there. Good opportunity to schmooze since you are stuck in the hotel from about 4:30pm to 7am and there is no bar.

But it is 1000-1500 a day and the rooms are crap.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby vagabond » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:12 am

Ultra Swain wrote:I stayed at Bashir's Peace Hotel. Its the priciest, most secure and well run place there. Good opportunity to schmooze since you are stuck in the hotel from about 4:30pm to 7am and there is no bar.

But it is 1000-1500 a day and the rooms are crap.

Shitholes are expensive

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe