casablanca or alternative spot easily gotten to from spain

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

casablanca or alternative spot easily gotten to from spain

Postby kilroy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 pm

i'll be heading to spain in june or july to visit my brother and see about a girl. i already know exactly what i'll be doing in spain - checking out some graffiti, taking in some music, and getting fucked up with my brother. however, after that i'm meeting up with a fine young woman who will be hitting the road with me for a bit. she'll have been in spain for a while on business, so we're thinking of ideas on where else we could go. she basically told me that because i'm more travelled than her, so she is pretty much leaving the decision to me.

still keeping my options open, but i was thinking casablanca. been to morocco before, but only the east side, didn't have sufficient time there before to bother with the west. anyways, i was wondering if any of y'all had some suggestions about where we could go. somewhere easily accessed from spain, not too pricy, but still an interesting environment. romance is the objective of the trip, so a little touristy is okay. any input you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Re: casablanca or alternative spot easily gotten to from spa

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:02 am

Casablanca is a bit dull, kinda like a Mediterranian city but dirtier and less to see.Nearby Rabat is slightly more interesting and a 50 min train ride away.

However if you want to sack a muchacha go to Essouria, a few hours down the coast and way more romantic if touristier.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby redharen » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:12 am

I did a circle from Marrakech to Agadir to Taroudant to Ouarzazate and back to Marrakech. It worked well because Marrakech is a big city that works well as a base, and has plenty of interesting things to see on its own. The loop takes you into the Atlas Mountains through small Berber villages to the edge of the Sahara. It can be done by train and bus, and is just difficult enough to be fun, but not crazy in a way that would make your less-traveled friend hate you for taking her there. Good luck.
redharen
small ax

Postby vagabond » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:23 am

I have a pretty long reply on this thread:

http://cafe.comebackalive.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=54706

If you just need easy access from Spain and into the interior then Tangiers is probably your best bet. For the west coast, and close by, check into Asilah and Larache or other small towns around there. Further, and a bit more of a trek w/ probably an overnight somewhere else I liked Essaouria and there's plenty of windy, quiet beaches north and south. Heard things about al-Jadida and if, you have the cash and don't mind other tourists, Agadir was the other major destination on the coast. Have fun.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:44 pm

last time i was in morocco i came in via tangiers, i think this time i'll just fly rather than deal with that mess. good looking out on the essouria tip, i didn't even think about that place. and thanks for the route recommend, red.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:11 pm

kilroy wrote:last time i was in morocco i came in via tangiers, i think this time i'll just fly rather than deal with that mess. good looking out on the essouria tip, i didn't even think about that place. and thanks for the route recommend, red.

Yeah that'd probably work. Algerciras is a hole. Not sure where you'll be in Spain but easyjet has flights from Madrid to Marrakech.

I think I might've also done red's Ouarzazarte - Marrakech route from the desert and those little towns are quite nice with some decent hiking. Also, and I forget which place (but highly tempted to say Tenerhir) I was able to split a room with someone very cheaply at a decent hotel w/ good sheets, hot shower, and with a clean pool.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:02 pm

just be careful you know what youre gettin into with your femme. i started with a similar plan last feb and ended up married 6 months later. im now fat old and traditional. make sure you're ready for these outcomes when you travel with femmes.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:33 am

Fansy wrote:just be careful you know what youre gettin into with your femme. i started with a similar plan last feb and ended up married 6 months later. im now fat old and traditional. make sure you're ready for these outcomes when you travel with femmes.

don't forget future member of the Axis of Evil

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Go to Ceuta or Melilla and watch desperate people throw themselves on the wire. Assuming anyone really wants to live in Spain these days.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby kilroy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Fansy wrote:just be careful you know what youre gettin into with your femme. i started with a similar plan last feb and ended up married 6 months later. im now fat old and traditional. make sure you're ready for these outcomes when you travel with femmes.

i wouldn't be afraid of that outcome if that's what happens, but i tend not to fret about hypotheticals until they become realized.

Mikethehack wrote:Go to Ceuta or Melilla and watch desperate people throw themselves on the wire. Assuming anyone really wants to live in Spain these days.

sounds interesting to watch, just a bit lacking on the romantic part of the equation.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:59 pm

kilroy wrote:
Mikethehack wrote:Go to Ceuta or Melilla and watch desperate people throw themselves on the wire. Assuming anyone really wants to live in Spain these days.

sounds interesting to watch, just a bit lacking on the romantic part of the equation.

Of course it is romantic. Tell her to marry you, or you will throw her over the wire to the unspeakables.
The website is about DPs and tips on how to get laid in dangerous places is one of the services we offer. Go to the Hallmark website if you are looking for something fluffier.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack

Postby gnaruki » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Gibraltar to Tangiers. You can get a cheap ride on a ferry across that way. South of Spain transportation is mostly bus and car, most of the riveria is very expensive, you might want to check out southern Portugal for cheaper fun times too.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Take her on a road trip across poverty stricken Europe.
Before World War 3 starts.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack

Postby kilroy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:09 pm

the ferry is overrated as all hell, i had to do it to believe it though. poverty EU road trip would be fun, i was considering eastern europe for a minute too, western eurozone is a bit pricy, even during a currency crisis.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Casablanca sucks. Its dirty, crowded as fuck and really nothing much to do or see there. Marrakech is a much better destination. Ouarzazette is also cool if you can deal with the damn flies - I felt like I was in an African famine commercial from the 80s while I was there. Although it was funny to watch some Flemish girl try and pop some toast into her mouth and chowing down about 20 flies in the process (out in the Sahara...the flies are bad in Ouarzazette but they are WAY worse when you get out into the Shahara dunes). And the Atlas mountains are pretty cool.
Avoid the bus if you want some real adventure - take a share taxi from Marrakech. Its a little more expensive but you can get the taxi to stop when you see something interesting (unlike the bus). And you are guaranteed to meet some interesting people! Course, it kinda sucks when you have 11 people crammed into a 4 door sedan designed for 4...
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe