Crisis Consulting Firm, Kidnap Insurance for Pakistan

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Crisis Consulting Firm, Kidnap Insurance for Pakistan

Postby james__ » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:46 pm

Dear All,

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for providers of kidnapping insurance or the crisis consulting firms they employ. I will be taking a job in Pakistan soon and, though I have traveled pretty extensively in the country, I have not been there in the last nine years and never in a capacity where I was not continually moving.

Thank you in advance for any response.

--james__
james__
mach

Re: Crisis Consulting Firm, Kidnap Insurance for Pakistan

Postby Kurt » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:51 am

james__ wrote:Dear All,

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for providers of kidnapping insurance or the crisis consulting firms they employ. I will be taking a job in Pakistan soon and, though I have traveled pretty extensively in the country, I have not been there in the last nine years and never in a capacity where I was not continually moving.

Thank you in advance for any response.

--james__

Kidnapping insurance? Ingle International.

But the disclaimer is they sponsor this website (click on Visit our sponsor for travel insurance) but I have talked to the owner of the company, Robin Ingle, and he knows his stuff. Give them a call at least for some quotes and tell them that you joined this board.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:53 am

Or go to Google and search for KRE - although honestly if you get snatched in Pakistan its not like getting snatched in, say, Colombia. They are more likely to make you an internet superstar via As Sahaab than ask for any ransom. Ask Danny Pearl...
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Protective Concepts » Wed May 30, 2012 9:45 am

Depending on the job you are taking your employer may provide it anyway. K&R policies are usually kept close hold but I would check this first. The policy will also normally include some level of preventative training prior to deployment.

In terms of the kidnap response firms some of the main ones are:

Neil Young & Associates

Clayton Consultants (now part of Triple canopy I believe)

ASI Global (many of the responders were formerly with Kroll)

Control Risks (along with a plethora of other services they offer, CR got its start in kidnap response)

In many/most cases your response company will be dictated by the insurance provider so you may have limited control over who you use.

Hope this helps.
Protective Concepts - Travel & Personal Security
http://protectiveconcepts.wordpress.com/
Protective Concepts

Postby Kurt » Thu May 31, 2012 1:09 am

Protective Concepts wrote:
Neil Young & Associates

The name Crazy Horse was getting kind of dated.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Thu May 31, 2012 1:43 am

K & R insurance is some crazy stuff.

What to watch out for: Policy wording that says that coverage is on a reimbursement basis. In other words, "After it's all over, send us an accounting of everything that you paid, and then we will reimburse you - for whatever amount we are obligated to pay under the terms of the insurance contract.

If you don't have enough dough to pay for ransom, then what ? That's a good question.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu May 31, 2012 2:50 am

Kurt wrote:
Protective Concepts wrote:
Neil Young & Associates

The name Crazy Horse was getting kind of dated.

Out of the blue, into the black.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu May 31, 2012 4:52 am

Detroit_Pierogi wrote:If you don't have enough dough to pay for ransom, then what ? That's a good question.

I have a kill every fucker involved policy...if they fumbled the ball that would include the insurance provider as well.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Thu May 31, 2012 5:59 am

coldharvest wrote:
Detroit_Pierogi wrote:If you don't have enough dough to pay for ransom, then what ? That's a good question.

I have a kill every fucker involved policy...if they fumbled the ball that would include the insurance provider as well.

I had a chance to move to Florida and get into selling K & R to South and Central American types. Those with shit piles of money.
Or at least people from those areas represented the bulk of this agency's business.

I couldn't help but wonder: Even if we sell some dude the most perfect thing under the sun, but the guy's wife or kid does not survive the experience. I'm gonna guess that he will be a very, very unhappy guy. And he is going to make his dissatisfaction be known. Multiply that by every single such event that happens.

I asked the FL guys if they ever had problems like that. "Yeah, it happens."

It's still something that I could get into. I am ashamed to admit to how much insurance experience I have (= a lot). But as has been pointed out above, it's not just selling someone a policy. There is a lot of other 'risk management' stuff involved.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Protective Concepts » Thu May 31, 2012 10:33 am

Most if not all K&R policies come with a prevention piece. This is in many regards the jewel in the policy because it provides or pays for preventative training for the policy holder if they take advantage of it. I'm not an insurance guy but my understanding is its pretty much up to the policy holder to utilize/take advantage this part of the policy.

Kidnapping - to a certain degree anyway - is a pretty preventable crime (although I realize plenty of kidnap victims wouldn't agree with that and in some cases it's not). At a minimum there are many proactive steps that a potential victim can take to reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim.

Having the K&R policy also shouldn't cause a false sense of security. Experiencing a kidnapping - even on a good day - is going to be a traumatic experience for the victim and his/her family.
Protective Concepts - Travel & Personal Security
http://protectiveconcepts.wordpress.com/
Protective Concepts

Return to Black Flag Cafe