Conviasa? Banned.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Conviasa? Banned.

Postby Royal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:40 am

4 April 2012

Venezuela rejects EU safety ban on state-run Conviasa

Venezuelan authorities say the European Union's decision to ban state-run airline Conviasa from EU airspace over safety concerns is unwarranted.
A foreign ministry statement said they were evaluating reciprocal steps.
The EU said that there had been "numerous safety concerns" regarding Conviasa.

The airline, whose only European destination was Madrid, operates mainly in Venezuela but also has some regional flights.
In a regular update of its air safety list, the EU's executive arm, the European Commission, said there had been "numerous safety concerns arising from accidents and the results of ramp checks at EU airports".

Two other Venezuelan carriers, Estellar Latinoamerica and Aerotuy, have been placed under strict monitoring.

"The decision... is totally disproportionate and runs counter to the considerations made by the International Civil Aviation Organisation, regarding the conditions for the safe operations of Venezuela's civil aviation," a foreign ministry statement said.
On Monday, Venezuelan Transport Minister Elsa Gutierrez said that the government had approved funds of some $500m (£314m) to buy new planes for Conviasa's fleet of planes.

In September 2010, Conviasa suspended its domestic flights for a fortnight to allow safety checks after one of its planes, an ATR-42 turboprop, crashed in Venezuela, killing 17 people.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Re: Conviasa? Banned.

Postby Mikethehack » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Venezuelan air hostesses are might fine. Why the hell is the EU banning the airline? Jealousy?
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Re: Conviasa? Banned.

Postby friendlyskies » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:30 pm

Ugh, it's already so much more expensive and inconvenient to fly into Venezuela than Colombia - that's one reason why I went to Colombia first and traveled into Venezuela overland. Oh, and I was thinking I could get a cheap ticket from Caracas back to Bogota? US$500. Riiiigggghhhht.

This little move looks obviously political (though obviously I know nothing about Conviasa's fleet), and my tin foil hat's easy explanation is that they're targeting tourism so people don't get to see the real Venezuela, just the news stories about dictatorship and crime. Which is 80% bullshit. I just watched most of a PBS special about Hugo that was one of the most ridiculous bits of disinformation I've seen since the Cold War, it was like, "Did they visit the same country I was just in?" Not to say Venezuela is a shining beacon of democracy and justice or anything, simply that it's not nearly as bad as you'd think watching Western teevee.

Why else would they try to isolate Venezuela by targeting commercial flights? Just because they can? For instance, most governments aren't allowed to blockade Wikileaks, because governments have to follow international and domestic laws, so the banks did it. They answer to no one. Perhaps this is the same sort of thing?
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Return to Black Flag Cafe