Costa Rica

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Costa Rica

Postby Q » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:04 pm

friendlyskies wrote:Oh good grief, yes, Escazú is nicer than San José, but that's like saying Compton is nicer than South Central. If you're in this for plush living, Peninsula Papagayo is nicer than Escazú in the same way that Monte Carlo is nicer than Compton. But really there's no comparison.

I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby friendlyskies » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Just FYI, here are some pics of Papagayo.

According to Costa Rican law, no beach is private.... but you need a boat to get there if you aren't
staying at the resort.

Another view, featuring the golf courses.

The Zürcher-designed Four Seasons, where you should DEFINITELY go for a meal, at the very least.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby friendlyskies » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Q wrote:I don't know when the fuck they took this picture, because that pool is always loaded with smokin' hot Colombianas who've flown in to shop. Catch a short hop to Jaco and or Playa Grande/Tamarindo for a day of surfing, then back for dinner at Ka'Kau. Have the steak, it is from Argentina.

You know, I wasn't going to mention this, but you had to go and facepalm, and now I can't stop myself. Tamarindo is like 5 hours from Escazú. A day of surfing and back in time for dinner?

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby nowonmai » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:08 pm

friendlyskies wrote:
Q wrote:I don't know when the fuck they took this picture, because that pool is always loaded with smokin' hot Colombianas who've flown in to shop. Catch a short hop to Jaco and or Playa Grande/Tamarindo for a day of surfing, then back for dinner at Ka'Kau. Have the steak, it is from Argentina.

You know, I wasn't going to mention this, but you had to go and facepalm, and now I can't stop myself. Tamarindo is like 5 hours from Escazú. A day of surfing and back in time for dinner?

Gentlemen travellers dine late.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:48 pm

friendlyskies wrote:

20 minute helo flight from SJO to Jaco. 40 min to 1 hour plane flight to Liberia.

Plenty of time back and forth. And you also know how late Ticos eat. I will grant you probably have a broader scope of CR than I do, but on the topics I open my mouth about, I'm as spot on as a diamond fucking bullet.

Do Not Test.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby flipflop » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:27 am

Sounds like a shithole full of spivs, spics and stinking hippies

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby gnaruki » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:44 am

I think i'll work on my fake scottish heritage and avoid the sun for the most part.

I hope they have badly written t-shirts.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 am

Q, give it up, good grief. You're giving incorrect information and you know it. Yes, I know it's hilarious to trick people with bad info into making bad decisions, sure. I was going to let you get away with it, but then you had to go and facepalm. You didn't mention the fact that you'd paid (or did I pay?) for a fucking helicopter ride or plane (which means you'd still need to make reservations, go through security, rent a car or hire a cab/shuttle or wait for a bus to and from both airports, etc etc) to have your day of surfing *ahem*. But even if you did, in fact, do that, it's not an option most tourists would have, or would even want. Not when they can stay in a much more pleasant destination than Escazú, and surf right outside their door. Come on.

And Costa Ricans eat dinner late? Good grief, dude. Most restaurants close at 9 or 10pm, when Spaniards are just getting hungry. I have to warn tourists headed to small towns (obviously places with big tourist/expat populations, like Escazú, have more international hours) to make sure to eat dinner early or risk going to bed hungry.

ARGH.

See, this is why it's frustrating to work in tourism. Yes, I know people like to fuck with each other online and give deliberately misleading information, haha how hilarious. But just because you want to fuck with gnaruki doesn't mean other people won't read this thread and think it's for real. And then they get pissed off, and start bad-mouthing Costa Rica, or Central America, or whatever. "I was told Escazú was within day trip range of Tamarindo and it's NOT! I was told Costa Rica was safe as velcro and I got MUGGED! I was told Costa Ricans eat dinner late and the restaurant was CLOSED. I had a terrible time and Costa Rica sucks and no one should go there, go to Cancún instead!" That's no skin off your nose, but someone's going to lose out. Probably a few people. It's unnecessary and annoying and not even really that funny imo. </rant>

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby flipflop » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 am

friendlyskies wrote:</rant>

Sadly, that's all you do on the BFC, it's getting very old, boring in fact

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Osiris » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:09 pm

flipflop wrote:
friendlyskies wrote:</rant>

Sadly, that's all you do on the BFC, it's getting very old, boring in fact

Cheers

Nah, I'd say Skies has a point.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Who fucking asked you?

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby gnaruki » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:33 pm

friendlyskies wrote:Q.....fuck off.....blah blah.....kiosk info explosion

Thanks, friendly! I know when people are fucking with me and I research from multiple sources.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:27 pm

flipflop wrote:Who fucking asked you?

Cheers

Dear Flipflop,

I apologize for my recent outburst. Please find it in your cold, icebox of a heart to forgive me.

Forever yours,

Osiris
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:14 am

Ya know...I can't even be bothered, so I'll sum it up with this:

You're getting advice from someone who thinks there are 7,000 US troops secretly stashed away in the wilds of Costa Rica.

~Fin~

- The Dear Leader
Q

Postby gnaruki » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Obviously a nato cover up, but i think that was a few decades ago.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe