Costa Rica

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Costa Rica

Postby gnaruki » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 am

Where do you find cheap thrills here?

The airfare and hotel is already taken care of.

Any good day trips in NW CR?

It looks overpriced and full of retards.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Re: Costa Rica

Postby OneLungMcClung » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Safe as brushing your teeth. Lonely Planet is a much better resource than the Flag, yo. I think Friendly Skies lives there, PM her.

NW you ask? Surf is good all along the pacific coast. Lots of spots. You can find whatever size set fits your bill, many of the beaches will be able to front everything from a 1/2 meter newbie wave up to a 2 meter beach break with a decent pipe. The Pacific side tends to be better sets than the Caribbean side.

You could go to Volcan Arenal, it is a full day trip, but lots of play time around there, stuff to do like zip line, forest hike, etc.

If you want a good adventure get into the mountains, especially SE of the capital, take 2 or 3 days and go river rafting.

I have to recommend fish tacos and coconut pie at Nogi's in Playa Tamarindo. Very touristy town, lots of Muricans and Euros, felt like I was in Rosarito in the 80's, but damn good food. And I'm well versed in fish tacos and coconut pie.

Like I said, safe as Velcro. Do you know why Costa Rica doesn't have a military?

BECAUSE CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Money Talks...
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Figured as much. I may as well do as idiots do and make no plans and see what happens.

I can't complain. Free house in papagayo peninsula and free roundtrip airfare.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Yeah, I lived and worked there for several years. Maybe this will help:

gnaruki wrote:Figured as much. I may as well do as idiots do and make no plans and see what happens.

Fitting!

Where do you find cheap thrills here?

Not in fucking Papagayo. Who goes to a five-star resort community for cheap thrills?

Any good day trips in NW CR?

Yes, lots of amazing trips. But you're going to be on Papagayo, why not just go enjoy another round of golf? No seriously, there are tons of great day trips. It depends on what you want, though - amazing hiking, wonderful hot springs, so-so scuba diving, gorgeous waterfalls, festive beach towns, isolated playas, and so on.

It looks overpriced and full of retards.

Duh, Papagayo is the most expensive resort community in Central America, not sure if that's really "overpriced" since you get one of the top Four Seasons on the planet, three world-class golf courses, one of the best spas in Costa Rica, and something like 25 semi-private beaches. But, yes, if you choose to have a five-star vacation, you'll be paying more than the average traveler. Is it full of retards? Judging from this particular comment, I'd say that there will be at least one around while you're there.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby gnaruki » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:53 pm

you betcha, thanks friendly.

this'll be more fun than wondering around with a backpack full of beer and ice and nearly stepping on a cougar while looking for sloths.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:59 pm

OneLungMcClung wrote:Safe as brushing your teeth.
Like I said, safe as Velcro. Do you know why Costa Rica doesn't have a military?

BECAUSE CHARLIE DON'T SURF!

Actually, that's not really true, there is a fair amount of crime directed at tourists in Costa Rica these days, which is deliberately underreported. If you leave the resort it's worth taking a few precautions. For instance, don't leave anything visible in your rental car, always use guarded parking, don't go onto unlit beaches at night, and if you do score drugs, be aware that everyone knows you scored drugs and is keeping an eye on you. Don't invite your dealer back to your room. If you invite prostitutes back to your room, keep an eye on your stuff. Be prepared for a mugging; leave your cards and docs back at the hotel (always carry a photocopy of your passport, however, it's the law). Keep an eye on cameras and other personal belongings in restaurants and whatnot. The usual.

No biggie, but Costa Rica is a lot more "dangerous" than people think. Which makes it that much more dangerous - herds of stupid people attract predators.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Q » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:59 pm

Pfft...Don't fall for the trendy "you gotta eat leaves and see the real CR" hipster/art bullshit. Stay in Escazu, club and lounge by the pool. Seriously. San Jose is fucking dirty (and not like, "oh, how quaint"...more like that scummy dirty feeling you get in New Orleans.), the roads are total...TOTAL shit. The Caribbean coast is totally fucking fucked between USAmerican cruise patrons, and Haitian gangsters. If one doesn't smoke your ass, the other will run you over with their hoveround scooter.

I don't know when the fuck they took this picture, because that pool is always loaded with smokin' hot Colombianas who've flown in to shop. Catch a short hop to Jaco and or Playa Grande/Tamarindo for a day of surfing, then back for dinner at Ka'Kau. Have the steak, it is from Argentina.

There's always something going on at the Parque Central Escazu', and a ton of great little places to eat, party withing like a 3 block radius. If you go, there is a little "soda" just off the road that makes the best carne asada you'll ever fucking have. I mean, I almost cum everytime I have one. (this could also be because the waitress has probably THE most precise hip/ass/tit ratio on the planet, and doesn't mind showing it off.) If you aren't a loud ass motherfucker, they will feed and water the fuck out of you because they're just that fucking nice, for almost nothing.

Don't forget $20 (atleast that is what is was last time I was there 6 months ago) for your "exit fee" at the airport. They claim it is for their national parks, but that is total shit. Make sure you have the cash BEFORE you get to the airport, because the ATM machines will rape your lily white ass in fees.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby svizzerams » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:25 am

I liked the beaches along the Nicoya Penninsula. What was interesting was how the beaches are all different (some have black sand, some have red, some crushed shells, some gold sand.....right next to each other).

Lots of the beaches looked like this....nice and quiet and empty.

I'm not a surfer, but my boyfriend was...(note past tense) - he complained a) the waves weren't good b) the locals were "agro" c) the prices were too high d) it has been discovered e) too many people f) yadda yadda whinge whinge. And it was his idea to go there. I had a great time - but decided I liked being single best after all and would rather travel by myself. Do be careful like FS said - anything you don't keep an eye on is likely to be stolen instantly - even your ratty old flip flops sitting next to you if you fall asleep on the beach (true story - but not mine - I hate flip flops). The roads do require a sturdy vehicle - small SUV (like a RAV) with good clearance is a good idea, because there will be streams to ford if you go to the the Nicoya Penninsula. Roads in Namibia are far better.

I loved the beaches, not too crowded where I was, lots of birds to watch and shells to find.

View from ferry from Punta Arenas to Nicoya Pennisula - if you keep an eye out you might see an alligator
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Q » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:19 am

Just an FYI on the surfing;

The crowds have moved south to Jaco and Hermosa. Nicoya is now pretty much open space, still same good surf.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby OneLungMcClung » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:56 am

I had the whole beach to myself at Tamarindo.

Locals are likely to be agro about "their" waves no matter where you surf. I'm so sorry you had to listen to the ex whinge on about it Miss Svizz :-) ; Everywhere I have surfed that had locals I always approach it like it is their waves, not mine.

I second Q about San Jose; it is filthy and not quaint.

I know I was being snarky about the "safe as Velcro", but standard rules apply: watch your stuff, be smart.

But in Costa Rica I did not run into anywhere near the trouble I had in Saigon/HCMC as far as theft, thievery, touts, and swindles. I was not carefree in CR, but I also didn't feel like a hunted man.
Money Talks...
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:03 am

Q wrote:Pfft...Don't fall for the trendy "you gotta eat leaves and see the real CR" hipster/art bullshit. Stay in Escazu, club and lounge by the pool. Seriously. San Jose is fucking dirty (and not like, "oh, how quaint"...more like that scummy dirty feeling you get in New Orleans.), the roads are total...TOTAL shit. The Caribbean coast is totally fucking fucked between USAmerican cruise patrons, and Haitian gangsters. If one doesn't smoke your ass, the other will run you over with their hoveround scooter.

I don't know when the fuck they took this picture, because that pool is always loaded with smokin' hot Colombianas who've flown in to shop. Catch a short hop to Jaco and or Playa Grande/Tamarindo for a day of surfing, then back for dinner at Ka'Kau. Have the steak, it is from Argentina.

There's always something going on at the Parque Central Escazu', and a ton of great little places to eat, party withing like a 3 block radius. If you go, there is a little "soda" just off the road that makes the best carne asada you'll ever fucking have. I mean, I almost cum everytime I have one. (this could also be because the waitress has probably THE most precise hip/ass/tit ratio on the planet, and doesn't mind showing it off.) If you aren't a loud ass motherfucker, they will feed and water the fuck out of you because they're just that fucking nice, for almost nothing.

Don't forget $20 (atleast that is what is was last time I was there 6 months ago) for your "exit fee" at the airport. They claim it is for their national parks, but that is total shit. Make sure you have the cash BEFORE you get to the airport, because the ATM machines will rape your lily white ass in fees.

Contender for best travel report of the year IMO. I feel like I could go there and guarantee a good meal, have some eye candy and do so economically without getting shot. It doesn't get any better than that.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Awesome. Some nice old lady gave me her time share because her children are so unappreciative.

I'll be drinking scotch and playing golf and smoking cheap cigars and kayaking
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:51 pm

nowonmai wrote:
Q wrote:Pfft...Don't fall for the trendy "you gotta eat leaves and see the real CR" hipster/art bullshit. Stay in Escazu, club and lounge by the pool. Seriously. San Jose is fucking dirty (and not like, "oh, how quaint"...more like that scummy dirty feeling you get in New Orleans.), the roads are total...TOTAL shit. The Caribbean coast is totally fucking fucked between USAmerican cruise patrons, and Haitian gangsters. If one doesn't smoke your ass, the other will run you over with their hoveround scooter.

Contender for best travel report of the year IMO. I feel like I could go there and guarantee a good meal, have some eye candy and do so economically without getting shot. It doesn't get any better than that.

Are there underwater rocks? You know, is the das playa just sandy?
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:33 pm

nowonmai wrote:

I'll second that for best travel report.

Costa Rica is pretty nice. In San Jose the cab drivers are pretty helpful and don't drive like absolute maniacs like in other places. The gold museum was interesting, there was some good shopping around the city. It has a more developed feel and look to it compared to San Salvador, Guatemala City or Managua. If you get really bored, you can catch a bus over to San Juan del Sur in Nica and live the dream.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 pm

Q wrote:Stay in Escazu, club and lounge by the pool. Seriously. San Jose is fucking dirty (and not like, "oh, how quaint"...more like that scummy dirty feeling you get in New Orleans.), the roads are total...TOTAL shit.

Oh good grief, yes, Escazú is nicer than San José, but that's like saying Compton is nicer than South Central. If you're in this for plush living, Peninsula Papagayo is nicer than Escazú in the same way that Monte Carlo is nicer than Compton. But really there's no comparison. The roads between the Liberia airport and the resort area have been recently paved, btw. As long as you're flying into LIR, you won't even have to be within four hours of San José or Escazú.

OneLungMcClung wrote:I had the whole beach to myself at Tamarindo.

I actually don't hate Tamarindo, like a lot of people, but I prefer Playa Grande. If I'm there with nightlife people, I'll stay in Tamarindo and go to Playa Grande, when I'm by myself or with non-alcoholics I prefer just to stay in Playa Grande and get groceries/lunch in Tamarindo.

I know I was being snarky about the "safe as Velcro", but standard rules apply: watch your stuff, be smart.

But in Costa Rica I did not run into anywhere near the trouble I had in Saigon/HCMC as far as theft, thievery, touts, and swindles. I was not carefree in CR, but I also didn't feel like a hunted man.

Oh, I get you. But the tourist literature implies the same thing, that Costa Rica is incredibly safe, which makes people careless. Even if it's not Saigon (where I had absolutely no problems, actually - of course, I was there for four days), I like to stress that there is crime, and tourists are targeted.

svizzerams wrote:I'm not a surfer, but my boyfriend was...(note past tense) - he complained a) the waves weren't good b) the locals were "agro" c) the prices were too high d) it has been discovered e) too many people f) yadda yadda whinge whinge.

Well, gnaruki is going down there in rainy season, he'll have smaller crowds. (Prices *would* be lower, but he's in Papagayo lol.) That said, I don't think I've ever met a surfer over 30 who didn't complain that things weren't as awesome as they were back in the good old days. Even in El Salvador - I mean, they were reminiscing about a war that killed 85,000 people because the waves weren't as crowded. I take it with a grain of salt. The closest kickass surfing to Papagayo is probably Witch's Rock and Ollie's Point, which are both boat-access mostly and not particularly crowded, then Tamarindo and points south, which are always crowded. Nosara is everyone's favorite on the peninsula, but it's probably a solid 3 hours from Papagayo, maybe more if it's been raining a lot - I don't think they've paved the road from Samara.
Last edited by friendlyskies on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe